all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB swing grip

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Gravytrain

Level 5 Valued Member
Ive noticed than when I grip the bell, I am not fully using my thumb in the grip. It rests on the top of the handle.

can I get some feedback on the pros and cons of each? Does it really matter? Thank you in advance.

The thumb is the least important finger when gripping- in respects to strength. Pinkie and ring finger are where the majority of your effort should be.

@KIWI5 Is indeed correct: 'Hooking' the handle with the fingers is how it's done; trying to squeeze the handle with the fingers and thumb caused me no end of problems including torn skin, blisters and the occasional thrown kettlebell.

Going by calluses, the main players in 1HS grip are the middle finger, ring finger and index finger.

The thumb is the least important finger when gripping- in respects to strength. Pinkie and ring finger are where the majority of your effort should be.
This is right and wrong.
The thumb indeed is not really needed during swings, but pinkie and ring finger are only the main players for closed hand crushing. For open hand crushing and pinch gripping the thumb becomes the most important one.
For more info see this - Crushed-to-Dust!® Cube

@StanStan is right that for swings (1H and 2H) the most important ones are ring, middle and index.
You should form a hook with your fingers and let the handle rest there. The thumb is only there as a "safety net" so the KB doesn't slip out, but the majority of the weight should be hold in your fingers:
closed-hook-grip.jpg

Thanks. So if I understand, the hook grip without the thumb is the preferred method by the majority of people so far.

So....not to be pedantic, but my statement was 100% correct. The thumb has a marginal role, keep your strength focus on the pinkie and ring finger. Always. If your calluses are on your index finger than your grip is less than optimal.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom