all posts post new thread

Barbell Size for Blocks for BP?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Steve Freides

Staff
Senior Certified Instructor Emeritus
Elite Certified Instructor
I've been wearing Oly shoes to raise my feet a bit for my bench press. I'm thinking it's time for proper blocks instead.

2" high x 6" wide x 12" long - does that sound about right? I could just buy a 2 x 6 and have it cut into 12" sections.

Thanks.

-S-

A 2x6 and a 1x6 should do the trick. And yeah, 12 inches should be fine. I like the 1x6 in case just 1 2x6 isn't high enough and 2 2x6 is to much. A lot of times Home Depot and other stores have scrap laying around.

FYI, just in case...

From the USA POWERLIFTING Lifter’s Handbook...bench press section.

"To achieve firm footing the lifter may use flat surfaced plates, or blocks not exceeding 30cm in
total height and a minimum dimension of 60cm x 40cm, to build up the surface of the platform.
Blocks in the range of 5cm, 10cm, 20cm, and 30cm should be made available for foot placement
at all international competitions."

SOURCE:
Lifter’s Handbook
The Condensed version of the
USA Powerlifting Rulebook
(Revised June 2016)
Lifter’s Handbook is designed for use by lifters and coaches.
It includes the basic rules currently used by USA Powerlifting.

Carl in Dover

I posted on a local list and someone has scraps of 2x6 for me. I’ll start with those and see how it goes. Because my bench lives in my power rack, there isn’t a ton of room.

-S-

@Carl in Dover, 40 x 60 cm is about 16 x 24 inches. I already have something 2” x 10” x 12” (called a quarter mini apple box) but I need smaller for my setup at home.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom