all posts post new thread

Barbell Sumo Dead Lift

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

mrdave100

Level 5 Valued Member
I recently switched to Sumo style and I was wondering if there are any GOOD videos demonstrating proper technique. I've seen several posted here in the forum in recent years for conventional, but not sumo. Thanks in advance!!

That video seems pretty decent and matches most of what is taught at SFL.

One thing he didn't mention on the grip description is that you don't have to either hook grip or mixed grip. These choices are only important a while down the road when the bar is heavy enough that grip becomes a limiter. In the beginning, just use a double overhand grip.

I'm not crazy about his cue of "use the lats to extend the back", but whatever.

I do REALLY like his distinction between finishing with hip extension vs. finishing with back extension. That's a very common issue with all types of deadlifts.

I have never spent much time with Sumo Deadlift, but I have been considering it.

How would one strart to experiment with Sumo Deadlift? My instinct would be first in a session Easy Strength style.

@Geoff Chafe ....I would always recommend starting with a light weight until you are satisfied that you have developed good form. Just askng for a groin pull from getting too heavy too fast with less than good form..

Carl in Dover

@Geoff Chafe ..I've done that, just like you described..warm upsets sumo and then change to heavy (for me) conventional.
Different muscles worked and learning a new skill keeps the mind sharp . I use a narrow modified sumo, feet not too wide.
I'm not doing sumo currently, doing some deficit work as additional DL training.

Put some discs on and give it a pull, and let us know what you think.

Carl in Dover

@Geoff Chafe you could start by going a bit wider for your warm-ups or back down sets or however you plan it. I hesitate to warm-up with just the sumo if the plan is to lift big conventional weights in the end, but I think it works to do both styles in the warm-up.

You don't have to touch the plates with your toes on the first try. You could start taking just a little bit wider stance every now and then, and like weekly going a toe width wider.

Myself, being as thick as I am, jumped straight into the deep end of the pool. I had horrible groin aches for about a month or so, and then they just quit altogether all of a sudden to never come back. Even after a long break, I can pull relatively big weights with my toes against the plates. It's a mystery to me how the mobility just doesn't go away. But of course, it may be that my earlier lack of mobility was a lack of strength and that strength stays there through the other exercises.

I agree with the general sentiment that the sumo is a more technical lift than the conventional. In that sense, it could be a good idea to try to practise it often in the beginning, maybe just as a general warm-up with very light weights in the beginning of most of your training sessions.

@Antti I like the idea of doing back off work with Sumo. Work up to a heavy 1-3 and do 70-80% x 3-5 x 3-5 Sumo. My hips would be plenty warm by that point. Practicing Sumo first could take some extra warmup before lifting. Probably some PGSQT and Cossiac Squats. Maybes some Frog Stretch.

I made a new Axel out of stainless steel 1 1/2” pipe with 48mm OD. I polished it with fine grit emery cloth and scotchbrite pads. I would put it next to any IronMind Apollons Axel in quality. I worked up to 300 x 3 x 3 Sumo Stance and double overhand.

@Carl in Dover With grip being the limiting factor it would keep my weight in a good practice range. I do some low volume grip most days. I will stick with Sumo Axel Deadlift for a bit to see how it feels.

I had my heels at the rings and felt slight pain in the anterior hip at lockout. Nothing in the groin though. The wide stance does feel unnatural though. I do like the idea of getting outside my Deadlift groove for some extra work.

Those squats and the stretch sound like a good idea, like using the axle you made. Your heavy 1-3 is a lot so 70-80% of it could be too much done cold if it's new. Better safe than sorry.

How wide is your conventional stance? I'd imagine there to be a difference to heels on the rings. But I've liked that width as well. It's easy to check it's the same from session to another.

I'm going to start training the sumo again myself now. I'll try to give it a couple of months or close to it, if it doesn't work out I'll have to switch to conventional before the next meet. But maybe I'll do well enough with the sumo so I can try it out in the competition.

I have never spent much time with Sumo Deadlift, but I have been considering it.

How would one strart to experiment with Sumo Deadlift? My instinct would be first in a session Easy Strength style.

Sumo can also be done with a narrow stance. It is worth trying it out. I didn't like the wide stance. I was introduced to the sumo narrow stance in the SFL user course and intend to adopt it. This is probably because I can deep squat with my elbows easily inside the knees in my goblet squat. It felt like carryover. Interestingly, in the SFL course, it is recommended that everyone start with sumo after competency in the goblet squat. It is recommended to do both as a beginner-intermediate at least. Sticking to the overhand grip as long as possible was recommended and if pulling a mixed grip then switch up the grip to prevent imbalances. My own view is to avoid a mixed grip except necessary when testing a PR. It seems to ask for developing imbalances and poor form.

Sumo can also be done with a narrow stance. It is worth trying it out. I didn't like the wide stance. I was introduced to the sumo narrow stance in the SFL user course and intend to adopt it. This is probably because I can deep squat with my elbows easily inside the knees in my goblet squat. It felt like carryover. Interestingly, in the SFL course, it is recommended that everyone start with sumo after competency in the goblet squat. It is recommended to do both as a beginner-intermediate at least. Sticking to the overhand grip as long as possible was recommended and if pulling a mixed grip then switch up the grip to prevent imbalances. My own view is to avoid a mixed grip except necessary when testing a PR. It seems to ask for developing imbalances and poor form.

I used to Deadlift Strongman style with a Squat stance and grip width fairly wide. Probably a stance SF would call Semi Sumo. My heaviest Deadlifting has been in this style.

I narrowed my stance quite a bit in recent years to a bit wider than hip width and with feet much less turned out. I am currently more interested in Sumo stance for more rounded development.

I use DOH, mixed, and hook grips so I get a good bit of balance there. I thought mixed grip adapted imbalances was a myth.

I am playing with hook grip for another go-round, and this time, it seems to be working for me. I'm up to a couple of triples at about 70% 1RM, and when I get up to 5's, I'll probably start to add some weight and go back to fewer reps.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom