all posts post new thread

Kettlebell traps tense

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

ELM

Level 1 Valued Member
Hi guys:
I'm recently recovering from a neck injure, and it pass 3 month ago. I've been feeling a tense traps lately when i do kettlebell due to swings. do I have to expect tense traps in the future, am I doing something wrong or should I suspend every kettle bell work?

Are you cleared by a physiotherapist or doctor to resume exercising?

If possible, could you visit an SFG instructor to check your form, or post a video here?

Do you mean traps as in tension at the top of them, like the area between the tip of the shoulder up towards where the head and neck join? I am not a kettlebell instructor at all but when you mention that, that makes me think you are shrugging your shoulders up. Your lat muscles need to be engaged....one of the best cues I ever received from the SFG instructor I once worked with was to picture the bottom of your scapula (bottom tip of your shoulder blade) and focus on pulling it towards your waistline or towards the back pocket of your pants, both when you hinge your hips back and grasp the bell and prepare for that first swing, and during the swings themselves. That goes for swings, as well as for other things like getups as well.

I am sure that others will chime in here to to answer some of your questions. Welcome here!

thank you guys I will practice that way, and try to contact the instructor

Same boat here except its only with heavier kb snatches with decent volume or barbell Olympic lifts. so something with traps & neck locking up and headaches. it's been that way for years and I've never solved it.

@ELM ,

I suffered a neck injury 25 years ago in a high school wrestling accident. Trap, lats, and general neck pain and stiffness has plagued me for those 25 years until I started doing original strength reset from original strengths tactical athlete and pressing reset books. Been doing it for about 1.5 months, I have never felt better. I feel like this has greatly improved my s&s experience.

For the record, the time I've been doing the resets has been more effective than doctors, massage therapy, foam rolling, stretching, yoga, etc... over the previous 25 years.

Just my experience, not saying it's a fix all or even the answer for you.

@ELM ,

I suffered a neck injury 25 years ago in a high school wrestling accident. Trap, lats, and general neck pain and stiffness has plagued me for those 25 years until I started doing original strength reset from original strengths tactical athlete and pressing reset books. Been doing it for about 1.5 months, I have never felt better. I feel like this has greatly improved my s&s experience.

For the record, the time I've been doing the resets has been more effective than doctors, massage therapy, foam rolling, stretching, yoga, etc... over the previous 25 years.

Just my experience, not saying it's a fix all or even the answer for you.

Awesome to hear! And what you say is my experience aswell! Do you do ”the big five” or how do you set up your reset?

Awesome to hear! And what you say is my experience aswell! Do you do ”the big five” or how do you set up your reset?

I believe so. I set a timer for 5 sets, 3 minutes each: abdominal breathing, head nod, rolling, rocking, crawling. I do this 6 days a week before s&s. I'm starting to progress the crawl from baby to leopard and starting to do other rocking variations.

Regardless I'm just happy with the results, I can turn my head to look for traffic and don't have to turn my whole torso. Neck and shoulder pain is gone. Some how there is carry over to what I thought was tight hamstrings but was really a protection mechanism when touching my toes. I could only touch my toes after doing the Gray cook toe touch progression. Now I can just bend over and touch my toes.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom