all posts post new thread

The Simple Road Begins

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@ShawnM, those 5 reps EMOM, is that one hand, with the other at the top of the next minute? Did you start with the 32 kg, or smaller and work up?

With the TGU, like sets of 2/2, 2/2, 2/2, then some real work with the 24 kg?

@Michael Scott- All my swings are 1 hand and alternate each minute. I will usually do a set for each are with the 20 and then 24 or do 2 hand swings with the 32 for a warm up after mobility work and then go into 1 hand swings, all depends how I'm feeling.

With the TGU, just as you described, a couple doubles with the 12, same with the 16, 20 and then start the main 24 training.

February 15

Halo 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Goblet Squats 3 x 5 x 16 kg
Mobility Work

1HS 4 x 5 x 32 kg
1HS 6 x 5 x 28 kg
1HS 10 x 5 x 24 kg

Twenty minutes, 5 EMOM, wow that was awesome. I couldn't believe the 32 kg felt only slightly difficult, especially since I hadn't even done 10 set with the 24 kg. I really think I can do this for a while.....get ups should be interesting tomorrow.

@Phil12 is correct that I log my share of getups....they are my “one move for life.” Super fun.

I’m finding that 6 reps only is working well to maintain the strength, and I’m still able to improve the “endurance” or “conditioning” as seen through reduced rest periods.

Some of my favorite sessions have been Marathons inspired by @Sauli’s crazy long sessions. Most I ever got was 20 getups I think....but definitely a lot of fun!

Keep after it!

Well, I just planned on doing 2 sets with each kettlebell, and I ended up doing 16 get ups.....I am thinking that 10 - 12 should be sufficient moving forward. I will just have to start with the 16 kg instead of the 12 kg, and maybe progress with more sets with the heavier kettlebells as I get stronger.

@Phil12 is correct that I log my share of getups....they are my “one move for life.” Super fun.

I’m finding that 6 reps only is working well to maintain the strength, and I’m still able to improve the “endurance” or “conditioning” as seen through reduced rest periods.

Some of my favorite sessions have been Marathons inspired by @Sauli’s crazy long sessions. Most I ever got was 20 getups I think....but definitely a lot of fun!

Keep after it!

Since lots of folks are cheering for the split, I'll throw out an alternate opinion.

The TGU is an exercise in taking punishment. To me, there is value in learning to maintain that form and tension when you are already fatigued (e.g. after swinging a bell). I think that teaches durability/resilience.

Not saying the split is wrong. Just offering another opinion.

Since lots of folks are cheering for the split, I'll throw out an alternate opinion.

The TGU is an exercise in taking punishment. To me, there is value in learning to maintain that form and tension when you are already fatigued (e.g. after swinging a bell). I think that teaches durability/resilience.

Not saying the split is wrong. Just offering another opinion.
That might be true. But I used HR-monitor fairly long, when I fought my way up to 31 kg bell on S&S and I think alactic training didn't happen, when I did getups after swings. I had fairly high HR-readings during getups, even with higher rest between reps/sets.

My point is that for some of us progress is going to take longer and sessions will last longer (too long for my tastes) and spitting movements might give the wanted boost to hit through plateaus and degrease frustration.

February 17

Halo 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Mobility Work

1HS 6 x 5 x 32 kg
1HS 6 x 5 x 28 kg
1HS 10 x 5 x 24 kg

Felt strong today, so I added two more sets with the 32 kg kettlebell. They were sharp and crisp from start to finish. Tonight consisted of 110 total swings with a kettlebell as heavy or heavier than I was using 5 days ago in S&S. I am liking this splitting swings and get ups so far.

February 18

Halo 3 x 10 x 16 kg

TGU 1/1 x 28 kg
TGU 2/2 x 24 kg
TGU 2/2 x 20 kg

Whew, that was some session. The 28 kg wasn't impossible, but it did take more out of me than I expected it to....so, only 10 get ups tonight, but they were productive.

But I bet 20 kg and 24 kg felt light after 28 kg. That's a good tactic to use heaviest weight first. It gains confidence to carry on and push through session. Like in PTTP one deadlifts 5 X 100 kg first and then 5 X 90 kg for example.

February 19

Halo 3 x 10 x 16 kg
Mobility Work

1HS 8 x 5 x 32 kg
1HS 8 x 5 x 28 kg
1HS 8 x 5 x 24 kg

Great swing session tonight. 24 minutes, 5 EMOM, starting with the 32 kg. Ironically, this session tonight, with the 32 kg, showed me that I wasn't staying taut through my swing progression. I have, apparently, been relaxing when the kettlebell goes through my legs.....well, that wasn't going to happen and me stay upright. So, I tightened up and the 32 kg flew chest high, while the other 2 kettlebells floated. So far, so good.

February 21

Halo 3 x 10 x 16 kg

TGU 2/2 x 28 kg
TGU 2/2 x 24 kg
TGU 2/2 x 20 kg

Whew, that 28 kg kettlebell is still a challenge to get up with, but I got up with it 4 times. With the exception of the get up program I ran, these are the heaviest get ups I have done so far....all around solid work tonight.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom