all posts post new thread

Kettlebell “The Powertrain” - Goblet Squat/Swing program from Pavel’s newsletter

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Sean M

Level 7 Valued Member
Not sure if I can post it here, but recently a program from Pavel came though the newsletter featuring goblet squat/two-arm swing supersets with variable duration and intensity (sets per session), and progression through gradual increased reps per set. Takes only up to 30 minutes a week (6, 8, or 10 minutes per session x 3 sessions per week).

Anyone else see it? Anyone try it?

I’m starting a new work-from-home job Monday, so this (with some GTG pushup, hanging, and carries) may be a perfect “low-RAM” program for my first few weeks.

I like the look of it. I am not sure how to transition from GSq to swings. Start swinging from the top down? Or set the bell down first?

I like the look of it. I am not sure how to transition from GSq to swings. Start swinging from the top down? Or set the bell down first?
I take it as the former - kind of swing the bell out from the top of the goblet squat into the first swing.

This program is exactly what I didn't know I was looking for. Between BJJ & 3x/week barbell training, I just haven't been fitting swings in. But this is something I can squeeze into my mornings.

Did my first session today. Interesting doing swings for sets of 5.

Looks like the article has been removed, does anybody have any idea why? The link in my email doesn't work any more either

Hmm, was working earlier when i posted it. I should know by now to screenshot the main idea. @Steve Freides ?

There are times when StrongFirst offers training materials exclusively to our newsletter subscribers. We provide a link to a web page in the newsletter and several days later remove the page.

To subscribe to the newsletter, CLICK HERE

-S-

I take it as the former - kind of swing the bell out from the top of the goblet squat into the first swing.
That’s how I took it too. So far I’m finding it tricky to hinge back far enough going from the rack to the swing.

For me, the swings feel like the second half of a set of 10.

There are times when StrongFirst offers training materials exclusively to our newsletter subscribers. We provide a link to a web page in the newsletter and several days later remove the page.

To subscribe to the newsletter, CLICK HERE

-S-
wish I'd known that, or I would have saved it. Would it be possible for this article to make a re-run on the newsletter? I didn't make note of all the details.

Would it be a good goal to strive to achieve do to the program with 32 kilo ? That would be "the simple" of Powertrain and then to do the same with 48 would be "the sinister" of powertrain ?

Would it be a good goal to strive to achieve do to the program with 32 kilo ? That would be "the simple" of Powertrain and then to do the same with 48 would be "the sinister" of powertrain ?
Pavel wrote: "Select a kettlebell that you can swing very powerfully—like a punch."

Anyone that has finished Timeless Simple should be able to swing the Simple weight that way with two hands, I think. So it should more or less correlate with the bell you "own" from S&S (if following it). So yes, that could be a good goal to strive for.

Pavel wrote: "Select a kettlebell that you can swing very powerfully—like a punch."

Anyone that has finished Timeless Simple should be able to swing the Simple weight that way with two hands, I think. So it should more or less correlate with the bell you "own" from S&S (if following it). So yes, that could be a good goal to strive for.
What exactly is the relationship between S&S and powertrain ? Pavel seem to suggest that we should start with 24 if we have some experience. Do you think he meant we should start with 32 if we have achieved simple ?

I did a try with 20 kilo. I have achieved timeless simple. I think that 20 was relatively easy, but I do believe that 32 would have been quite hard.

What exactly is the relationship between S&S and powertrain ? Pavel seem to suggest that we should start with 24 if we have some experience. Do you think he meant we should start with 32 if we have achieved simple ?

I did a try with 20 kilo. I have achieved timeless simple. I think that 20 was relatively easy, but I do believe that 32 would have been quite hard.
I just assumed that you would be able to meet the "like a punch" requirement two-handed with your owned S&S weight. But I might be mistaken :)

Last edited:
I just assumed that you would be able to do fullfill the "like a punch" requirement two-handed with your owned S&S weight. But I might be mistaken :)
Well. I like to start quite light to get a flying start, a feeling of mastery.

I think powertrain has more in common with q&d.

This program is exactly what I didn't know I was looking for. Between BJJ & 3x/week barbell training, I just haven't been fitting swings in. But this is something I can squeeze into my mornings.

Did my first session today. Interesting doing swings for sets of 5.
How do the dice rolls correlate to the time you are supposed to train?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom