all posts post new thread

Lee's Training Log: SFG1 Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So I'm going to focus on side lying rotation drills for the time being.

OS segmental rolling comes in handy for that (and than other rolling thingies)... Rotation issues are sometimes coupled with thoracic extension issues, so make sure you clear that as well. Once you clear these your already strong TGU will probably get stronger.

OS segmental rolling comes in handy for that (and than other rolling thingies)... Rotation issues are sometimes coupled with thoracic extension issues, so make sure you clear that as well. Once you clear these your already strong TGU will probably get stronger.
That amazing, I'll get to work on this! Thank you!

Today's session:

Light day

C&P 3 x 1 28kg
Pull ups 3 x 1 bw

Snatch 24kg 60/7mins

Notes: First time doing snatches in a while, took a bit of time to get my groove back. Overall these felt great. My best snatch test was at 24kg x 126/10mins. So I'm happy that my light day came out as 60. Last time I started using heavier bell to snatch so that when I picked up the 24kg it felt lighter, I'm not going to do that this time, I'm going to stick with the 24kg and continue to get further more proficient with this bell.

Mobility work was done as discussed in previous post.

Today's session:

Medium day

OS Resets

C&P 3 x 1,2 28kg
Pull ups 3 x 1,2 bw

Swings 32kg x 60/4mins

NL this week 30

I'm away on holiday mon-fri next week, so I'll do my heavy day before going on Sunday. I will have space for 2 bells so I'm going to take my 28kg & 32kg with me so I can do my swings and presses. I'll either do my snatches with the 28 or do a light day with swings, I'll plan that ad hoc on the day. I won't be able to do pull-ups though, that will have to go on hold for my light and medium days until I return, unless an unsuspecting tree branch near by gets the shock of its life!

Have a strong day everyone!

Last edited:
Today's session:

Heavy day

C&P 4 x 1,2,3 28kg
Pull ups 4 x 1,2,3 bw

Swings 32kg 146/11mins

Notes: Lucky day today, I rolled 11mins! I was surprised how quickly my swings dropped off after hitting my previous PR. I know the longer sessions will do me good in preparation for the 10min snatch test. Also although I feel I went easy on the light snatches, I know I could have gone easier, I'm only focusing on technique on this day (a reminder for myself).

On another note I passed the seated twist assessment today as well, so now I'm going to be focused on the active leg raise as that's my next opportunity area when it comes to mobility. I have been looking online for the FMS test equipment, but it's quite pricey... is it worth the money in relation to cost/benefit... or is it just as good with the guidelines from the book?

Looking good!
Don't beat yourself up about 'dropping off'; remember that you're doing the Swings after your C&P Ladders, rather than first out the gate. That makes a big difference. You probably are retaining more than you think!

Looking good!
Don't beat yourself up about 'dropping off'; remember that you're doing the Swings after your C&P Ladders, rather than first out the gate. That makes a big difference. You probably are retaining more than you think!

Thank you for the encouragement! I looked at the number of reps at the end and thought "eh?". What you say makes perfect sense, and I hadn't looked at it from that angle. I just need to continue turning up and working the plan! On the plus side 146 is the most I've ever done with a 32kg, so that's a new achievement!

@Lee Hunt , nice to see somebody at about the same stage in the RoP as me and with similar weights for the press, swing and snatch! best of luck!
I know! I somehow had missed your log until last week and noticed were at a similar progression. I'll definitely be following your log for the future! Same to you, best of luck!

While I've been away on holiday I've been very busy trying to catch up with all my family, however I've done a few things that I can add as variety over the past few days.

I did some climbing for the first time ever, really enjoyed it, my forearms and grip were seriously pumped during and afterwards.

I also did a little Bodyweight challenge which resulted in some good one arm push-ups, unfortunately I couldn't hit the up part of a one arm one leg push up. But I enjoyed giving it a go, and got further than on my last attempt some time ago!

Last session:

Light day

C&P 4 x 1 28kg
(Missed pull-ups, but did climbing instead)

Snatch 30/4mins 24kg

Today's session:

Medium day

C&P 4 x 1,2 28kg
Pull ups 4 x 1,2 bw

Swings 60/4mins 32kg

Notes: Swings felt better breaking them up a bit, and not doing too many continuously on the first set. It felt like a holiday this week rolling 2 4mins sessions!

Ok so I don't usually change programs before finishing the cycle, and I do feel bad about this. However I've changed my short term goals. I've signed up for SFG 1 in October! For this reason I have 7 months to prepare. While I can prepare via ROP I will be following the 8 week preparation program below...

How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I

This will give me a baseline of what can be achieved in the 8 weeks so that I can use the same program Aug/Sep with confidence.

I will be posting my first session shortly!

SFG1 Prep wk1 s1 -

Warm up
Crawls
Goblet Squats

Single Press 6 x 5 @ 24kg
1h Swings 10 x OTM x 16 @ 32kg
Falmers walks 4 x 90sec = 2 x 90secs @ 2 x 24kg, 2 x 90secs @ 2 x 20kg

Notes:

•Presses felt good, my Clean on the left hand felt better than right, which felt like my elbow was flared out too much. Never had that before, I need to review that in my next press session.

•Swings felt great, OTM is definitely my favourite pace, that's the most I've swung in a session with a 32kg, and would never have believed I would be able to achieve that before my S&S journey.

•First time training falmers walks, this really did challenge my grip and forearms. I can see how this will transfer to the other lifts. I started out with double 24's on first 2 sets, and finished the remaining 2 sets with the 20's.

I would also like to thank @Anna C for her help and guidance in setting up the next 8 weeks for me! And the barrage of questions lol! :)

Nice work on session 1! Thanks due also to @aciampa for the program... Al - you can follow along with Lee on this one if you like.

Ok so I don't usually change programs before finishing the cycle, and I do feel bad about this. However I've changed my short term goals. I've signed up for SFG 1 in October! For this reason I have 7 months to prepare. While I can prepare via ROP I will be following the 8 week preparation program below...

How to Prepare for and Pass Your SFG Level I

This will give me a baseline of what can be achieved in the 8 weeks so that I can use the same program Aug/Sep with confidence.

I will be posting my first session shortly!
Dude I wish you strength and power on this trip. You are going to do great and I for one look forward to reading you entries and will be following along VERY closely!

Kick a#@ brother and stayed focused!

SFG1 Prep wk1 s2-

Warm up
Crawls
Goblet Squats
Bottoms up press

Kettlebell deadlift 3 x 5 @ 76kg
TGU 5 x 1 per arm @ 32kg
Double Clean 5 x 5 @ 2 x 24kg
Double Squat 5 x 5 @ 2 x 24kg

Notes:

•I don't have access to my deadlift bar, so I can't go super heavy, but I will keep the movement in and complete it with double kb's

•Set 3 onwards my transition from the elbow was smooth and not jerky, much more controlled. I will continue to focus on this until it's ingrained.

•Double cleans felt really good, doing them for 5 reps per set is helping to get a more smoother finish.

•Double squats were the ones I was expecting to have the most trouble with, as I haven't really focused on front squats. However they felt great, and prying goblet Squats have really helped open up the hips to go all the way down.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom