all posts post new thread

Kettlebell When pressed for time...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Al S.

Level 4 Valued Member
My kettlebell practice is always S&S.
On days when I am pressed for time, what would be better?
- Shorten S&S to 5 sets swings, 2-3 TGUs
- just do 10 sets swings
- just do 5 sets TGUs?
Opinions?
Thanks in advance.
Al S.

10 sets of swings is what I do if I don't have time. I might even use a lighter bell and do sets of 20. I think swings is the best idea in general, unless tgu are lagging behind too much.

My kettlebell practice is always S&S.
On days when I am pressed for time, what would be better?
- Shorten S&S to 5 sets swings, 2-3 TGUs
- just do 10 sets swings
- just do 5 sets TGUs?
Opinions?
Thanks in advance.
Al S.

I lack behind in swings, therefore I will do swings when I am pressed for time.

Occasionally I skip the warmup, but that needs caution and works best with a lighter bell.

Yesterday I did the full volume of swings and getups in “Simply Sinister” style with a lighter working weight in around 15 minutes or so with one round of warmup. I still feel it in my legs today :)

Other option, swings in the morning and getups in the evening.

"Simply Sinister" only takes about 10 minutes, after the warm-up.
Simply Sinister trial

Otherwise I would say skip the get-ups and do the swings. Once you've been doing them for a while, the abilities and benefits seem to stick around even with less than daily practice.

When pressed for time I use the bell I fully own for s&s. Can have it done in 20mins including full warmup, less if I shorten the warm up.

Option 1
Timed session (test mode 4k to 8k less than normal load)

Option 2
Simply sinister trial

Option 3
Do swings or get-ups alternating per short time session (then you'll get a full session for every 2 short days)

I would recommend swings and get-ups on alternating days. You can adjust sets and reps to taste depending on time. If you're swinging heavy, 5-10 sets of 5-10 reps should do the job. With a lighter bell you can go for higher rep sets or just more sets depending on how much time you have.

You can do mutliple subsequent get-ups per side if you're pushed for time aas well. Two or three get-ups per side without setting the bell down can be a real beast and will definitely take less time than 5 per side, switching hands each rep.

Just to give you an idea:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Warm-up of goblet squats and hip bridges (5 mins), Swings: 5-10 sets of 5-10 reps (10 mins max)

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: Warm-up of haloes and prying cobras/pump stretches (5 mins), 2-3 sets of 2-3 consecutive get-ups per side (4-9 mins)​

I hope this helps.

Offwidth, as you say, it might come down to goals. However, in the context of S&S, my experience has been similar to @Anna C , that the tgu progresses well with less frequency than swings.
Agreed. But I don't do S&S for the sake of S&S. I do it for the value of the individual components. I just happen to find way more personal value in the TGU. (But when I do look at my performance in S&S as a whole, I definitely find swing progression way in advance of TGU)

Whenever there is talk about finding time to train, I am reminded of this article by Bobby Maximus...

In this exercise, the person in question and I stand in front of a big white board. I write “168” in big numbers. I tell the person, “168 happens to be the number of hours there are in a week.”

Then I ask the person how many hours he works and sleeps each week. For the purpose of this exercise, let’s say he works 70 hours a week—that’s 14 hours each day, Monday to Friday. Then I assign the person 8 hours of sleep each night, or 56 weekly hours. I don’t ask about sleep, I tell—people rarely get 8 hours of sleep every night but that’s how much they should be sleeping.

Add 70 and 56, and right now the person has used only 126 hours out of a possible 168. Do the math and you’re left with 42 extra waking hours each week that this guy tells me he “doesn’t” have. That’s nearly two days he claims just aren’t there. I ask the person what the hell he does with the rest of his time. It’s a fair question.

The person inevitably start to shout things like “I have to commute to work,” “I have to grocery shop,” and “I have to spend time with my family!”

So I give the guy 10 hours of commuting (2 hours, five days a week), 3 hours of weekly grocery shopping, and 20 hours of quality time with his family.

That brings his total hours to 159 hours, meaning he still has 9 spare hours each week. By now the guy gets the message.

I would Second @Anna C suggestion of Simply sinister plan. if your willing to venture out side S&S GTG bodyweight skills are pretty great if you have a job/enviornment that would support such AWESOME behavior.

Agree w/ what most previous threads have already pointed out - keep on swinging if wanting to continue S&S.

When I have 20 minutes or less to crank out a workout, I resort to:

1. Any one of the Kettlebell Snacks from @Hector G
2. Burpees EMOM - you can do them anywhere, and they will get your heart pumping if thats what you're going for

If you just want to hit all of the movements (Swing, hinge, press, squat etc.) try the Strongfirst Deep 6: A Group Lesson Plan for Conquering the Deep 6 | StrongFirst for as many rounds as you can in the time frame you have. You'll find that it has the potential to smoke you.

Offwidths post reminds of a saying we had in the financial industry. Pay yourself first.

Lots of folks try to save what is left at the end of the month. Put aside your savings amount first when paid and then live on the rest.

Treat your KB practice as an appointment with yourself and schedule it first.

Yes of course there are a few times you may have less time or no time. I try to treat these days as form check day using either lighter weight, fewer reps, or use a heavier weight than usual and only a few reps but really concentrate on form. Be in the moment for every part. Focus on how your body parts feel. I may also focus on only a piece of a movement ie roll to elbow on getup or setting up the hinge.

Which I chose and which exercise will depend on how the last few workouts have gone. May also depend on what has interfered with the workout.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom