all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Beast Pistol

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@Anna C - good stuff. Specifically, Tracy was working on active eccentrics and generating power at rock bottom.

One could certainly have a (heavy) KB racked on the free side!

@Oscar, if you haven't tried it already, another simple solution is to hold weight plates or "Barbie" dumbbells in your hands. E.g., try holding a 2.5 or 5 kg plate - you can still extend your arms. You can use one plate in each hand or hold a single plate with two hands.

When I was first learning the pistol, I bought "Barbie" dumbbells, a pair each in 4, 3, 2, and 1 lb. I worked _down_ in weight as my overall approach. A training plan might be: find a starting weight, work up to 5 reps, then add a second set with a lighter weight but just 1 rep, working up to 4 reps - and so on. You will end up doing something like 5 reps with 5 lb. dumbells in each hand, 4 reps w/ 4 lb. dumbbells, 3 reps w/ 3 lb. dumbbells, 2 reps with 2 lb. dumbbells, and a single with a 1 lb. dumbbell. And if you can complete all that, it's likely you'll be able to get at least a single rep, without all the earlier sets, at bodyweight only.

-S-

@Steve Freides I have tried it and can do a couple of reps holding barbie dumbells. I can also do a few good reps elevating the heels as suggested by @Steve W. I have 2 issues with those approaches: first, I have bad patellar tendons, and both elevating the heel and a forward counterweight put more load on the knee and less on the posterior chain. Second, those alternatives are a 2 RM for me, so I would have to do singles and can't do any decent volume.

The cable assisted pistol reduces the load, so it would let me do more reps. It would be an alternative to box pistols I guess.

In my case, due to the bad knees, a good idea would be to develop a very strong single leg deadlift, and only then move on to pistols, like you suggested a while back.

That ladder alternative looks very interesting. I'll give it a try when I'm ready :)

@Oscar
The cable assist the way you have it rigged up looks fine to me. In fact, it's the best way I can think of to use a cable assist. I often do mobility drills using a similar idea with resistance bands for squats, lunges and cossacks.

There are lots of approaches that can and do work. I have my preference, but that doesn't mean it's optimal for everyone. If elevating the heel aggravates your knee, that's certainly a good reason to find another way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom