all posts post new thread

Barbell Protyazhka - It's a Real Lift That's Still Used

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MikeTheBear

Level 6 Valued Member
I remember back when Pavel wrote his article on the Smolov squat routine he recommended doing a lift that was a popular warm up of Russian weightlifters called the "protyazhka" which Pavel translated as a "long pull." In PttP Professional Pavel described the lift as follows "A protyazhka is a snatch without any knee dip whatsoever." It's actually a muscle snatch without making contact with the body - a "one pull" muscle snatch if you will.

In Russian it's called протяжка рыв or protyazhka ryv.

Here is Aleksey Torokhtiy demonstrating the lift. He adds an overhead squat. Aleksey simply calls it a muscle snatch. He adds the lift to his programs not just as a warm up but as part of the main workout, which I found interesting.

This is a cool and fun lift to do. You will really feel this in your lower back but in a good way. Add the overhead squat to it and it becomes a conditioning drill.

I seem to recall Pavel also describing this lift as using a clean grip, rather than a snatch grip.

I've never practiced it, but I've always thought it was a great idea for athletes in other sports:
--Focus on explosive hip extension.
--Relatively low technical and mobility demand compared to other olympic lift variations, or even barbell squats.
--Relatively safe due to lighter weights (you have to go lighter because you have to launch the bar ballistically to lockout without dropping under the bar).
--The fact that you have to go lighter than other OL variations might be seen as a drawback, but I look at it as a feature. It puts the focus completely on accelerating the bar, without any technical "tricks" to catch the bar at a lower point, but you can go heavier than a hard style KB snatch.

@Steve W. I posted it for the exact reasons you mention. It's another tool in the toolbox. For those not yet ready to spend money on a heavier KB this lift could be an option. Use more of a hip-hinge technique and a closer/clean grip if that is more comfortable and have at it. The overhead squat is completely optional and not necessary to get the benefits of this lift.

@MikeTheBear and @Steve W. how do you think this lift compares with a power snatch? By power snatch I mean a snatch with no dip whatsoever. Based on the list of pros posted by Steve, it appears that a power snatch shares most of them.

@Oscar When I see the term "power snatch" I think of getting the bar to the hip, doing a second pull, and doing a slight squat under (about a quarter squat). This can get somewhat technical.

What you are thinking of is a muscle snatch. You get the bar to the hip, do a second pull, and then muscle up the weight with your arms the rest of the way with no squat under. Easier than a power snatch but you still need to get the bar in the correct position at the hip and do a proper second pull.

With the protyazhka, there is only one pull. It is easier than a power snatch because you don't need to get the bar in the correct position at the hip. It's almost an overhead anyhow type of lift. You also will not be able to use as much weight so it is safer.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom