all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Why am I making no progress since I started in October?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Stewie,

You've been given a lot of recommendations. All of it is great and could help you. But it could be overwhelming what to choose. I would do what he said, for at least 6 months.

Get Strong! The muscle will come. Kbells work. Body weight excersises work. But it is hard to beat the barbell for absolute strength and muscle gains. Do the 5x5 program or something similar. This includes the Reload book. Or just search the Articles on the main site, there are about 7 years worth of free programs. Iterations of the 5x5 program are in there.

Regards,

Eric
At a gym, yes. At home, which is where he is training, you need spotters for the bench press, don't you? You can drop the barbell on your neck if it's too heavy for you. Floor press is alright though because the floor can stop the weight from choking you.

For squats, they're alright for a bit, but don't you need a special cage to squat heavy?

I agree, if it is done at a gym.

The deadlift can be done at home as well as a military-type press.

I'm just asking because these were my assumptions and a reason I never did barbell squats or bench presses at home.

At a gym, yes. At home, which is where he is training, you need spotters for the bench press, don't you? You can drop the barbell on your neck if it's too heavy for you. Floor press is alright though because the floor can stop the weight from choking you.

For squats, they're alright for a bit, but don't you need a special cage to squat heavy?

I agree, if it is done at a gym.

The deadlift can be done at home as well as a military-type press.

I'm just asking because these were my assumptions and a reason I never did barbell squats or bench presses at home.

Yes you are right Kozushi. Never get under the bar if you dont have a means to either escape or have a mechanical interlock to prevent yourself from being crushed. I personally wouldn't trust most spotters, unless I knew them. I lift alone, in a power rack. I bought mine used very cheap. I would guess that an inexpensive new one is $500, but I'm just guessing. As a cheap alternative, you could use adjustable horses.

If you dont have the space or equipment, and you dont want to join a gym, then my opinion the next best thing is double kbell work (for building muscle I mean). However, double kbell work requires the prerequisite of mastering a single kbell, S&S for example.

Regards

Eric

Yes you are right Kozushi. Never get under the bar if you dont have a means to either escape or have a mechanical interlock to prevent yourself from being crushed. I personally wouldn't trust most spotters, unless I knew them. I lift alone, in a power rack. I bought mine used very cheap. I would guess that an inexpensive new one is $500, but I'm just guessing. As a cheap alternative, you could use adjustable horses.

If you dont have the space or equipment, and you dont want to join a gym, then my opinion the next best thing is double kbell work (for building muscle I mean). However, double kbell work requires the prerequisite of mastering a single kbell, S&S for example.

Regards

Eric
Finished my daily S&S a few hours ago. I did it with the 32kg today instead of the 40kg. Then I did several sets of presses with the 24kg and 32kg kettlebells. Still trying to work out some discomfort in my left shoulder.

I've become quite a convert to the "assymetrical load / anti-twist" principle to develop "real world" strength. In judo a lot of the guys are powerlifters, some are even competitive or were. Some are ridiculously strong and huge, but at the same time I think I have an advantage in terms of the "assymetrical load / anti-twist" kind of strength from S&S and of course the endurance qualities that S&S gives me. I used to feel like I was missing a lot by not doing what they are doing but nowadays while I totally respect their superior strength in general and the effort and art it takes them to achieve it, I feel now that what I am doing is, in the bigger picture, just as good only different. Having said that, if someone were to do the barbell workouts (like "Reload") and also get a few sessions of kettlebell swings and TGUs in a week, I think they'd be far past me in every respect, hahaha!

Many of us bench press in our squat racks and set the safeties so that we don't hit them normally but could still get out if we can't make a lift. There are dedicated BP setups that have similar setups.

-S-

I can make this rather simple.
1. If you can do 3x12 of any exercise no problem, then do one or all of these things. (1) add resistance, (2) forcefully create more tension in your muscles while doing the exercise, or (3) slow down your rep cadence.

If you're looking for more hypertrophy for aesthetics, then you need to add more tension, and remain under tension more more time. Quickly knocking out push-ups or whatever other exercise won't do much. So, slow down, add resistance or tension, sleep, eat and grow.

Check out the Red Delta Project, Mark Shifferle. He bodybuilds with calisthenics.

Lastly, DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR LEGS. Working your legs will help to make your whole body grow.

Let's also note that the OP appeared in April, posted 4 times, and has since disappeared, so we may be just talking to ourselves now.

-S-

Sorry for not answering.
Because... paralysis by analysis
You wrote too much. That was too much for me and I didn't visit this forum again.
You're writing a lot. And I don't know where to start, how to end, how to answer, etc.

I just asked why my progress was so slow.

Neuro-Bob mentioned the c-mass book.
RR subreddit says don't go with another routine.

Stewie at your
Satomo. You didn't answer my question? Why you writing about weightlifting only? Where is my deserved answer after six months of hard training?
And people here think I didn't eat enough protein?....

Where is my deserved answer after six months of hard training?
Sure I can do 3x7 push ups, and in October I could do 2 reps only. But that progress Is still ridiculous.

It took me a few years to figure out how to look athletic. Why should you manage to do so under 6 months ?

Why can't you be pleased with the small progress you made ? Progress in strength is slow. Progress in muscle mass can be fast, but then it also is lost fast. If minor progress doesn't please you, you should find yourself a different hobby, because bodybuilding is slow and boring as it gets.

It is never enough, no matter where you are.

Anyway the answer of your question lies within your question I quoted above. You work too hard and expect too much.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom