all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed What SHOULD your goals be

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I'd say the lack of satisfaction comes from assigning some additional side effect that you expected to achieve as part of reaching the goal, which is setting yourself up for disappointment. If you set a goal of "I want to reach Simple", but you're actually thinking "because then I'll be 20# lighter and super buff and everything else will be easy" - you may be disappointed when you hit Simple, because the reality is you picked the wrong goal.

We commonly say to "keep the goal the goal" in the context of maintaining focus. But, it also means picking the real goal - what is it you really want.
Which is where I think a lot of people go wrong. They think they want a goal that they really don't. Once they have it they are bewildered by the lack of satisfaction it brings.

Personally I like to have some goals, but also some wiggle room to experiment.
Some of the exercises and strategies I've tried have paid off in unexpected ways that have actually changed the goal - my ability to sprint has improved considerably over the last 6 months to where I now have included it in the master list. Didn't see that coming.

I get the impression we arbitrarily choose a goal for very light reasons and then pursue it to the death. I'm challenging everyone to review their goals and decide if they are worthy or not.
@Kozushi, this oversimplifies things, IMHO. Not everyone has a clear or specific goal, not everyone with a goal will "pursue it to the death."

An athletic/training goal needs to have its place in the rest of one's life, and that place is going to be different not only for each individual, it will change over the course of weeks, seasons, years, and a lifetime.

We have many folks around here whose training might best be described as "intuitive" - they do what they feel like doing because they're come to understand themselves and that "feel like" in a way that allows them to move forward in life while staying strong and healthy and not being bound to a rigid training schedule.

There are many ways ...

-S-

@Kozushi, this oversimplifies things, IMHO. Not everyone has a clear or specific goal, not everyone with a goal will "pursue it to the death."

An athletic/training goal needs to have its place in the rest of one's life, and that place is going to be different not only for each individual, it will change over the course of weeks, seasons, years, and a lifetime.

We have many folks around here whose training might best be described as "intuitive" - they do what they feel like doing because they're come to understand themselves and that "feel like" in a way that allows them to move forward in life while staying strong and healthy and not being bound to a rigid training schedule.

There are many ways ...

-S-
That describes me perfectly. I think I have grown a lot through my exploration of strength training. I have attained things that were never my goals because I didn't even know they existed to be attained before I attained them.

My strength learning is a journey but also an adventure with many unexpected surprises, which is like every other pursuit in life and like every other non-pursuit.

My goal in learning Korean is "to learn Korean well". What to do with it beyond this will depend on what happens. It is indeed 100% intuitive. It seems like a good thing to do, I enjoy learning it, and we'll see what I can or will or not do with it when the time comes that I have perfected it.

Same with strength. I started S&S on a whim not understanding anything at all about strength. S&S led me to this forum, which led me to more Strong First programs which led me to different takes on judo and life (even non physical aspects) and the learning is ongoing.

I think this intuitive approach is more natural, more playful, and helps us attain new heights that we never thought were there to attain in the first place.

Good point! :) Wisdom at work!

I just learned yet another important thing here without expecting it!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom