all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Dealing with nuisance training injuries

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Smile-n-Nod

Level 5 Valued Member
I've been training S&S for several months. In the last month or two, I've accumulate several very minor nuisance injuries (or just pain in muscles and tendons) that might or might not be due to S&S.

Obviously, I can go see my doctor about the injuries themselves, but I'm wondering how to know when I should just keep on training and wait for the pain to go away, and when I should consider going to the doctor.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Probably when you get to the point of needing to ask others...

You could let the issue rest (no S&S) for a week or two and see if it goes away. But if it's still an issue, seek out a physical therapist who understands what kind of lifting you partake in.

Also, I'd recommend meeting with an SFG to make sure your technique is dialed in.

@Smile-n-Nod, the first order of business is to stop doing whatever's causing your pain. Take a day or a few days off, indulge in a nice, easy walk, and/or a long, hot shower, and/or a massage, and/or anything else restorative. If you still have your aches and pains after a few days off/easy, I'd go to the doctor.

Then ease back in and see how you're doing. Start over with a light weight, increase gradually.

Always good to see an SFG and/or post a video here.

-S-

I think it's important to make a distinction between discomfort and pain. Another important thing to observe is whether the issue is at a muscle or at a joint. A discomfort at a muscle can be something that goes away when you train some more. Pain in a joint is a red light telling you to stop immediately.

These can be hard things to learn. It takes time and experience. In any case, it is better to be safe than sorry every time, all the time.

When resting up, look into the work of Feldenkrais. A wonderful soft restorative movement practice. There was talk of it on a recently revived thread:

Stability is Nice

As effective and fascinating as it is, it does take a while to 'get it'. To be fair it takes me a while to get anything. There is often talk of 'wth' training effects and when you have an experience of one of those it makes you realise how effective the training has been and what it has done for you. Same kind of deal with Feldenkrais.

When resting up, look into the work of Feldenkrais. A wonderful soft restorative movement practice. There was talk of it on a recently revived thread:

Stability is Nice

As effective and fascinating as it is, it does take a while to 'get it'. To be fair it takes me a while to get anything. There is often talk of 'wth' training effects and when you have an experience of one of those it makes you realise how effective the training has been and what it has done for you. Same kind of deal with Feldenkrais.

I find Original Strength is like this too. It doesn't seem like you are really doing much, and you don't notice a dramatic immediate effect. But as you accumulate enough reps over time you realize how much better you feel.

I don't know where this distinction lies but there is a progressive scale of regressive movement patterns. Like original strength, fms primitive patterns, get up mobility drills, joint mobility combos, primal move....all of which are great for movement prep drills, warm ups and/or daily oiling prehab. And we all probably have certain moves as a preference. Gray Cook has said too that removing the threat response to movements re-educates the cns and learning can take place, the very same Feldenkrais view. And it is here, somewhere that our individual needs split......general gentle moves are good for everyone but if you need more or a deeper access to your cns then reducing threat levels even more may help to get to where you need to go. I keep my Feldenkrais lessons separate from training days for that reason...I couldn't do heavy or even moderate training afterwards, usually nicely spent. And in so doing, remove threat totally for a deeper dive into my messed up cns! But can do mobility and seemingly very similar moves but not on such a deep level to assess where I am on a day before training or as a stand alone playtime light day or just messing around on the floor.
After a full Feldenkrais lesson I just want to snooze, kettlebells are a distant thought. Contra-lateral patterns can be done at varying intensities, light crawling, fast dynamic parkour crawling to sprinting and a Feldenkrais lesson could feature a cross lateral movement patterning. Dead bugs, great warm up to fire up, done in Feldenkrais lessons will smoke me and I fall asleep for a few minutes. Powerful, powerful stuff. Dead bugs as an exercise, you know as a warm up it is a prep and could do them for sets and reps kind of thing, so somehow there is a distinction between movement as exercise to movement as a movement itself and the level of awareness the mover is able to access OR perhaps more appropriately, needs to access. Fascinating, despite my pathetic explanation and general bewilderment of it all.

I don't know where this distinction lies but there is a progressive scale of regressive movement patterns. Like original strength, fms primitive patterns, get up mobility drills, joint mobility combos, primal move....all of which are great for movement prep drills, warm ups and/or daily oiling prehab. And we all probably have certain moves as a preference. Gray Cook has said too that removing the threat response to movements re-educates the cns and learning can take place, the very same Feldenkrais view. And it is here, somewhere that our individual needs split......general gentle moves are good for everyone but if you need more or a deeper access to your cns then reducing threat levels even more may help to get to where you need to go. I keep my Feldenkrais lessons separate from training days for that reason...I couldn't do heavy or even moderate training afterwards, usually nicely spent. And in so doing, remove threat totally for a deeper dive into my messed up cns! But can do mobility and seemingly very similar moves but not on such a deep level to assess where I am on a day before training or as a stand alone playtime light day or just messing around on the floor.
After a full Feldenkrais lesson I just want to snooze, kettlebells are a distant thought. Contra-lateral patterns can be done at varying intensities, light crawling, fast dynamic parkour crawling to sprinting and a Feldenkrais lesson could feature a cross lateral movement patterning. Dead bugs, great warm up to fire up, done in Feldenkrais lessons will smoke me and I fall asleep for a few minutes. Powerful, powerful stuff. Dead bugs as an exercise, you know as a warm up it is a prep and could do them for sets and reps kind of thing, so somehow there is a distinction between movement as exercise to movement as a movement itself and the level of awareness the mover is able to access OR perhaps more appropriately, needs to access. Fascinating, despite my pathetic explanation and general bewilderment of it all.

Makes sense. I have little experience with Feldenkrais, so I was just drawing a parallel based on your description of needing to experience it for a while in order to "get it."

@Steve W. .. It's very difficult to grasp and impossible to explain!:eek:
I like it for its no fluff notice what you notice idea. How's your shoulder? Maybe a good rehab at the appropriate time for you.

In my own life when I feel a nuisance pain coming on, the initial response is an attempt to isolate the muscle/joint/movement pattern using some casual mobility and stretching. I try to be as specific as possible.

This is a good time to reflect on any new movement patterns or new recurring use in my exercise or daily life.

Increasingly I am mindful of overall movement patterns and how they relate to existing conditions such as arthritis or degenerative disk. A lot of nuisance aches can be eliminated on the fly by identifying poor form or application of form as pertains to exercises where there are several ways to execute correctly.

@Steve W. .. It's very difficult to grasp and impossible to explain!:eek:
I like it for its no fluff notice what you notice idea. How's your shoulder? Maybe a good rehab at the appropriate time for you.

Thanks for asking.

Overall, it seems to be progressing well, but there is still a long way to go in a long process.

The physical therapy is very conventional and a little frustrating. The therapists' reaction to any ideas I run by them is knee-jerk negative. After I explain and/or demonstrate exactly what I want to try and asking them why, exactly, they don't think it is a good idea, they usually admit that it is safe (if they don't, I don't do it). I'm being very patient and careful in terms of avoiding pain and keeping the threat level low. My mantra is "no pain, more gain."

They seem generally surprised and impressed by the progress I'm making, but also seem to think it is in spite of anything I'm adding to the rehab and not because of it.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom