all posts post new thread

Bodyweight “L7” push-up

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fractal

Level 7 Valued Member
Has anyone used the “L7” OAPU regression? Seems like a great way to assist while maintaining a narrow base and simultaneously working reciprocal wrist strength in an approachable way. From what I’ve tried so far, it limits the amount of assistance provided and keeps me honest with the ratio of work being done between arms. See link below for details.

http://www.alkavadlo.com/body-weight-exercises/one-arm-push-up-training/

i've never really had much luck with any sort of assisted OAPU . there is just no substitute.

assisting yourself with your "free" hand makes the exercise a much different groove overall.

@fractal Never used the L7. However, the elevated OAPU and the lever/archer version have been helpful.

I achieved my first OAPU in the late 90's using the elevated version after reading a piece by Pavel in Muscle Media. Spent some time lowering the elevation and viola.

A couple years ago, did the lever version with a basketball, and snuck up on a OAOLPU, probably not to SFB standard but the leg went up on it's own.

My experience anyway, YMMV.

That’s actually a pretty complete list of one arm push-up variations. Never heard of most of them.

What personally worked best was starting at one arm wall pushups and working down to the floor over time. Copious amounts of static holding in the bottom position, or taking little pauses at weak points in the way down and up. Or doing a full rep then lowering to a weak point and holding it there as long as possible.

In my mind, all these other variations look very interesting and possibly helpful, but the movement groove itself is very important to develop. As @Jak Nieuwenhuis mentioned, I had little success with assisted versions.

That’s really helpful to read. Thank you all. I’m not in a big rush to achieve the OAPU and basically use it for the general strength carryover and have KB goals as a priority. I think I’ve been avoiding elevated variations as I find them very difficult and blamed the angle. I’ll put some time into elevation regressions and see what happens.

I’m actually training OAPU, I used this progression with a ladder system and it worked really well:

3x2/3/5 Archer Push Ups (hands on ground)
3x2/3/5 Archer Push Ups (one hand elevated)
Now...3x1/2/3 (OAPU negatives)

I’m actually training OAPU, I used this progression with a ladder system and it worked really well:

3x2/3/5 Archer Push Ups (hands on ground)
3x2/3/5 Archer Push Ups (one hand elevated)
Now...3x1/2/3 (OAPU negatives)

from what I experienced, once I could do a semi - competent negative on the OAPU, i very nearly had the whole skill

makes me wonder why i don't still train negatives now that I can do the full

I always found archers to be a completely different groove and difficult on their own right. probably a good strength builder but I never tried them before I could do multiple OAPU so I couldn't speak on them as a progression

@fractal if you're trying to train up to a full OAPU (if that is your goal) then you will get it so long as you keep trying the OAPU and the negative / plank hold every so often (not really often even).

you said that you could do the OAOL with a finger assist, correct?

I don't usually look for much cross over between exercises but backwards crawling is just ridiculous for building up to / maintaining a OAPU. makes the skill much easier for some reason.

anyway, good luck, it's definitely worth it

bud jeffrie's OAPU download video is priceless ( i think its 10 bucks)

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I experienced, once I could do a semi - competent negative on the OAPU, i very nearly had the whole skill

makes me wonder why i don't still train negatives now that I can do the full

I always found archers to be a completely different groove and difficult on their own right. probably a good strength builder but I never tried them before I could do multiple OAPU so I couldn't speak on them as a progression

@fractal if you're trying to train up to a full OAPU (if that is your goal) then you will get it so long as you keep trying the OAPU and the negative / plank hold every so often (not really often even).

you said that you could do the OAOL with a finger assist, correct?

I don't usually look for much cross over between exercises but backwards crawling is just ridiculous for building up to / maintaining a OAPU. makes the skill much easier for some reason.

anyway, good luck, it's definitely worth it

bud jeffrie's OAPU download video is priceless ( i think its 10 bucks)

Thanks for the tips, I’ve noticed my pistol continues to improve despite cutting my weekly volume in half for the past few weeks.

I was using OAOLPU with a few fingertips assisting as my main variation for a while and really enjoyed it. I ended up dropping back to assisted OAPU and reducing my pistol volume as I had an unrelated and minor lower back injury that didn’t appreciate the workload.

Funnily enough, I was doing some forwards/backwards leopard crawling for a few weeks up until last week. I took a look at my supplementary training and realised I had gradually accumulated a bit of this and a bit of that over the weeks and slashed the variety. Crawling didn’t make the cut. Of everything I dropped, I do miss crawling the most.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom