all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Superhero / supervillain

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Waryrenn

Level 5 Valued Member
There's a proliferation of superhero avatars on this forum.

So, if your training goal was to be able to save the world, what would your training be like?

And how much different would your training be if you were a super villain who's training goal is to be able to rule/destroy the world?

Superhero: Stay strong, help at least one person, and make at least a little bit difference in the universe, doesn't matter that a tiny one.
Super villain: I don't know... well, "all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing", so...

Super villains have long haired white cats.

Seriously, my image is a James Bond villain, highly refined and intelligent, but completely unhinged. Gets the job done by manipulating everybody else.

I'll start with why my avatar is Superman. He fights for the right reason...love and sacrifice. Batman on the other hand fights out of anger and vengeance.

As a superhero I want to be able to run fast enough long enough to catch anyone. I want to be able to lift heavy things off of people. I want to be able grab someone (good or bad) and never let go. And I want to be able to take a punch, like really well. So...run and double overhand deadlift while being punched.

"all it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
As a villain, I would invent Facebook...

Hmmm, first I need a superpower(s). Training would be to capitalize on that first.

Second is going to be a lot of ab, jaw clenching, and awareness work, as super heroes tend to get hit first or they need to see some innocent bystander in harms way while still time to do something about it.

For supervillain, have to work on charm and explosive power - while the smile disarms my opponent I strike.

But really, without the superpower I'm going to just train for speed and strength and keep up on my health insurance. Maybe get a kevlar T-shirt, some sap gloves and keep a mouthguard on a lanyard under my shirt where I can pop it in quick. A cup probably a good idea too.

hmmm, martial art is first thing on my mind. and one arm swing for the heroes. Quan Yu swings his 40-kilo blade, and Yang Guo swing his badbutt sword with one arm.

This topic reminded me of a page out of a fantasy horror/detective series I had enjoyed many years ago while it was still readable, in which the protagonist (Anita Blake was her name) was involved in a romantic triangle with a vampire (this was in the good old days before they were sparkly) and a werewolf. Her furry boyfriend was an avid weightlifter, and on one memorable occasion she asked if it wasn't redundant for him to dedicate his time to such a pursuit, since he could already bench press a Buick (or words to that effect). He replied that when everyone else in the pack can also perform that feat, it's all the motivation one should need.

As such, if I suddenly found myself endowed with superhuman strength and durability, I would assume that I wasn't, for better or for worse, the only one so blessed. I would probably just maintain my present course, albeit with much more ponderous poundages.

Last edited:
Hello,

There is a Japanese comics called "One punch man", whose training may be interesting.

On a daily basis, it consists on: 10km run, 100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 sit ups.

To a certain extent, this is not that far from what old school boxers did (even if here there is no boxing training per se). By the way, even today, roadwork remains some kind of staple.

If I had to do it, I'd alternate with skipping rope (but not for 1h of course), and also would do some pull ups to get a push / pull pair.

Regarding stamina, I think that it can be pretty good. Steady state cardio is a sure way to get good conditioning wihtout any recovery issue. Then, it is possible to do some day with "regular" variation to build endurance (push ups, …) and some other days with harder variation to work on strength (OA push up, etc...)

What do you think ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom