all posts post new thread

Nutrition Coconut oil here we go

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Nothing particularly new here: Coconut oil is a saturated fat and, as such, should be consumed in moderation.

I dislike the term 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' when applied to foods in an absolute sense: It's the quantities consumed that determine whether or not their effects are beneficial or detrimental.

It's probably the branding of coconut oil as a 'healthy' fat that causes people to over-consume, leading to inevitable harmful effects.

News articles have a tendency both to grossly oversimplify and to cherry pick when it comes to scientific studies and I would take such articles with a proverbial pinch of salt.

@HUNTER1313, I think that article is wrong. That good saturated fats raise bad cholesterol is what the nutritionists learned a few decades ago in college, and maybe they're still being taught that way, but I don't believe the research supports that any longer.

-S-

Follow-up question.
What king of saturated fat is in Coconut oil? Palmitate or Laurate?
What kind of saturated fat is used in the studies that concluded that saturated fat is bad?

Additional remark. Coconut oil is like olive oil: it has become mainstream. Extra attention must be paid to buy it right. There is now a lot of bad quality oil out there.

I'd like to chime in to say that coconut oil is king in my opinion.

I've been cooking my meats with it (beef and chicken), as well as my leafy greens the last few days and with a touch of salt and pepper it tastes amazing. I also feel great, so I'm not too concerned about an article questioning how healthy it is. You've got to bear in mind that so many foods have people in the for and against camps regarding eating/abstaining and in what amounts...

-carbs make you fat, yet many do very well on high carb diets
-nuts are healthy, but are very high in calories
-meat causes cancer, yet many consider it a must for building muscle

It really is a minefield... :(

It really is a minefield... :(
I agree with that.
My parents were pre-WWII folks, a different race of people if you ask me. Sturdy, hard working folk. We used to eat bread as breakfast, with the occasional eggs and bacon, bread for lunch, and soup, meat, potatoes and fresh veggies for dinner. Pastries was for Sundays or when we had visitors (my parents, especially my mother, had a kind of open door policy at home, so everybody was welcome for a piece of pie and a coffee). My father lived to be 82, of which the last 25 years with a double coronal bypass (open heart surgery at that time). My mother still planted 500 potatoes when she was 82 (she felt a bit tired at the end of the day she said :) ) and past away after a bad fall at the age of 90.
So eat a good variety of foods, go easy on the sugary things, and drink a good ale once in a while.

Why you should replace coconut oil with healthier fats
Why you should replace coconut oil with healthier fats

Misinformation

The article above is flawed with incomplete and misinformation.

With that in mind, let break it down.

Vegetable Oils

Vegetables oils like corn oil, recommended in the article contain Omega 6 Fats. There is an over consumption of Omega 6/Polyunsaturated fats. That because Polyunsaturate Fats are inexpensive and the primary fats used in food products.

Diets high Omega 6/Polyunsaturated fats promote Inflammation. Inflammation is one of the underlying issues that triggers a plethora of health issues and diseases.

Thus, recommending a greater consumption of Omega 6/Polyunsaturated Fats in a Western Diet plagued with an over consumption of Omega 6/Polyunsaturated Fats is incredibly poor advice.

Omega 6:3 Ratio

1) For most people, an omega 6 to omega 3 ratio of 4:1 is ideal– that’s 4 omega 6s for every 1 omega 3 [17].

1) Anti-aging experts suggest going even further, maintaining a 1:1 ratio or higher in favor of omega 3s.

3) The average American eats a ratio of anywhere from 12:1 to 25:1 omega 6 to omega 3 [15, 16]. Not good.
Source: How too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 is making us sick

Point 3 illustrate incorrect recommendation in the article recommendation of "Consume more Vegetable Oils"

"Saturated fat raises the LDL or the 'bad' cholesterol so coconut oil is going to have that same effect as butter and beef fat."

The article is correct but does NOT cherry picks that facts.

1) LDL NOT Necessarily Bad: This is tantamount to stating certain ethnic groups are All Bad People. It not that simple.

LDL is composed of two type of LDL.

a) Particle A: This is the Good LDL; light, fluffy.

b) Particle B: This is the bad; BB shaped.

Physicians can test for it but never do, nor do they tell you about it.

However, your Tryglyceride:HDL Ratio will tell you.

Low Tryglycerides:High HDL = Good.

High Tryglycerides:Low HDL = Bad.

2) Increased HDL: Ironcially, Saturated Fat also increase the Good HDL. However, no one every tell you that.

Omega 9/Monounsaturated Fats

As the article correctly states, this fat is one of the, most likely, the best.

Coconut Oil

There is a plethora of health benefits. It easy to find online.

Revising Steve's Comment

"I think that article is wrong" to...

The majority of the article is filled with incomplete and misleading information.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
As an additional point, I've been cooking with coconut oil almost exclusively for a while now. I used to use 1-2 tablespoons of olive/vegetable oil to cook a meal that would feed up to 4 people (although usually provides either 2-3 'decent' portions) whereas I am now using just one teaspoon of coconut oil to cook the same amount of food; a little coconut oil goes a long way.

However you look at it, that's a lot less fat than I used to use. Most people who consume excess saturated fats are probably primarily getting it from processed foods anyway (biscuits/cookies in particular) and most people I know who cook their own food from scratch tend to be healthier even if they cook everything in butter. Go figure.

most people I know who cook their own food from scratch tend to be healthier even if they cook everything in butter.

My mother used to cook everything in butter. And when the pan was empty, they cleaned it by dipping bread in the remainder of the buttersauce. Delicious! My father was always a lean man, broad shoulders and a small waist, my mother weighed 42kg (she was about 1.5m).
My father died at the age of 82, my mother at the age of 90.

My mother used to cook everything in butter. And when the pan was empty, they cleaned it by dipping bread in the remainder of the buttersauce. Delicious! My father was always a lean man, broad shoulders and a small waist, my mother weighed 42kg (she was about 1.5m).
My father died at the age of 82, my mother at the age of 90.

Good Point

Saturated Fat has been wrongfully vilified for decades.

It is based on the pseudo-science of...

The 7 Countries Study

Ancel Keys' quackery research came out in the late 1950s.

Keys' found 7 countries supported his belief that Saturated Fats and Cholesterol cause cardiovascular problems.

The Study's Problem

Keys examined 22 countries. However, 15 of those countries did NOT support his belief.

Keys "Cherry Picked" ONLY the data that supported his belief; leaving out anything that can any information that contradicted his theory.

Keys fraudulent research was accepted and for close to 60 years the foundation of cardiovascular health and the evils of Saturated Fats and Cholesterol has been brainwashed into people's heads.

Newer Research

...has demonstrated that Keys was wrong.

However, the majority of physicians, many nutritionist and the majority of people still believe Saturated Fats and Cholesterol are evil and should be avoided.

As the saying goes, "If you scream something loud enough and long enough, people will eventually believe it."

Kenny Croxdale

Very good. I'm a convert to his spiritual life. The organic guide is a good giggle....

Good Point

Saturated Fat has been wrongfully vilified for decades.

It is based on the pseudo-science of...

The 7 Countries Study

Ancel Keys' quackery research came out in the late 1950s.

Keys' found 7 countries supported his belief that Saturated Fats and Cholesterol cause cardiovascular problems.

The Study's Problem

Keys examined 22 countries. However, 15 of those countries did NOT support his belief.

Keys "Cherry Picked" ONLY the data that supported his belief; leaving out anything that can any information that contradicted his theory.

Keys fraudulent research was accepted and for close to 60 years the foundation of cardiovascular health and the evils of Saturated Fats and Cholesterol has been brainwashed into people's heads.

Newer Research

...has demonstrated that Keys was wrong.

However, the majority of physicians, many nutritionist and the majority of people still believe Saturated Fats and Cholesterol are evil and should be avoided.

As the saying goes, "If you scream something loud enough and long enough, people will eventually believe it."

Kenny Croxdale

There has been quite a bit of science done on saturated fat since Keys' 7 countries study. The real key to understanding the current data is to understand the replacement issue. When you reduce something (like saturated fat), you have to replace it with something (like carbohydrates or polyunsaturated fat). What seems to be the current thinking based on recent evidence is that replacement of saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat is a good move (reduces LDL and increases HDL). However, replacing saturated fat with carbohydrates is a bad deal (increases triglycerides and reduces HDL). So.....is saturated fat good? Well, it is "good" if you are using it to replace sugar and low GI carbohydrates for sure. There is some evidence that it may confer slight benefit over even low GI and high fiber carbs, but that is less clear. There is also additional evidence that not all saturated fat is created equal. Saturated fat from dairy has been shown to have no or beneficial effects of LDL, compared to saturated fat from meat sources, which have been shown to raise LDL. For example, Ron Krause has shown that a high saturated fat diet (from dairy) did not raise LDL, while a high saturated fat diet with a high red meat consumption did. In other words.....it is a bit complex and is not as simple as saturated fat good or bad.

Also, there are markers of cardiovascular disease that are quite well linked with cardiovascular disease. Triglyceride/HDL ratio is very valid and is also a good predictor of insulin resistance and pattern B LDL. LDL particle number is also very good and seems to resolve the discordance problems with LDL and LDL/total ratios. Blood lipids are still an important marker and should not be ignored, but you have to know what you are looking at. Most clinicians are still looking at LDL-C only or LDL-C/total ratio, but these are not very good predictors.

There has been quite a bit of science done on saturated fat since Keys' 7 countries study.

Keys Seven Countries Study

Yes, I'm familiar with the latest research; which has overturned Keys quazi-research.

The real key to understanding the current data is to understand the replacement issue. When you reduce something (like saturated fat), you have to replace it with something (like carbohydrates or polyunsaturated fat). What seems to be the current thinking based on recent evidence is that replacement of saturated fat with polyunsaturated fat is a good move (reduces LDL and increases HDL).

Polyunsaturated Fats, Omega 6

Increasing Ployunsaturated Fats isn't a good idea.

1) The majority of American over consume Polyunsaturated Fats. Polysaturated Fats are in just about every packaged product consumed.

2) High Polyunsaturated Fats cause inflammation. Inflammation is one of the underlying cause of many health issues.

How too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 is making us sick

"The short answer is that elevated n-6 intakes are associated with an
increase in all inflammatory diseases – which is to say virtually all diseases. The list includes (but isn’t limited to):

• cardiovascular disease
    • type 2 diabetes
    • obesity
    • metabolic syndrome
    • irritable bowel syndrome & inflammatory bowel disease
    • macular degeneration
    • rheumatoid arthritis
    • asthma
    • cancer
    • psychiatric disorders
    • autoimmune diseases"
Monounsaturated Fats, Omega 9

Increasing Monounsaturates Fats are a much better choice rather than Ployunsaturated Fats.

However, replacing saturated fat with carbohydrates is a bad deal (increases triglycerides and reduces HDL).

Good Carbohydrates

Replacing Saturated Fats with Good Carbohydrates works.

Dr Jonny Bowden (PhD Nutrition) defines Good Carbohydrates as "Foods of Color"; such as Green Beans, Broccoli, Tomatoes (Fruit-Vegetable), Greens, Lettuce, Spinach, etc.

These carbohydrates are high in fiber, low in calories and low on the Glycemic and Insulin Index.

So.....is saturated fat good? Well, it is "good" if you are using it to replace sugar and low GI carbohydrates for sure. There is some evidence that it may confer slight benefit over even low GI and high fiber carbs, but that is less clear. There is also additional evidence that not all saturated fat is created equal. Saturated fat from dairy has been shown to have no or beneficial effects of LDL, compared to saturated fat from meat sources, which have been shown to raise LDL. For example, Ron Krause has shown that a high saturated fat diet (from dairy) did not raise LDL, while a high saturated fat diet with a high red meat consumption did. In other words.....it is a bit complex and is not as simple as saturated fat good or bad.

Saturated Fats

As you know, Saturated Fats are necessary for hormonal production. They should be part of everyone's diet; with Monounsaturated composing the greater percentage of Fats in your diet along with some Polyunsaturated Fats.

Triglyceride/HDL ratio is very valid and is also a good predictor of insulin resistance and pattern B LDL. LDL particle number is also very good and seems to resolve the discordance problems with LDL and LDL/total ratios. Blood lipids are still an important marker and should not be ignored, but you have to know what you are looking at. Most clinicians are still looking at LDL-C only or LDL-C/total ratio, but these are not very good predictors.

Excellent Points

1) Triglyceride:HDL Ratio is one of the definitive measure in determining cardiovascular health.

Low Triglycerides and High HDL = Good

High Triglycerides and Low HDL = Real health problems.

2) LDL Particle Size is another key factor.

High Particle A = Good

High Particle B = Real heath issue

Which LDL Particle Size Do I Have?

1) Specific Test: Physicians can request a Specific LDL Particle Test to determine if you have higher levels of Particle Size A or B.

However, Physicians NEVER do that.

A more practical method of obtaining which LDL Particle Size you have is...

2) Triglyceride:HDL Ratio

Low Triglycerides:High HDL = Greater Particle A. :)

High Triglycerides:Low HDL = Greater Particle B. :(

Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

If you have your numbers, this calculator will provide your ratio.

"Most Clinicians"

...look at ONLY one number, your LDL.

The majority of Physicians "Are NOT very good" is an understatement!

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited:
Chris Masterjohn has an excellent analysis of the article and the reporting of its findings , here:

Is Coconut Oil Killing Us?

It's not a quick summary. I had a long dog walk to enable me to listen to the podcast but he does produce a transcript if reading is a better option.

My take after reading lots of research on saturated fat in July. Read through to the last bullet point before reacting. It puts this in the proper perspective.

Saturated Fat:
•Inhibits LDL Receptor (reduces liver recycling of LDL) and enhances Cholesterol production
•Inhibits HDL ability to inhibit CAM production (results in recruiting more macrophages into atherosclerotic plaques)
•10% replacement of CHO with SAT Fat = approx. 13 mg/dL increase in LDL-C (but this is pattern A, good)
•Ability to raise LDL-C: Lauric(C-12:0) >Myristic(C-14:0)>Palmitic(C-16:0)
•Lauric acid increases HDL, Stearic acid (C-18:0) has neutral impact on blood lipids
•Laurate and sterate reduce cholesterol/HDL ratio, myristic acid has no impact (coconut oil is primarily laurate and myristic acid).
•Increase in LDL-C seems to be primarily Pattern A (non-atherogenic), not Pattern B (as with carbs)
•Blood (saturated Fatty Acids) SAT FA (especially Palmitate, the primary driver of the issues above) increase in response to Carb intake, not SAT fat intake.

Blood SAT FA are responsive to carbohydrate intake and are elevated in insulin resistance and type II diabetes. Increased upper body adiposity also increases blood SAT FA, probably contributing (causing?) insulin resistance and type II diabetes (causes pancreatic beta cell apoptosis, and reduces muscle and liver insulin signaling.

English translation...?

Let's see if I can make it simpler. It turns out that saturated fatty acids in the bloodstream can do some nasty things that are not good for you. However, saturated fats in the diet are not the primary cause of saturated fatty acids in the bloodstream. You can raise the dangerous type of fatty acids in the bloodstream more with a very high carbohydrate diet, at least in sedentary adults.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom