all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Pullups if little access to GTG methods...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

crazycanuck

Level 9 Valued Member
I am wondering if people have hints/ideas regarding pullup progression if one does not have practical means of utilizing the Grease the Groove method.

I have just very recently completed the Simple standard from Simple and Sinister, and mulling over what to do next...ideally I would love to keep some kettlebell work in what I do next but am considering options. Pullups have always intrigued me, but I have never been able to work seriously on a program being in the middle of other programs. I would love to bang out 5 someday. Female here, have never really seriously trained pullups (ie-exclusively)

As far as where I am at in regards to upper body strength, when at a playground about a month ago camping tested things out.... can do a 15sec flexed arm hang, and if I start with shoulders in the socket, a height that my toes touch the ground and bend my knees and bear a little weight on my toes (ie-not dead hang) with a small push from legs, can get eye level up to a bar but not over. Not truly "tactical". This is with a chinup grip...for overhand/pullup grip, forget it. I do realize there are some other things I can work on too, like hollow holds, etc.

Used to have a doorway pullup bar at one point, but do not want to go that route due to past accident with said device. I do not have a practical place in the main living area of my house nor the funds for a free standing bar and do not want to mess up my wall or ceiling in my main area either.

Basement it is, have been considering a joist mounted unit in an unfinished ceiling area. That being downstairs makes it not as practical to do grease the groove method, at least very frequently.

Anyone had any luck with things that are sessions a few times a week vs 1 rep many many times a day, or just incorporated into other programs or have program suggestions? Thanks.

For calisthenics in general, I’ve always progressed well simply with just two sets of a movement. My goal was not to blast through as fast as possible, but simple be consistent and progress in the long run.

An option would just be two sets of max-1 reps at the start of your session. An interesting variation would be @mprevost post in this section of doing one rep then hanging for ten seconds before the next one.

There are plenty of rep schemes available (fighter pull-ups, recon pull-ups, and a million others). With your level you may even want to start with just hanging from the bar with the proper grip until you can consistently do 2x 30-45sec, before adding in reps?

My wife and I developed a pullup program for females at the US Naval Academy, when the USMC started to mandate pullups for females. My wife was the test subject. At 51 she can do 16 dead hang pullups and reps with 50 extra pounds! Go to her page and request a copy. There is no charge. I don't want this to come off as a sales pitch for anything. We are not in this to sell anything. The program was very successful. We never had a female fail to get their first good pullup (and several more).

Suzanne Prevost

Last edited:
Pavel’s Fighter Pull Up program is really good. I did it using Chin Ups first, and afterward with Pull Ups. I also used an ab wheel, as it seems to mimic the Pull Up position to some extent.

part of this is outlook- when people start looking everywhere, it's not hard to find a few places to practice hangs or pullups. Lots of doorframes, ledges, closets, rails, etc. where you can sneak in a quick 30 secs or whatever here and there. There's a playground about .5 mi from me that always has a parking space on the street just about 25' from the bar...sometimes I just pull in that space, get out, zip over and back and it's not even a 2 min delay. Keep a sharp eye out and be creative!

just keep revisiting the bar as much as you can

i've had luck with doing pull ups and chin ups once or twice a week using the total repetition method.. for instance, doing as many sets as it takes to get to 10 pull ups total.. could be 10 negative reps, 10 flexed hangs, etc..

trying to avoid failure in any one set is usually best for me, then I can just keep on doing them..

chin ups/ pull ups are a great exercise that is definitely worth investing time in, even if hanging is all you can do for now

My wife and I developed a pullup program for females at the US Naval Academy, when the USMC started to mandate pullups for females. My wife was the test subject. At 51 she can do 16 dead hang pullups and reps with 50 extra pounds! Go to her page and request a copy. There is no charge. I don't want this to come off as a sales pitch for anything. We are not in this to sell anything. The program was very successful. We never had a female fail to get their first good pullup (and several more).

Pull-Ups for Women – Suzanne Prevost

Hi folks. Did not realize that when you sign up for the free pullup program you get a message saying that it will be available in July. It is ready to go but we are in a camper van in Big Sur right now. We will get it posted in a couple of days and I'll post a link here. Thanks.

Hi folks. Did not realize that when you sign up for the free pullup program you get a message saying that it will be available in July. It is ready to go but we are in a camper van in Big Sur right now. We will get it posted in a couple of days and I'll post a link here. Thanks.

Here is the pull-up program. This program is designed to get you from 0 to 3 pullups. Hope you all find it to be useful. Let me know if you have questions.

Attachments

• First_3_Pull-Ups_Program_2018_Oct.pdf
    701 KB · Views: 47
Here is the pull-up program. This program is designed to get you from 0 to 3 pullups. Hope you all find it to be useful. Let me know if you have questions.

Looks good!

I could probably buy one of those pullup bars that sit screwed into a cup into the sides of a door frame for the rows, is there an acceptable sub or different exercise for the lat pulldown?

I live a fair ways from a gym and would much prefer to do this at home if possible. Have a ceiling/rafter mounted pullup bar ordered and on it's way. I guess I could also get a TRX-like device and anchor it to that instead of the doorway bar for bodyweight rows as well. Other home equipment is a few small dumbells, exercise tubing, but basically kettlebells only ranging 8 kg to 32kg, double bells in 12 and 16kg size.

The lat pulldowns are not critical. Sub kettlebell rows or exercise tubing rows. You don't need a TRX. If you have a couple of tie down straps, you can cut two 6 inch peices of PVC pipe for handles.

Last edited:
Looks good!

I could probably buy one of those pullup bars that sit screwed into a cup into the sides of a door frame for the rows, is there an acceptable sub or different exercise for the lat pulldown?

I live a fair ways from a gym and would much prefer to do this at home if possible. Have a ceiling/rafter mounted pullup bar ordered and on it's way. I guess I could also get a TRX-like device and anchor it to that instead of the doorway bar for bodyweight rows as well. Other home equipment is a few small dumbells, exercise tubing, but basically kettlebells only ranging 8 kg to 32kg, double bells in 12 and 16kg size.

sounds like a good home gym! you won't regret getting the pull up bar. it's always there for a great workout

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom