all posts post new thread

Barbell A Case of Great Minds Thinking Alike

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

LoneRider

Level 6 Valued Member
To the minimalists of the barbell persuasion, I found this article written by Jim Wendler in July of this year titled: Making the Hard (Exercise) Choices.

In this article he addresses the concerns of a military man deploying overseas and attempting to make some sort of outdoor weight pit. The gentleman's concern is that his power rack, bar and weights are too heavy for the weight allowance and he asks how to work around that.

Jim's advice is to delete the power rack and sub in a lighter, simpler sort of squat rack. And that advice echoes a certain timeless classic, Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline. It certainly made me think that if I ever build a garage gym when I settle down somewhere I might go with the basics of a 8'x5' thick rubber mat, a bar and bumper plates, and a simple sort of squat rack for a backyard weight pit.

Anyhow, this is a classic case of great minds thinking alike I wanted to share with the forum.

I never needed more than a heavy kettlebell on a deployment to maintain 80%. A bar with bumpers would get me up to 95%, a rack would only add that last 5%. Pretty common that 80% of results come from 20% of the effort.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom