“Dry Fighting Weight” Tips

Discussion in 'Kettlebell' started by Sean M, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Sean M

Sean M Strong Member of the Forum

“Dry Fighting Weight”: Fat Loss Through Strength | StrongFirst

I’ve seen a couple mentions of this program recently, and just started it myself as an experiment between cycles of RoP.

Hoping this thread can be a resource for those looking to do it, from those who have done it. Any tips, wisdom, advice from the wise?

Tagging a few people I know of who have done it or recently expressed interest.

Don't want to hijack another thread where it was brought up :)

@Mark Limbaga @MarkSch @Harry Westgate @jake54

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    MarkSch and Oscar like this.
  2. Shahaf Levin

Shahaf Levin Strong Member of the Forum

I have no experience with Dry Fighting Weight.

However, I did some ETK PM over a year ago and doing timed-auto-regulating practice the last 3 weeks (this was actually inspired by DFW), so I'll comment about timed sessions.

I think one of the sometime (too often?) overlooked keys for such training is Do-Not-Count-Reps (or sets or whatever). Pavel clearly state it in ETK PM, Geoff just says he doesn't give set schemes because everybody is different, so he just vary session intensity by rep schemes.

As I see it timed session, like ETK/DFW, are designed to keep you fresh as possible so you can be fully engaged on the lifts thus maximizing your learning opportunities/practice efficiency. Be oblivious to set count and let your recovery abilities control overall volume.

When one start count sets on timed sessions competition mentality is lurking to take over and rush things. Check your progress as dictated by the program (if I remember correctly every 5th week in DFW) by testing RM, and not by your ability to push more volume within sessions. I really like the meditative effect of such lifting mindset.

I personally do bent presses for 15 min so I have some vague idea of volume, but I think that 30 min of bilateral work can make one completely oblivious to volume :)

Sean M likes this.
  3. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Strong Member of the Forum Certified Instructor

Go lighter than the prescribed 5rm, pace yourself

MarkSch and Sean M like this.
  4. EdwinMillersfgII

EdwinMillersfgII Double-Digit Post Count Certified Instructor

I just went through it - Only question was what does "3x3" mean on the last week. 3 sets of 3 of A+B or 9 reps of each?

5. Sean M

Not there yet, but I read it as 3 clean & press, 3 squat, rest, repeat 2 more times. Sort of a deload session before the test day?

Sauli and Ryan Cranfill like this.
  6. Sean M

So with the first week under my belt, a question:

Is the ladder day supposed to be unbroken? I did it unbroken and it was the hardest of the three days (the others being sets of singles and doubles). I'm now thinking it is supposed to be 1 clean & press, 1 squat, rest (~1:1), 2 clean & press, 2 squat, rest, 3 clean & press, 3 squat rest, then right back in to 1 C&P, 1 squat, etc. I did it without rest between rungs and then rested longer between ladders...

7. Shahaf Levin

Shahaf Levin Strong Member of the Forum

From the article:
    I read it as:
    1 C&P
    rest
    1 FSQ
    rest
    2 C&P
    rest
    2 FSQ
    and so on...