all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Looking for a Strength Training Routine While Recovering from Tennis Elbow

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

dnguyen411

Level 5 Valued Member
A few weeks ago, I was placing Christmas decorations outside by pushing plastic stakes into the ground. I don't remember what exactly happened, but I was pushing something into the ground then I started experiencing some minor elbow pain when I tightened my grip in my right hand. Flash forward to a day later doing my normal S&S routine and the pain was much worst after the workout. Based on online research, it looks like I have a case of tennis elbow.

I have a plan to do more cardio while the tennis elbow heals up but I would still like at least two days dedicated to strength training. I'm pretty sure kettlebell swings are out and anything that requires hard gripping. I don't remember experiencing too much pain during TGUs but I don't want to risk it. I'm pretty sure I would be okay with doing barbell squats.

What other exercises can I do that focus on multiple muscle groups without aggravating my tennis elbow?

Explore exercises that use:
* different grips (esp neutral)
* partial ROM (eg floor press instead of bench press, stop pull ups when eyes level with the bar etc)
* wrist straps for heavy pulling
* lower weights for higher reps

And stop and adjust the exercise immediately you feel any discomfort (ie never try and work through pain). The objective is to achieve a solid workout with no discomfort.

Last edited:
I recently did amonth of isometrics to work around a case of golfers elbow. The experience has me wanting to add it to my periodizing schedule on a semi-permanent basis.

Some massage with a spikey ball, icing, are making a big difference, as well as avoiding movements that stress it - heavy grip work.

As a someone who recovered from both golfer's and tennis elbow at the same time, I'd offer the following advice:
  • Go see a professional (I went to an ortho) to make sure there's not an underlying pathology or other acute injury.
  • After getting clearance, here are the changes I made:
    • Theraband Flexbar. They're super cheap and actually have clinical backing for their effectiveness and alleviating tennis elbow and helping to prevent future flare ups. I started with the red and moved up to the green. It focuses on eccentric strengthening of the forearm extensor muscles.
    • Cut out all cleans, presses and any other bent elbow exercises. Swings, TGUs and goblet squats at lighter weights seemed to actually help vs hurt, so perhaps take another look at your technique.
    • Self massage works can help as well to break up and adhesions that may have formed.
    • Rest and patience and even if it takes time, it's worth it. Mine was bad enough where I had to take some complete rest and then start back with really light weights at first. Whatever you do, don't get cortisone shots. There's been some research that even though it can help manage acute symptoms, it may slow down healing in the long run.
All the best and send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Cut out all cleans, presses and any other bent elbow exercises. Swings, TGUs and goblet squats at lighter weights seemed to actually help vs hurt, so perhaps take another look at your technique.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the exercises that caused my tennis elbow but it did aggravate it (especially swings).

The tennis elbow symptoms are light today. I only feel slight pain when griping and moving my elbow. I think for this week I'll do barbell squats. I'll see how my elbow and grip feel for the pressing and pulling exercises.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the exercises that caused my tennis elbow but it did aggravate it (especially swings).

The tennis elbow symptoms are light today. I only feel slight pain when griping and moving my elbow. I think for this week I'll do barbell squats. I'll see how my elbow and grip feel for the pressing and pulling exercises.
Glad to hear it's better, but I'm really surprised swings are irritating. That was the one exercise I could do that never hurt. Are you using a hook grip, what's your working weight compared to the load?

Theraband Flexbar. They're super cheap and actually have clinical backing for their effectiveness and alleviating tennis elbow and helping to prevent future flare ups.

+1 for the Flexbar. I have found it to be very helpful in managing my tennis elbow. Also, if you are not doing it already, I would recommend training the extensors in the hand as well. This provides a counter to all of the constant heavy gripping associated with kettlebell work.

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom