all posts post new thread

Kettlebell T handle vs Kettlebell for Swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

KIWI5

Level 4 Valued Member
And the winner is.....my home made T handle loaded with standard plates. I should note- I am referencing 2 handed swings, the kettlebell obviously wins for one handed swings.

During rehab for double tennis elbows, my physio reminded me that the power in my grip should come primarily from my pinkie and ring finger. Great advice that played a big part in recovering from tennis elbow. After spending over a year practising my swings (2 handed) I looked at my hand placement on the cast iron bells- both my pinkie and ring finger end up on the curved section of the bell in a cramped and less than optimal position for creating a powerful grip. In fact, it is a hugely inefficient grip that really makes itself felt when swinging 24kg bells and up. So I put together a t Handle and with 5x5kg standard weights clamped on (weighing 26.2kg total on my digital scales) I started training the new style . WOW. The T Handle is awesome for 2 handed swinging. Being able to use all the power in my hands on the straight handles of the T Handle, without the compromised position on the kettlebell made for the best session of swinging so far. I have a wider stance, a bit wider than when I'm practising double kettlebell movements, but this is a game changer. I can fit a total of 9x5kg plates on, so well over half my 81kg body weight. Perfect timing, I am just starting a deload from barbell training so I've got all week to pattern the new technique. My first set of swings was actually with 6x5 plates and I knew immediately that the T Handle was superior to the kettlebell for two handed swings- I call my T Handle the "Monster Maker"- I am going to go from being relatively "jacked" to......"Jacked AF". So the program will now be 2 days Wendler 5/3/1 , 2 days mobility/level 1 cardio and 2 days of modified S&S with TGUs practised first. All swings done with the "Monster Maker". Heck, I might even bring out a classic set play from Tactical Barbell and deploy swings as a finisher on 5/3/1 days.....

I’m curious... could you load the T-handle with enough plates to have a decent deadlifting workout?

That would depend on two areas: the length of the main pipe dictates how many plates you can put on and you might need to stand on cinder blocks if the length got too long. Of course the bigger plates are wider as well, leading to a more sumo stance.

Actually, I just checked- I could fit 9x20kg plates on and my stance is not too crazy sumo....however the handle height is mid shin so would be somewhat close to a raised deadlift.(rack deadlift or whatever it's called). So yes, if 180kg is a challenging deadlift weight then the T Handle "Monster Maker" just gained another use. And for me, 180kg is wayyyyy over my max deadlift! This is another area where T Handle beats kettlebell- I can't wait to try some deadlifts with this.

Actually, I just checked- I could fit 9x20kg plates on and my stance is not too crazy sumo....however the handle height is mid shin so would be somewhat close to a raised deadlift.(rack deadlift or whatever it's called). So yes, if 180kg is a challenging deadlift weight then the T Handle "Monster Maker" just gained another use. And for me, 180kg is wayyyyy over my max deadlift! This is another area where T Handle beats kettlebell- I can't wait to try some deadlifts with this.

I like that!

It could be a powerful training tool for those who train at home in small spaces that won’t allow the use of a conventional barbell.

Thanks for checking. Much appreciated.

Exactly- the limitation will be the pipe threads and how much weight/shear can be sustained before they fail. I have read that home made T Handles should be replaced every 6 months but this all depends of course. I am going to have an engineer put together a tougher version once I have tested the current dimensions.

Correction - I checked the width of my 20 kg plates and I could fit 6x20kg plates, not 9. So is 120kg enough of a deadlift challenge? For me the answer is......at this stage of my training....yes. a longer main pipe would allow for more plates, but then the handle would be just under my kneecaps so I would use paving stones or cinder blocks to stand on. All very cheap and easy to do in a very small space.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom