all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Fun calisthenics challenges

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

305pelusa

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello,
I decided to dedicate Saturdays to more freestyle/fun BW challenge workouts. Break the monotony of the weekly strength sessions and play around with some basic and fun exercises. @pet' has joined me in this endeavor every weekend so far as well.

I meant to open this thread some time ago as both @pet' and I are interested in getting feedback for fun and difficult BW challenges. It can be easier exercises done for higher reps, or done with a cardio component. Or a funky rep/set scheme, drop sets, plyometrics, and so on. There could be a theme (only isometrics or 2018 reps total). Let your imagination fly!

I'm open to all sorts of fun, exciting and challenging suggestions to possibly incorporate into future workouts.

As reference/example, here's one pet made that we tried out last weekend:

As many rounds as possible (in 20 min) of:
2 OAOLPU (Each Side)
3 Typewriter Pullups (ES)
5 Pistols (ES)
3 Lalanne Crawls (back and forth)

Will you be outside?

Some things I've enjoyed in previous years: See who can jump over a fence the most times in a minute. Find something challenging to try to climb. What's the tallest thing you can dive over and shoulder roll out of. Play follow the leader over difficult obstacles.

Go to a playground with monkey bars,etc.
If they have apole--climb it up and down or shimmy up the pole where the swings are at and hand walk across the long bar that the swings attach to; then do hand stands(feet against a wall or a tree for balance) then a short sprint.Repeat as tolerated.

Hello,
I decided to dedicate Saturdays to more freestyle/fun BW challenge workouts. Break the monotony of the weekly strength sessions and play around with some basic and fun exercises. @pet' has joined me in this endeavor every weekend so far as well.

I meant to open this thread some time ago as both @pet' and I are interested in getting feedback for fun and difficult BW challenges. It can be easier exercises done for higher reps, or done with a cardio component. Or a funky rep/set scheme, drop sets, plyometrics, and so on. There could be a theme (only isometrics or 2018 reps total). Let your imagination fly!

I'm open to all sorts of fun, exciting and challenging suggestions to possibly incorporate into future workouts.

As reference/example, here's one pet made that we tried out last weekend:

As many rounds as possible (in 20 min) of:
2 OAOLPU (Each Side)
3 Typewriter Pullups (ES)
5 Pistols (ES)
3 Lalanne Crawls (back and forth)
I like the idea, but still need some time to build some basics in TPU, PS and OAOLPU. Will keep an eye for development in this tread. Good initiative!

ok, here we go:

workout nr.1:
Ladders of:

One arm push up
pistols
rope climb

after every third round do one set of:
(reverse) hyperextensions
superman push ups

time: 20-30 min.

Workout nr.2:
50 pistols (25 each leg)
30 one arm push ups (15 each arm)
10 rope climbs (3 meter rope)
1 min. superman push up plank
1 min. hyperextension hold

complete in 10-15 min. in the order given.
pistols and one arm push ups should be done in one repetition per side in continuos motion (one left, one right, till you reach the desired number).

workout nr. 3:
for outside:

sprint uphill
5-10 plyometric push ups
10 jumping squats
5 plyometric pull ups

repeat 5 times.

if you have no pull up bar nearby, finish the pull up part later.

A while ago, my and my brother had a competition to see who could make it to the top of a climbing frame in our local part the fastest. We would take turns timing each other and figuring out faster routes and methods to the top. It was fairly intense.

There are loads of challenges you can do with a training partner. Competitive ladders can be fun. Also, you can try to match each other in increasingly difficult variations/combinations of moves (think of the game 'Horse' in basketball).

I remember trying the 'Bring Sally Up' push-up challenge a while back. That was an interesting one:

You could use other moves for that one as well; pull-ups would be a good one.

Last edited:
Two things I probably should've clarified.

1) @pet' lives in France and I live in Massachusetts. We can compare reps/times for some friendly competition but we won't train in person together so real-time workouts (horse games and competitive ladders) are basically out of the question.

2) Its freaking freeeeeezing here in the Northeast (and looks like France, and Europe for that matter) ain't sunshine either. So the workouts have to be inside. So no rope climbing, pole climbing, jumping fences, and so on.

I don't have a Muscle up place indoors but aside from that, anything else is fair game :)

@305pelusa
ok, you can switch rope climbing with franchies (i think you know what i mean?). Lucky me, i have a rope inside:)
didn´t meant the Ladders to be competitive, just do whatever you feel like. yesterday i stayed with 1,2,3. sometimes it goes up to 5.

i remember LittlebeastM did Bar-barians requirments as many time as possible.

Hello,

Plenty of very diversified ideas ! :) Climbing rope (done LSit position in the inside), breakdance moves, superman plank and so on :) The more the better !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Cool suggestions for sure. Definitely keep them coming, hopefully it can turn into a fun, creative thread. We'll need ideas for the weekend after this.

Anywho, for this weekend, here's what pet and I will be trying out. Title to make it a bit more hardcore and enticing!

The Bodyweight Cyborg Workout

Part 1
3 rounds of:
1 One arm Chin-up (ES)
10 sec Wall One arm HS hold (ES)
5 Jumping Pistols with 5 sec hold at parallel (ES)

Part 2
Followed by a pyramid of:
Sternum Pull-ups (bar must contact lower chest/upper abs every rep)
Wall HSPUs (hands raised for full ROM)
Windshield Wipers (ES)

After every pyramid step, perform a 30 sec Horse Stance hold with feet wider than 3x shoulder width.

Part 3
Finishing with 2 rounds of:
10 Pull-ups
20 Rows
15 Wide, decline, Push-ups (hands elevated for full ROM)
30 Push-ups
10 Deck Squats

So far pet has obliterated me in the two challenges we've done, so definitely hoping for a strong showing this weekend to turn the tables :D

Hello,

@305pelusa
This one is far more "pure strength" oriented. I think it will be way more challenging for me than for you ! Anyway I expect lots of fun :) I printed it and read it every morning before my routine. That way I prepare my mind to an intense pain hehe

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last Saturday, we performed @pet' s Upside-down Blend. As many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:

10 Pullups
5 Wall HSPUs
15 sec L-sit
5 Lizard walk steps (front and back)
10 Burpees

I got 4 gruesome rounds while pet' cruised through 7. So that's pretty encouraging.

Anywho, for this Saturday, we're gonna do a Floreio locomotion workout I've decided to call Animal Kingdom

Perform 5 rounds for time of:
HS walk swings 12 meters
Duck walk 24 meters
Bridge hold 30 seconds
Horse walk 24 meters
Lizard walk 12 meters
Ostrich walk 24 meters

In case the HS swings just aren't feeling good at all, you can sub those in for pike walks. Basically walking around while at the top of a pike pushup.

They're detailed in this Ido Portal blow post (and accompanying video)
Ido's Blog: Locomotion Conditioning

We'll be doing the beginner versions:

Pretty excited about it. It looks like an absolute blast!

Some good ideas thus far in this thread but now we're also looking for some favorite exercises in the locomotion and crawling department. So any fun ones, be sure to let me know!

Love all the animal stuff, not seen the ostrich before.!
I have unwittingly practiced that many times however on the way home on a friday night.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom