all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Isolating shoulder packing

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

4-bit

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm still working step-by-step to eliminating my forward head posture when doing swings (2 handed).

Currently, I have a hypothesis that I sometimes lose my shoulder packing at the bottom of the swing, which pushes my neck forward.

I know the theory behind shoulder packing, and I know how it should feel when unweighted. But I'm a huge fan of practicing difficult things in isolation, when possible.

1. Do you know of any good weighted shoulder packing exercises/drills that can help getting my shoulder/back more solid when doing swings?

2. What weights would you recommended me to practice swings with while trying to get a rock-solid packing. (I can comfortably swing 16kg/20kg kbs, except that I often get those neck issues/pain because of the forward head posture).

Btw, I only do very short sets with long breaks right now (usually 3 swings/set), and I video record and review each rep.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Have a look at Original Strength drills.

My favourites for this exact situation are one arm drills from a) pushup position and b) standing row position.
For both get into the start position with straddled legs (wide stance) and both arms anchored. Then release one arm. Try to maintain the same position and keep breathing through the nose and with the diaphragm. Keep switching hands.

This will teach you how to pack your shoulder reflexively. The wide stance mimics the swing stance and is more stable.

The relaxed breathing and the feeling of being tall are crucial. Also add in some neck nods and head rotations.

If this works well you might try slow crawling, especially backwards crawling. Over time your body will remember how to align all parts.

PS: Do this apart from your training and directly before swings.

@Bauer Thanks for the suggestions! I'll make it a part of my daily mobility workout, and see if I can transfer it into my swings.

A question: What exactly is a Standing Row Position? I googled it and got a bit confused. Does it involve a barbell?

@Bauer Thanks for the suggestions! I'll make it a part of my daily mobility workout, and see if I can transfer it into my swings.

A question: What exactly is a Standing Row Position? I googled it and got a bit confused. Does it involve a barbell?

Ah, I meant bodyweight rows - but not down under the bar but pretty vertical. If you google "TRX single arm row" you will see what I mean.

Hello, hanging worked great for me, both active and passive. You can also add weight, I currently do active hangs with 24kg kettlebell.

if you have postural issues, Al says rucking helps it tremendously and I would have to agree after rucking for some time.

Speaking of OS:
Check out the scapular rock. It will immediately give you feedback and realy help you to get a feeling for packed shoulders.
Also: all kinds of crawling.

I'm still working step-by-step to eliminating my forward head posture when doing swings (2 handed).

Currently, I have a hypothesis that I sometimes lose my shoulder packing at the bottom of the swing, which pushes my neck forward.

I know the theory behind shoulder packing, and I know how it should feel when unweighted. But I'm a huge fan of practicing difficult things in isolation, when possible.

1. Do you know of any good weighted shoulder packing exercises/drills that can help getting my shoulder/back more solid when doing swings?

2. What weights would you recommended me to practice swings with while trying to get a rock-solid packing. (I can comfortably swing 16kg/20kg kbs, except that I often get those neck issues/pain because of the forward head posture).

Btw, I only do very short sets with long breaks right now (usually 3 swings/set), and I video record and review each rep.

Any input would be appreciated :)

If the head is coming forward at the top of the swing it is a technique issue with the swing and not necessarily with shoulder packing - you can have good packing but are using an added heave at the end which is throwing the head forward (it stalls just shy of neutral and the heave leaves it in a forward posture).

Concentrate on keeping the neck neutral as you come up, move the head along with everything else at the same speed/distance.

Upright rows using a kettlebell suspended from a towel are a good assistance lift - use a slight forward lean at the hips.

@4-bit , I would look to neck, shoulder and T- spine mobility along with the above advice. A locked up TS along with a stiff neck/shoulder girdle will wreak havoc among the supporting structures.
How is your overhead shoulder mobility?

Slow the move down. Pack your shoulders while deadlifting. Packing your shoulders doing bent over rows could be good too.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom