all posts post new thread

S&S+, Judo, Kendo, Historical & Modern Fencing, Walking.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
The whole thing took 45 minutes, which is 15 minutes longer than with the 32kg bell. none of it was any problem though, but the 15 minutes longer makes me not want to do it every day - I'm a busy guy! I'd really like to have a 36kg bell as a stepping stone, but I don't want to spend another 120-150$. No problem, I'll just alternate between the two bells for a while until I do everything at 40, and then it's time to own the weight and go for Sinister.

I know I don't do the TGUs perfectly because I like to adjust my feet a bit while stepping up - not a big deal to change for "proper form" for the Sinister challenge.

In any case it's judo tonight so I'll likely do my own kind of programme minimum with the kettlebells and weights which for me involve things like presses, carries and deadlifts.

I also do get ups little different style. I kinda adjust my straight leg on the ground and then go windmill/lunge. More stable for me. So it’s also safer. Only thing that really matters. There are many ways to do get up and all are fine If they are safe. Imo.

Good job!

Hello,

@Kozushi
Good to see you're back to business !

Did you try TGU and Bent Press on alternate days ? Maybe you could save time like this. Plus, once you get the top position of the BnP (with bell overhead then), you can do a lunge. Moreover, it would give you some pressing practice while working on torso strength and flexibility, useful for judo ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Kozushi
Good to see you're back to business !

Did you try TGU and Bent Press on alternate days ? Maybe you could save time like this. Plus, once you get the top position of the BnP (with bell overhead then), you can do a lunge. Moreover, it would give you some pressing practice while working on torso strength and flexibility, useful for judo ;)

Kind regards,

Pet'
That sounds like a good idea!

When I've gotten the strength I need, I'll show loyalty to Strong First by trying to test for some certifications. But, like my judo black belt, there is a time for that, when I feel I have truly mastered the skills.
This. Showing loyalty by earning a certification (or perhaps trying to) is what I am thinking. I think the SFG will be out of reach for myself for many years to come. Hence why I am starting to think about the SFB. Thanks for the thought, expressed what I had in the back of my mind.

@Kozushi I miss your training log, it was one of my favorites (seems like fewer updates the last half of the year).

I've learned a lot by reading your log.

@Kozushi I miss your training log, it was one of my favorites (seems like fewer updates the last half of the year).

I've learned a lot by reading your log.
Oh wow, thank you! I've been posting a lot in the forums, but I think I should start to consolidate things I've learned on my little blog here. I'm learning new things all the time. Lifting weights is a fine art/science!

Judo is a hugely demanding exercise and sport. I'm very happy I took time away from it for 18 months and focussed on kettlebells, because now, not only do I have more strength and strength-mobility from kettlebell training, but I understand the strength systems happening in judo much better than before. Not only that, but I use movements from kettlebell training in judo, like parts of the Turkish Getup to get up from the floor every time being thrown down, the 1 handed swing to pull people down to the ground onto their backs. I don't mind doing repetitive drills in judo because I can appreciate their similarity to beneficial moves I do with the kettlebells.

Because of my intense judo schedule for an amateur (4 nights a week), I'm continuing to redesign my kettlebell training to make it fit. I'm certainly finding that using moderate weight is a good idea, since I don't want to overuse my shoulders which are always sore from judo.

Due to some soreness from judo, particularly in my left knee, I've been doing presses instead of the TGU part of S&S, and it's working out alright. I believe I miss important things the TGU does for me by doing so, but at the same time, it's kind of similar as a "big push" move (which I think is necessary to balance the "big pull" nature of the swings) and it takes far less time, which isn't too bad for me either.

So, it's been:

15 goblet squats in sets of 5 with the 32kg kettlebell.
100 L/R swings in sets of 10 with the 32kg kettlebell.
40 L/R military presses in sets of 4 with the 24kg kettlebell.

I'm certainly missing out on some of the all directional strength the TGUs create, like pushing straight out to the side, pushing with lower limbs folded over, the windmill motion etc, but overall, given that I can't do TGUs right now, the presses are a fair, simple and less time-consuming substitute.

A bit sore still in the left knee, and slightly wobbly at times, but I at last did S&S today again with the 32kg bell! Gosh, 32 probably really is enough for me! I'll keep hoping to move up to 40 solidly, but I'm more than content with the full body and mind workout I get with the 32!

3X5 goblet squats
10X10 1h swings
5X2 getups

I still have no idea how to balance judo and S&S. Judo makes me sore for S&S, although judo is great cardio exercise and for certain kinds of mobility and balance, but I do not see it truly increasing strength. Judo functions as decent exercise, primarily for the cardio-vascular system, although strength-wise it's more moderate as judo is about balance and movement over strength. I can't rely on judo for keeping my body strong - for keeping it limber, balanced and mobile (and sore) yes, but for strength, NO.

I would do deadlifts and presses or snatch/swings and presses all in low volume. If you are getting the volume work from judo, I think heavy weights for low reps would complement it well.

I think heavy weights for low reps would complement it well.

This sounds right to me. Judo is obviously covering all the volume you need. Keep developing tension under heavy weight somehow (I vote for TGU because it's awesome), but but not to fatigue. You have plenty of other opportunity for fatigue.

Thank you, guys! Oh, so what you are both recommending is higher weight but less reps, not to faitigue - I could certainly do that. I can do the work with a 40kg bell for less reps. Hmmm... maybe 60% of S&S, I wonder...

Yeah something like that would be good. Focus on treating it like strength work rather than conditioning. Whenever I have to do manual labor for work, lifting fairly heavy but in low volume works really well to improve strength without increasing fatigue much.

Tonight to play it safe due to my knee I did 10X10 2h swings with the 40 followed by 10 sets of 5 (R/L) military presses with the 24. I only felt some very minor discomfort during the presses and none at all during the swings - that's a good thing! This routine does not at all match S&S, but as a lighter workout with still decent cardio, I think it does the trick as a stop-gap for when I'm sore.

I think the military presses are important for shoulder health. With strong shoulders it's less likely to tear them in sport.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom