all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB DIY Equipment

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I cannot believe all this cool gear!

Here's my recently manufactured jumprope:
Rope_zpsgfzmjznp.jpg

And here's a unit I made years ago, casually demo'd by a much younger me. My takeoff on a wooden dummy, is called "The Bully" with motto "Tougher Than You!" Solid front leg, the back legs are on lockable casters.

Is still collecting dust in the garage awaiting a redesign of the shoulder joints - the current design is only good for about 40 hours of hard use. Jab, hook, uppercut, backfist/hammerfist. I also gave it gripper hands so it can hold a stick, wooden knife etc. As seen in the video, can be used solo or with a partner.

Used with a buddy, this thing will accelerate your HR through the ceiling, and lets one use technique on the arms and such with a level of power you'd never be able to safely apply otherwise. About half as fast as a real opponent, makes up for in toughness what it lacks in speed. It'll back you into a corner every time. I made it so I could have my own sparring partner while doing OT and swing shift.

@Steve Freides I have the parts to make a Hand and Thigh rig, but I haven't tried it yet, and a saddler is making me a leather hip harness for the Hip Lift.

I have a great collection from a $1500 Eleiko Olympic Bar(I have had for over 15 years, and is as good as new) to my DIY implements. My wife is very supportive and understanding of my hobby.

My "shiny toy" is my Apollon's Axle from IronMind, and I have a well-used Okie DL bar from Rickey Dale Crain which I am going to replace soon. (If anyone metro NYC is interested in buying my current Okie DL bar, PM me and I'll explain why I want a new one, but it's a great bar, the choice of multiple lifting federations for the competition DL's, and it's great to train on.)

-S-

I don't have much more home made stuff, except for my tire sled. This one is more conventional: just an old tire, a piece of rope and some hardware. The size of the tire is just right so that I can put a big plate in the middle and it stays put without moving. I use a 50 pounds (don't ask, they were cheap). I can go on a multi-use path that passes across the street from my home and am ready to go. It is surprisingly quiet with the plate on. In fact, it makes less noise when the plate is on that off. So far, only two people were brave enough to stop and ask me what I was doing... If I leave and nobody is home, I put my keys inside the tire while I pull. They never fell off. Here are a few pictures.

20161202_143519_1.jpg

20161202_143528_1.jpg

20161202_143546_1.jpg

In light of just how popular the original post was, here's the latest evolution of the mookshelf for the folks who might be interested.

As a holiday/New Year's/retirement gift to myself, the proprietor of a local woodworking shop convinced me to finally get around to prettying up my favorite hunk of furniture. After all these years, not a splintery bit left, a nice uniform color, and even a few silver inlays just for decoration (secure enough with my masculinity to even pay homage to my favorite animated lady while we were at it).

No more or less functional than it was before the makeover, but so much easier on the eyes now.

(Yes, the landlady still thinks I'm a little different.)

Attachments

• mook.jpg
    mook.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 82
  • helpyou?.jpg
    helpyou?.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 80
  • yum1.jpg
    yum1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 77
Awesome stuff here. The closest thing I have to anything 'DIY' is when I loop a resistance band through a gymnastic ring to use it as a handle for bicep curls etc. It gives a bunch of different grip angles and the other end of the band can be looped over my doorway chin-up bar so I can do triceps pushdowns.

The tire idea is really cool, @Manuel Fortin! Just curious, is that just a regular car tire? We have a few around our yard (wife wanted them for a gardening plan that never happened), and that would be the perfect use...what sort of weight do you put inside?

@Questionfear Yes, just a regular tire. I drilled it with a regular drill and inserted the bolts in the holes. It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, drilling slow works best. Don't forget the washers to distribute the pressure.

As to the weight, I am lucky to have a 50 pounds weight plate that fits exactly over the center as it overlaps the tire by about half an inch at its periphery.

Another thing you can try is to lay the tire flat on pavement, get in a crawling position with your hands on the tire and push. This is surprisingly difficult.

Ooh I like these ideas. This weekend is yard cleanup, so I will clean up one of the tires and see what I can do...

Here's the latest addition. I enjoy training with tube sand, but haven't been able to bring them inside when the weather gets cold or wet (I can only train in the family room or outside, no room in the basement and the garage seldom).

So my first real attempt to civilize them somewhat, though they'll still have to live in the garage when not in use.

A $6 dollar grommet kit, some paracord, and a couple of old carpet runners I was supposed to throw away two moves ago but just knew they had more life in em.

Four of these give me 240 lbs of load, and for additional grabbing points, rope grips the carpet a lot better than the poly bags. I might even use some larger grommet holes and thread 1/2 or 3/4" rope for additional hold. And comfy enough to use as an improvised bench for pressing.

101_0404_zpsbioulczo.jpg~original

101_0405_zpsl2upqurm.jpg~original

Last edited:
Anyone ever make a slam ball/soft med ball out of a basketball or kickball?

I've seen some diy instructions, seems really easy. Just wondering how well they hold up.

They're too pretty to be heavy. :)

-S-
Steve,
I dub them "Carpet S& Baggs" (copyright).

I'm sure there's $ to be made here!

On a serious note they're working out really well. All the things I didn't like about tube sand are fixed - no chafing on sweaty poly-canvas, no huffing silica, and they allow a solid grab without straps. I just couldn't bring myself to buy a commercial version.

Anyone ever make a slam ball/soft med ball out of a basketball or kickball?

I've seen some diy instructions, seems really easy. Just wondering how well they hold up.

Holds up well. Used just sand and some pea gravel to make one weigh ~22 lbs (10kg) and steel shot and pea gravel to make another one weigh ~42 lbs (19kg).

I found the 25 lb bag of shot in the basement. Probably could have fit 3 in one ball, one bag barely took up any room.

My new custom farmer walk handles for kettlebells. Loaded them up with 40 kg already (12+28 and 16+24) good way to get heavy walks in with limited weight. Side note trying to hook 2 bells with your hand and go on a walk is Not the best idea.:D
This is great! I was thinking about something similar for deadlifting multiple bells at home. Thanks!

My new custom farmer walk handles for kettlebells. Loaded them up with 40 kg already (12+28 and 16+24) good way to get heavy walks in with limited weight. Side note trying to hook 2 bells with your hand and go on a walk is Not the best idea.:D

Great idea!
What is the handle part made of?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom