all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double bell pointers

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

RobB

Level 3 Valued Member
Hi All,

I'm trundling my way towards working on Simple this spring. Currently I'm waiting for my grip and shoulder strength to get comfortable with 32Kg 1HS. In the meantime, I thought I might try swapping some of my 32Kg 2HS for some extra weight. I have 20 & 24Kg bells so they look promising for some switched paired sets. Are there any basic pointers for making the transition to double bell swings?

Cheers

Rob

Hi @RobB

Sounds like a good idea! Uneven double-bell swings are probably one of the rarer moves, but they make perfect sense and are definitely do-able. I've done them at times. In your case, you'll get the advantage of a heavy 2H swing and simultaneously the grip work of 24kg alternating sides. Double bell swings give you a tiny bit more stabilization challenge than 2H swings, especially with the weight uneven.

You'll probably have to take a slightly wider stance than you do for single bell swings. As far as holding the bells, at the top of the swing the handles will be horizontal and your thumbs will be next to each other, as they would be with a two-hand swing. At the backswing, most people recommend turning the thumbs to the back as it helps a little bit with clearance through your legs, but be careful not to collapse your chest in at the bottom of the swing -- keep it reaching for the wall in front of you. As for the weight increase, just get tight - hinge and plank.

Let us know how it goes.

Also keep track of your knees. Your kneecap should always point to the same direction as your big toe does. This is espevially important for all double bell moves.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom