all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Correctly hooking the bell during one-hand swings

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Tobias Wissmueller

Level 7 Valued Member
In "Simple & Sinister" Pavel writes in multiple locations "... hook the handle/bell with your fingers".

How do I correctly do that and at what point am I over- oder under-gripping the bell?

Following are two examples. Would the first one be under-gripping or the second already over-gripping?

In the lower right picture of both examples I am trying to show where the handle resides on the bone so to speak.

Example 1: under-gripping or correct?

2018-10-15%20Grip%201.jpg

Example 2: over-gripping or correct? Here, the handle is more resting on the joint (in green) and not on the bone itself.

2018-10-15%20Grip%202.jpg

Hi Tobias,

I think the second picture looks good. The point is to spare the skin at the base of the fingers (where your calluses are). The farther up to the fingertips the harder it gets on the grip. Try to find the sweet spot for you! Try to not overgrip the handle, that’s a good start and from there adjust accordingly. Experiment!
Hope I could help you.

Greetings

Luca

I think the second picture looks good. The point is to spare the skin at the base of the fingers (where your calluses are). The farther up to the fingertips the harder it gets on the grip. Try to find the sweet spot for you! Try to not overgrip the handle, that’s a good start and from there adjust accordingly. Experiment!

Thank you, @LLT.

The skin at the base of my fingers is sometimes pinched. This is definitely when I over-grip then. See the next picture. On top is example 1 and 2 and the bottom one is a very clear example of over-gripping I guess.

2018-10-15%20Grip%203.jpg

You are right. As soon as you have that pinching, try to change your grip by hooking the bell. It takes time to get used to but that’s a way to spare your hands.

I see it like this: when you do a double overhand deadlift, the barbell naturally rolls to your fingers. That would be a hook grip.

When you do the deadlift with mixed grip, the barbell can't rotate, and some of the load is taken by the skin. That would be equivalent to overgripping the kettlebell.

I think the first pic of your first post is an ok hook grip. I personally manage to overlap my thumb over my index finger, but that might be a matter of hand size.

Your first pictures get my vote. I don't think there's anything wrong with gripping as low as possible. Properly done, a snatch moves from the low grip to much deeper one, and spares the calluses in the process. For the swing, the low grip throughout.

@Brett Jones, would you agree?

Thanks, everyone.

-S-

I see it like this: when you do a double overhand deadlift, the barbell naturally rolls to your fingers. That would be a hook grip.

When you do the deadlift with mixed grip, the barbell can't rotate, and some of the load is taken by the skin. That would be equivalent to overgripping the kettlebell.

I think the first pic of your first post is an ok hook grip. I personally manage to overlap my thumb over my index finger, but that might be a matter of hand size.

Hook grip refers to having your thumb under some of your other fingers to prevent the rolling of the bar.

One can overgrip the bar and grip properly when using a mixed grip as well. If the weight is heavy enough, it will still come down, even if you try to overgrip. So no reason to do it. Also, when one is trying to milk every little bit of difference to do better, the severe overgrip has a longer range of motion.

When it comes to the original question by @Tobias Wissmueller , the first picture all the way. Although I prefer to not bother with the thumb.

@Antti no need to apologize. I think that the term "hook the kettlebell with your fingers" (paraphrasing) lends to confusion with the barbell hook grip, where you put the thumb below the other fingers. To me, the easiest way to identify if I´m overgripping the kettlebell is to notice if any of the load is taken by the skin. If yes, I´m overgripping.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom