all posts post new thread

Barbell Barbell top-half deadlift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

David C

Level 5 Valued Member
Has anyone here used the barbell top-half deadlift for learning and progressing in the barbell DL? In Deadlift Dynamite Pavel recommends starting the DL racks or blocks right below the knee-caps. From that height progress to 225lbs. 5x5, then move progressively to lower rack pins owning the weight at each height until reaching the floor. This is suppose to require less skill and flexibility and teaches to drive the hips. Any thoughts on the effectiveness of this method? Or anyone here with experience using the method?

It's a solid approach for anyone. I'm currently working with my older son on this approach. We own a pile of 2" deadlift blocks, which makes figuring this out pretty simple - with 135 lbs. on the bar, I watched him pull from the floor and he was rounding his back. We talked about hip hinging, and we tried 2" blocks but that didn't fix the problem, but 4" of elevation did, so that's how he's doing his deadlifts for now. You could, of course, do the same thing pulling from pins in a rack. Note that my son is strong as a horse, was squatting 400 lbs. @175 in high school, but he knows he's never gotten the DL form right and he also knows he's had issues with tight hamstrings, so he's working on it as discussed above. Done right, this kind of progression should help with hamstring flexibility as well.

Here's a link to what we have:

DC Blocks

They're expensive new, IMHO, but I was able to find someone selling a pile of them used on my local Craigslist. I think I paid about $10 apiece for them.

-S-

Training from a certain height and then progressively going lower is a good technique. I, however, typically only coach people to pull from a height if they can't get to the bottom portion of the deadlift with a neutral spine. If they can get there, I just have them use a lighter weight in the beginning. Starting with kettlebell deadlifts is also usually very beneficial.

It is actually a very viable method for developing mobility and technique over time, or for allowing a lifter to get used to a heavier weight and progressively lower it closer to full ROM. Bob People's and Paul Anderson both used this method to up their enormous deadlifts and squats respectively. Like others have suggested, pulls off of blocks > from the rack. You can combine also alternate days from the blocks/rack with KB pulls days, as @Arryn Grogan suggested to further develop technique from floor. I.e. Day 1 Block Pulls, Day 2 KB DL, Day 3 Blocks...the next week. Day 1 KB DL, Day 2 Block Pulls, Day 3 KB DL.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom