all posts post new thread

Bodyweight GTG naked warrior: carryover to KB grinds

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

fractal

Level 7 Valued Member
I’m currently following a strongfirst A+A snatch plan and am thinking about using GTG naked warrior as my main supplementary strength work. I also walk/ruck 3-5 hours per week, which doesn’t eat into my recovery.

I am currently able to do a full pistol and did 25 last week. I find OAOLPU flat with fingertip assistance from the other hand to be the sweet spot for a single, I did 6 yesterday. I must confess I haven’t reread naked warrior in some time, so my apologies if some of this is covered in the book.

Rationale:
  • I’m out of the house 12+ hours per day, 4 days per week. Training before work on these days is always a squeeze. I have potentially 16+ opportunities per day to GTG
  • Pistols keep my hip happy for rucking
  • My hands appreciate the break from gripping outside of snatches
  • It’s a simple, contained and proven system
  • These skills have always improved more quickly than KB grinds, making them low hanging fruit
Goals secondary to the snatch plan:
  • Build a general base of strength with carryover to KB grinds
  • Improve my press
  • SFG1 in 8 months at the earliest - no rush
  • Fill in the gaps left by snatches with non-competing movements
Questions:
  • Do the naked warrior skills have an appreciable carryover to KB front squats and presses?
  • What has your experience been with long term, exclusive or nearly exclusive GTG naked warrior + KB ballistics?
  • What is a reasonable number of total sets per day/week with respect to CNS fatigue?
  • Do any weekly volume waving programs exist?
  • Would GTG for 4 consecutive days followed by a ‘break’ (with the bulk of my other training) for 3 consecutive days be reasonable?

Last edited:
Questions:
  • Do the naked warrior skills have an appreciable carryover to KB front squats and presses?
  • What is a reasonable number of total sets per day/week with respect to CNS fatigue?

A) yes. The best thing ever for my press (including pressing) was achieving my one arm one leg pushup. I literally went from not budging a 32kg to pressing it after 2-3 months of only OAOLPU GTG.
B) play it by ear and listen to your body

Questions:
  • What has your experience been with long term, exclusive or nearly exclusive GTG naked warrior + KB ballistics?
  • Do any weekly volume waving programs exist?
  • Would GTG for 4 consecutive days followed by a ‘break’ (with the bulk of my other training) for 3 consecutive days be reasonable?

The NW skills will make you stronger (thereby possibly improving your press) but I wouldn't hope for much carryover honestly. You'll get better at the KB press by doing the KB press, not the OAOLPU.

I could slow overhead press the 32kg (42% of bodyweight) for 1 rep each arm without really practicing the press. I think that's probably because I had been training the full OAPU. There's gotta be some sort of "carry over" present, but I still think the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, do you know what I mean.

My experience running NW has been:
- super strong (in relation to myself)
- super tight (glutes, quads, hams, lower neck area, mid back)
- easily out of breath
- need rest days at least once a week

I always like to have around 10 reps per limb per day. 5 / 5 twice a day, 3/3 3 times a day, etc.

GTG for 4 consecutive days and then a break is going to work, just not as quickly as running only Pistol and Pushup all 6 days per week with no other training

The NW skills will make you stronger (thereby possibly improving your press) but I wouldn't hope for much carryover honestly. You'll get better at the KB press by doing the KB press, not the OAOLPU.

I could slow overhead press the 32kg (42% of bodyweight) for 1 rep each arm without really practicing the press. I think that's probably because I had been training the full OAPU. There's gotta be some sort of "carry over" present, but I still think the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, do you know what I mean.

My experience running NW has been:
- super strong (in relation to myself)
- super tight (glutes, quads, hams, lower neck area, mid back)
- easily out of breath
- need rest days at least once a week

I always like to have around 10 reps per limb per day. 5 / 5 twice a day, 3/3 3 times a day, etc.

GTG for 4 consecutive days and then a break is going to work, just not as quickly as running only Pistol and Pushup all 6 days per week with no other training

Thanks, I've worked my press with much focus for a few months with little indication of progress. I pushed for a new PR last week and flared up an old shoulder injury. I have had an SFG make major modifications to my press and I'm still refining. I think a more roundabout approach might work better right now, especially with high volume snatching.

I'll still be using the getup-press ala the recent Brett Jones article at least a few sets per week, plus mace work, hanging, etc - so I'll be able to continue to refine the pressing groove. I remember years back I was doing some OAP work GTG and was shocked at the increase in tricep drive when I went back to dips, so I am optimistic.

Last edited:
Hello,

I think OA push up or OAOL PU can bring you to a very acceptable press:
Here are some protocols:
Get a Heavier Military Press With the One-arm One-leg Push-up | StrongFirst
Calisthenics for Iron Domination: From Bodyweight to Heavy Weight | StrongFirst

However, I think one of the best bodyweight move to improve you kb press remains the handstand push up:
How to Double Your Kettlebell Press in 6 Weeks Without Touching a Bell | StrongFirst
Basically, a ROP frame with HS PU, but this is a little bit out of the original post.

Below is another strategy which works well on me:
Strength in Numbers: A Case for Push-up Endurance Training | StrongFirst

Simple push ups (either OAOL PU or high reps during the day) maintain all my pressing strength and also my core.

Regarding the pistol, adding reps and volume make legs quite strong. This is what I do and I can do it with 28kg bell without specific training:
https://www.strongfirst.com/program...m/how-to-build-up-to-100-consecutive-pistols/
5 Simple Tips for a Stronger Pistol | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'

I got a half bodyweight press coming off a vacation where I did nothing but one arm pushups/one arm one leg pushups

I got a 36kg press (bw under 150lbs) by working up to deficit wall HSPUs

I think OA push up or OAOL PU can bring you to a very acceptable press:
Here are some protocols:
Get a Heavier Military Press With the One-arm One-leg Push-up | StrongFirst
Calisthenics for Iron Domination: From Bodyweight to Heavy Weight | StrongFirst

However, I think one of the best bodyweight move to improve you kb press remains the handstand push up:
How to Double Your Kettlebell Press in 6 Weeks Without Touching a Bell | StrongFirst
Basically, a ROP frame with HS PU, but this is a little bit out of the original post.

I got a half bodyweight press coming off a vacation where I did nothing but one arm pushups/one arm one leg pushups

I got a 36kg press (bw under 150lbs) by working up to deficit wall HSPUs

A) yes. The best thing ever for my press (including pressing) was achieving my one arm one leg pushup. I literally went from not budging a 32kg to pressing it after 2-3 months of only OAOLPU GTG.

Excellent, it’s encouraging to see this is likely a universal outcome of OAPUs. I’ll certainly keep the HSPUs in mind for the future, but at this stage they may not be the most discrete way to GTG in a shared clinic space with only a glass divider between myself and my colleague!

I would also like to say,

I found snatches to be better than swings for NW. not sure why. Maybe I just liked them a lot more. But I found that infrequent snatching worked better for me than frequent swings. did this once or twice a week.

Trying to "play " on the NW is really where the best stuff happens in the program. Sometimes it just feels good to do a OAOL or a OAPU. sometimes you just gotta break one out. Pistols are the same way.

I can reasonably maintain the skills just by playing with them once or twice a week. I have NW days, but not every day, not every week. With pistol and OAPu, less is more and they will always be there for the long term, within reason.

Reading the book is the most important part. You read the book, gain the knowledge, learn the two skills, and you will always have them, and never forget what is taught, hopefully. They will come and go,

I would also like to say,

I found snatches to be better than swings for NW. not sure why. Maybe I just liked them a lot more. But I found that infrequent snatching worked better for me than frequent swings. did this once or twice a week.

Trying to "play " on the NW is really where the best stuff happens in the program. Sometimes it just feels good to do a OAOL or a OAPU. sometimes you just gotta break one out. Pistols are the same way.

I can reasonably maintain the skills just by playing with them once or twice a week. I have NW days, but not every day, not every week. With pistol and OAPu, less is more and they will always be there for the long term, within reason.

Reading the book is the most important part. You read the book, gain the knowledge, learn the two skills, and you will always have them, and never forget what is taught, hopefully. They will come and go,

Thanks, I'm about halfway through the book for the 3rd or 4th time now. I actually lost my pistol for a while and got it back by playing around with just a few total per week while holding onto something for support. The momentum built slowly without realising it.

I think snatches are just more potent in general. Since they are overhead and involve a bent elbow as well, most movement patterns are nicely rounded + NW in my opinion

I can certainly say this stuff works. I’ve never been able to string 2 pistols together. After 5 reps, 25 and 23 reps per side in the past 3 weeks respectively, I just tested 4 consecutive pistols. If there was more incentive I think 5 or 6 might have been possible

Following a programme that contains "only" OAPU/OAOLPU + snatches is one of the simplest, yet most effictive way to get better at almost everything physical! Since you add pistols and rucking you have an excellent programme.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom