all posts post new thread

Recommendations/Reviews/FS/WTB Beginner Oly Barbell set

Products recommendations and reviews, items For Sale or Wanted To Buy
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Ryan T

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Any thoughts about this set? Don't know much about free weights, but it seems like a good price and the amount of weight would last me for quite some time. I'd start out with deadlifts. For now kettlebells will continue to be my primary training tool, but I'm guessing I might add a rack/bench at some point next year.

https://www.amazon.com/USA-Sports-O..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=NHWRT8G4QE0FCBM33CTC

I've looked around at some used sets in my area and the prices seem pretty good too, however a lot of them want to sell them with a bench and or rack as a set, and I don't want all that in my basement just yet.

Similar to the set I have. It's fine for me for now. I believe it's rated up to 500lb but someone in the Q&A mentioned they took it over 500 and it just had a bit of bend. I'm nowhere near that so it'll last me a while, as this one probably would for you.

My price point was lower (my set was <$200 on sale); if my budget were $400 I might splurge for a better bar and then find cheap plates second-hand.

Similar to the set I have. It's fine for me for now. I believe it's rated up to 500lb but someone in the Q&A mentioned they took it over 500 and it just had a bit of bend. I'm nowhere near that so it'll last me a while, as this one probably would for you.

My price point was lower (my set was <$200 on sale); if my budget were $400 I might splurge for a better bar and then find cheap plates second-hand.
Thanks Sean. I'm a lot further off than as well, so I'd say they'll last me even longer. The review rated the bar at 600 lbs, but still this will last me a long time.

So the bar included in this set isn't quality?

I was told that if there's a hex bolt at the end of the sleeve, it's probably not a great bar. However, does it really matter? For deadlifts up to about 300lbs, a cheaper bar will still do the trick. It might bend a little with prolonged use, the sleeves might not spin so freely, the knurling might be a little rough and it might not be exactly 45lbs but if it's heavy and you can lift it, then it'll work.

That being said, I would take @Steve Friedes' advice and check out the used market to see if you can get something that might offer you a bit more mileage, especially if you're looking to expand your home gym with a bench, racks etc. A brand new cheap bar will have lousy resale value compared to a decent used bar.

Do bear in mind that I'm a total cheapskate though and am currently in the process of trying to scrounge a free barbell from a local gym that's about to have a full refurb. I really should just buy one.

hard to be certain from pics, but that set on Amazon looks like it's about the same quality that you get in the $179 set from Dick's, or the $199 set from York. Perfectly fine for home use at those weight levels- just some awful expensive free shipping!

If you're getting weights, I'd shop carefully, cause the damn things just don't wear out, and they're sometimes a pain to sell if you decide later you want something different. If you get a new Texas power bar, say, at a good price, and some used plates, it's not that much more expensive than the set on Amazon and a really nice piece of equipment.

Here are some of the ones I found:

Rogue Echo 2.0-On clearance for $165 (down from $205 so that's very appealing) but only has one knurl mark: Rogue Echo Bar 2.0
Rogue Bar 2.0-Has dual knurl marks but on the high-side $265: The Rogue Bar 2.0
Texas Power Bar-Has dual knurl marks but on the high-side $250: Texas Power Bar

Thoughts? Any others outside of these?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom