all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell alternative to full contact twists?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

skestrel

First Post
Obligatory first-post wave.

I've been doing hardstyle kettelbell work for a few years but have yet to find a decent replacement for full contact twists (I have no access to a barbell right now). Can anyone recommend a kettlebell move that focuses on building rotational strength?

I've been relying on one-handed swings, snatches, presses, and carries, but those seem to build "stability" strength more than "active" strength (I don't know what I'm talking about).

@skestrel
I will also add my welcome.

What are you training for? What are your goals? What is this 'rotational strength' going to provide you?

There is certainly an anti-rotational aspect to one arm swings.

Additionally TGU's provide similar effects.

@skestrel - Welcome to the StrongFirst community!

I did a search on YouTube and found something similar to full contact twists. They are called High Rotations and it starts at 3:45:

Last edited:
I used to do Full Contact twists a lot...but find S&S gives me much better rotational strength and coordination for sports. Consistency over time and always improving form is key. TGU's are very good for this when you come to rely on the torso more than pushing with the heel and pulling with the elbow to start them. Full Contact twists also require strict form to use the torso/hip muscles rather than the arms/shoulders.

Thanks for the kind welcome.

What are you training for? What are your goals? What is this 'rotational strength' going to provide you?

There is certainly an anti-rotational aspect to one arm swings.

Additionally TGU's provide similar effects.

"Anti-rotational" is a much better way to put it than "stability."

My other sport is martial arts. Full contact twists are just awesome for developing rotational strength/power that shows up in hooks, roundhouse kicks, certain throws, etc. Anything that involves twisting.

I used to do Full Contact twists a lot...but find S&S gives me much better rotational strength and coordination for sports. Consistency over time and always improving form is key. TGU's are very good for this when you come to rely on the torso more than pushing with the heel and pulling with the elbow to start them. Full Contact twists also require strict form to use the torso/hip muscles rather than the arms/shoulders.

Interesting. I've not found S&S tools to be better for this. The TGU is the one I use most as well, but the ROM is significantly smaller and I have much better leverage the whole time so it doesn't quite feel the same. What sports has it shown up for you?

I did a search on YouTube and found something similar to full contact twists. They are called High Rotations and it starts at 3:45:

Dear god, that looks absolutely terrifying. How do you avoid shredding your knees with work like that?

TGU is the one I use most as well, but the ROM is significantly smaller and I have much better leverage the whole time so it doesn't quite feel the same. What sports has it shown up for you?
Well... I cycle, climb, run, and do some 'soft' MA; although I look at them more as lifestyle choices as opposed to sports. I have found that the TGU helps to 'tie everything together'. I can't point to any specific examples of performance improvement (other than maybe sit-starts in bouldering), but rather an overall feeling, if that makes any sense. That along with a decided improvement in shoulder health. Shoulder issues being the bane of many a climber.

Thanks, I'd never heard of these. I'll give them a try. Through a chain of linked Youtube videos I was also reminded of the Low Windmill which may help as well.

If you mentioned windmills than go for high windmills - you can't cheat at end range on those. Or even better - bent press

@skestrel - Lol, I don’t do any of those. I was just trying to find a movement that mimicked the full contact twists.

I do think that windmills and bent-presses, as others have mentioned, are great for rotational work.

I've been doing hardstyle kettelbell work for a few years but have yet to find a decent replacement for full contact twists (I have no access to a barbell right now). Can anyone recommend a kettlebell move that focuses on building rotational strength?

I've been relying on one-handed swings, snatches, presses, and carries, but those seem to build "stability" strength more than "active" strength (I don't know what I'm talking about).

A full S&S program done 5 days/wk is the most effective thing I've found for creating power in a reverse punch, heavy 2 hand swings build a rock solid posterior chain, alternating with 1 handed swings plus consistent heavy get-ups and you have a great power base builder.
Punching in water is also very effective but not practical for me on a consistent basis.

If you want extra rotational work/strength you can add partial get-ups from the floor to elbow in sets of 3 to 5, they work for me.

This is a program to build plenty of power for MA IMHO

How to Get Better at Everything by Training Multiple Get-Ups | StrongFirst

- Partial get ups - roll to elbow. Do sets of 3-5, with a heavier weight.
- Russian Karate twists - press, push press, or jerk two kettlebells and rotate left and right.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom