all posts post new thread

Kettlebell New to forum introduction

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Zach

Level 3 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hey everyone! I've been reading posts for a little while now, and really appreciate all the information on this forum. I'm currently preparing for SFG 1 in September, and I'm really loving training with kettlebells. My previous experience is with Crossfit, so the transition to hardstyle swinging has been interesting - but I'm loving it! My wife and I are working toward opening up a nonprofit indoor playground and alternative fitness center, which is where the need/desire for the SFG class comes in. I'm looking forward to being apart of this community!

@Zach

Welcome to the forums. That's an interesting goal: "opening up a nonprofit indoor playground and alternative fitness center". If you don't mind answering questions, what led you both to that?

@Zach

Welcome to the forums. That's an interesting goal: "opening up a nonprofit indoor playground and alternative fitness center". If you don't mind answering questions, what led you both to that?

Don't mind at all! My wife and I found something to the tune of freedom (quality of life, confidence better health) when we started doing CrossFit a few years back. We loved doing this together and it seemed be really good for our marriage, and our growing family (three boys 5 and under). We want to be able to share the benefits that we've experienced with our community, but in a way that is different than what is available currently ("athletic club", and CrossFit), and more importantly make this available to people who can't afford to pay the premiums of typical box/club memberships. That is the basics of the fitness side of things. The other part of what we want to create is an indoor play area that will have some typical playground features like slides and things, but also have other fun things to play on as well. Whidbey Island, where we live, is an amazing place to explore, with wonderful people. Unfortunately it seems like in the colder/wetter/darker months of the year, much of the community goes into hiding. We're hoping to encourage kids and adults alike to get up and out and playing/moving with other members of the community.

I could go on about all we want to accomplish, but already feel long winded. Let me know if you have any other questions.

@Oscar - See above reply to MarkSch and let me know if you have a different question.

@Zach yes, sorry, i missed the post above. that pretty much covers it.

So I'm guessing that in appearance is going to look like a crossfit box, and with an adult playground included? Sounds like Disney to me.

@Oscar - Less like a box, and more like a obstacle course/playground that has things sized for both kids and adults, with a pile of kettlebells somewhere in there for those looking for something more.

I could go on about all we want to accomplish, but already feel long winded. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Not long winded at all. I think it's fantastic that you are trying to help your community through fitness and fun, for little cost. Good luck, I hope it goes very well for you.

3 boys age five and under (5.5, 4, 2.5)
Very cool! Mine are 5 (6 in sept.), 4, and 13 mo's. It is pretty wild as I'm sure you are aware! Wouldn't trade it for anything though.

A couple of you were interested in the nonprofit we are starting. We are getting ever closer to our goal of opening in Dec/Jan. We now have a website/FB up and running, as well as a kick-starter type fundraiser we started (this has a video that explains a bit more of what we're up to). Links are below. Let me know if you have any questions, or SUGGESTIONS would be awesome!

WEB: www.thebackyardwhidbey.org
FB: www.facebook.com/thebackyardwhidbey
Generosity: The Backyard

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom