all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Bodyweight + Single KB program

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Andrej SK

Level 4 Valued Member
Dear guys, let me post a more serious thread (compared to the cookie one earlier today)...

Im really wondering if there is any long term program that combines bodyweight training with Kettlebell...even if there was only the Swing involved to complete the hinge movement...

Im looking for some quick workouts that I can do during my lunch break in the work
Conditioning effect is at the moment more important to me than Stregth effect

Than you !

Or alternate days of strength aerobics (with bodyweight, and minus the pull ups if you don't have somewhere to do them) with days of S&S. You could just use the swing portion of S&S if you're really crunched for time. Lots of options.

Do the "royal road" hindu squats, bridge progressions, and pushups with swings. Add TGU, loaded carries, and pullups for variety. That would hit everything and is meant to be high volume.

The program minimum was a conditioning based kettlebell protocol. The ETK workbook had you doing bodyweight drills as active recovery (It's actually a great companion to the program because it tells you exactly what to do and how long, reps, etc...).

Dear guys, let me post a more serious thread (compared to the cookie one earlier today)...

Im really wondering if there is any long term program that combines bodyweight training with Kettlebell...even if there was only the Swing involved to complete the hinge movement...

Im looking for some quick workouts that I can do during my lunch break in the work

Than you !
Have you considered doing S&S? If time is limited then doing some get ups will work almost your whole body in one movement. There is no need to do separate sets for the push ups and the leg exercises. As for conditioning, you can have yourself huffing and puffing like a train when you do get ups after doing 100 swings.

Than you !
Do you have a copy of Kettlebell Simple and Sinister. If you don't, I would highly recommend it. It will teach you a lot about building conditioning with strength training exercises.

Guys, many thanks for the tips! Yes I know SnS, I already reached Simple goal with it in the past...However, I found out that it's not the strength Im lacking the most but conditioning and endurance...I feel strong but a little bit fat...I was considering something like bodyweight interval tacfit program combined with KB swings and pull ups GTG other days...in fact I also like Pavel Macek recommendation of NW + Swings/Snatches... i just find technic of NW exercises very difficult...I cant really do either of the 2 exercises at the moment... You know I was curious because there are many KB programs or Bodyweight programs... but I seldom see some official recommended and approved program that just combines both...

"but I seldom see some official recommended and approved program that just combines both..."
AndrejSK, I wouldn't worry too much about that - if you want to mix something up as long it suits your needs and doesn't compromise your health and safety (sorry I try never to use those words) then go ahead. I am currently getting some "happy" workouts combining press ups with alternate days of swings and snatches along with some loaded carries. You can mix this up any way you like putting the emphasis where you like on any given day. It can be as long or short as you like. For instance I am pushed for time today and the work out took around 10 minutes.
Go for it and enjoy.

@Andrej SK If your looking for conditioning have you experienced Dan Johns Litvinov protocol?
The Litvinov Workout | T Nation
Cliff notes would be you perform HEAVY Front squats for 8 reps and then sprint all out for 5-10sec. Rest repeat for a total of 3 times. there is an option for using swings but then its 20-30 reps sprint for 5-10 sec. 2 weekly. Its horrible and undoubtedly effective. I did it like twice in my life but its on my bucket list to try for 4-6 weeks as a "fun" challenge.

.. i just find technic of NW exercises very difficult...I cant really do either of the 2 exercises at the moment...

That's okay. You don't need to. This is why there are regressions and progressions built into the programme. Perfect your regular push-ups. Do elevated OAPU. Do box pistols. There are many variations...

Can anyone define the difference between endurance and conditioning ?

I'm thinking "energy" levels and breathing.

Interesting question. And I like the "Bodyweight Conditioning" article posted by @pet' above; there are some good points in it.

But specific to the "energy" levels (energy systems?) and breathing....

I think of endurance as a mix of energy systems. When I go for a very long bike ride, I'm using alactic power, glycolytic fueling -- but mostly aerobic fueling. If I can ride for 1-6 hours (it's been a while since I did a "century" ride of 100 miles in 5-6 hours, but I have done them in recent years), then my body must be good at using both slow-twitch and fast-twitch fiber to produce power, recovering and refueling between harder efforts, and having a tolerance for continuing physical activity for a very long time. I also must have a strong heart and lungs that can continue a big output for hours on end.

Conditioning I tend to think of efforts of 5-30 minutes of higher (i.e. closer to max) output, and mostly fast-twitch fiber. This might be a lactate threshold bike ride, a CF 'metcon', a kettlebell snatch test of 5 or 10 minutes, a kettlebell circuit, a HIIT circuit, a 5k running race.... etc. All three energy systems are being used in this too, but but it's heavily glycolytic. All fitness aspects can help with these, but a strong aerobic base will help more with a running or cycling race, and strength will help more with a metcon or circuit requiring power or strength.

As far as breathing, I would say that it's generally not a limiter on endurance - you breath a lot harder than at rest, but are not maxed out. It can be a limiter on conditioning, huffing and puffing and having to take breaks during the activity to "catch your breath."

I prefer to spend most training time on the long-term building blocks of conditioning like aerobic base and strength. I can build short-term glycolytic conditioning with a couple of weeks of high-intensity work when I need it.

As usual @Anna C is spot on in her observations.
(I would just add that in some circles, even 6 hours is not a very long effort.)

Interesting question. And I like the "Bodyweight Conditioning" article posted by @pet' above; there are some good points in it.

But specific to the "energy" levels (energy systems?) and breathing....

I think of endurance as a mix of energy systems. When I go for a very long bike ride, I'm using alactic power, glycolytic fueling -- but mostly aerobic fueling. If I can ride for 1-6 hours (it's been a while since I did a "century" ride of 100 miles in 5-6 hours, but I have done them in recent years), then my body must be good at using both slow-twitch and fast-twitch fiber to produce power, recovering and refueling between harder efforts, and having a tolerance for continuing physical activity for a very long time. I also must have a strong heart and lungs that can continue a big output for hours on end.

Conditioning I tend to think of efforts of 5-30 minutes of higher (i.e. closer to max) output, and mostly fast-twitch fiber. This might be a lactate threshold bike ride, a CF 'metcon', a kettlebell snatch test of 5 or 10 minutes, a kettlebell circuit, a HIIT circuit, a 5k running race.... etc. All three energy systems are being used in this too, but but it's heavily glycolytic. All fitness aspects can help with these, but a strong aerobic base will help more with a running or cycling race, and strength will help more with a metcon or circuit requiring power or strength.

As far as breathing, I would say that it's generally not a limiter on endurance - you breath a lot harder than at rest, but are not maxed out. It can be a limiter on conditioning, huffing and puffing and having to take breaks during the activity to "catch your breath."

I prefer to spend most training time on the long-term building blocks of conditioning like aerobic base and strength. I can build short-term glycolytic conditioning with a couple of weeks of high-intensity work when I need

Thank you for the clarification. Although I don't see the point :oops:

With energy level I mean vitality. And I imagined conditioning would be to increase one's vitality.

With energy level I mean vitality. And I imagined conditioning would be to increase one's vitality.

Oh, energy as in, feeling energetic throughout the day? Well, that's a million dollar question... but my bet would be on aerobic base, strength, low-stress training that leaves energy in the tank, good healthy living, and a premium on recovery (sleep, nutrition, down time, etc.). I don't think glycolytic conditioning does anything for that directly. That's just my opinion and my personal experience. The glycolytic conditioning just makes you able to perform a lot of work in a short period of time... which might be called "fitness"... depending on what you want to be fit for.

Now having said that, I'll say that I do believe a dose of it once every couple of weeks (and maybe a focus on it for a few weeks a couple of times per year) can give a powerful boost to other types of fitness, so I think that in an indirect way, it could help with vitality. And yes, I do it myself sometimes. :)

Hey guys, the more i think of it the more i like tnw + kb swing + pull ups as some of you suggested...but i have to start with regressions...

But then another question arises...tnw suggests you do gtg, however, i need to work it out during my 30 min timeframe in the gym during lunchbreak...:/ how do you recommend to structure this 4 exercises into one single training ?

One arm push ups
One leg squats
Kb swings
Pull ups

I mean, i can do pull ups as a gtg, but the first three i need to do together in the gym....at minimum

Any ideas about the training routine ?

p.s: by conditioning and endurance i meant that when i run up the stairs or play and fight with kids i dont feel short of breath :) probably not the correct terms, but this is what i meant

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom