all posts post new thread

Kettlebell “Science-based Plan” review

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
A Science-Based Plan to Prepare You for the SFG Level I and SFG Level II | StrongFirst

I wrapped Week 5 of the Strength portion of this program this week (next week is a deload). My 24kg RM was 6-8, 28kg was 3 (a rough 3 on left), and 0 with 32kg.

I was skeptical of the low volume. Prior to this I had done RoP with 16kg then 20kg and part of the way with 24kg - all high(er) volume but with a single bell. I started A+A snatching (28kg) and this program for strength work.

My 75% bell was 24kg. I started with C&P but soon was doing the sets strict press. By the end it was a “toy weight” with a set of 5 MP only a moderately heavy effort (big improvement especially for my left arm)

My 85% bell was 28kg done with a clean before each press. I was pleasantly surprised to see a tough 3 reps turn into a moderate set of 3 and ended this week with 2 sets of 2 without the clean between reps.

My 95% bell was 32kg, starting with a jerk and slow negative. But this week I finally achieved a full press with 32kg:

So kudos to @CMarker for an excellent program! Color this skeptic convinced that volume can be lowered when intensity can be varied. Plotting the volume and intensity, I see no pattern - either I’m dense or it really is more or less random. So I can’t explain why, but it does work.

32kg press was my goal for 2018, so I’m happy to have achieved it early. Next I want to work on the bent press S&S style (10 sets).

Anyone else run this program? Similar results I hope?

Attachments

• 716B9C87-30DD-4793-B212-9CC87CAC990A.png
    716B9C87-30DD-4793-B212-9CC87CAC990A.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 27
Plotting the volume and intensity, I see no pattern - either I’m dense or it really is more or less random. So I can’t explain why, but it does work.
If you search strongfirst.com for the word "decoupled", Craig's blog is the first thing the appears in the results. They are, indeed, decoupled.

You will enjoy attending PlanStrong.

-S-

Dude nice results. I've had amazing success on these types of plans (ive been a test vict...subject, before)

Anyone else run this program? Similar results I hope?

@Sean M ....nice going!
Did it last year after etk ladders with a 20. I used a 20, 24 and a 24 plus a 1.5 plate for plan strong and got 28 (24 plus a plate) as a 1RM on the test day. My plan was then and still is now to give it a run again to get a 32 1RM when I'm up for it.
The only downside is messing around with taping the plates for those inbetween sizes. I may just do rop with a 24 with the same aim, especially as I've not pressed much since, we'll see.
But, yes, agree with you, a great programme.
So many things to do isn't there?

Excellent work. I might have to look into that as a 32kg press still eludes me and it could only help to make my 40kg get-ups easier.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom