all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Handle width / Grip strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

North

Level 6 Valued Member
I have three competition style bells and 16, 24, and 32 kg. I completed the simple standard last summer and then lost some ground with the arrival of our third child. I have since regained the simple standard.

Over the holidays I purchased a 36 kg fitness style bell (classic e-coat from metrixx). It’s an awesome bell. I have started to work this into my practice when I am feeling strong. However, I notice my grip starts to slip around six or seven swings in. It is somewhat better with chalk.

Perhaps I should have stuck to one style of bell. But here I am. Given my grip limitation how should I proceed with advancing S&S?

I have considered doing sets of five reps in place of 10 reps and doubling up the number of sets to get to 10.

+1 to @Anna C. Also train somewhere you can drop the bell. Otherwise you'll be thinking about that instead of the training itself.

When I had grip issues it really screwed up my technique. I ended up with sore shoulder blades, not sure why. So you can keep an eye on that as well.

Thank you for the suggestions. I really hadn’t accounted for how much impact handle with has on my swings.

I will continue to use chalk and with shorter sets until it feels routine. This seemed prudent way to increase strength.

Spring is coming and divots in the lawn are easier to fix than holes in the wall!

I do notice that as the grip slips my shoulder packing falls apart as well. Fortunately, I’ve had the sense to park the bell before any injuries.

Perhaps some suitcase carries for time and distance will acclimate my hands to this new handle.

I'm in the same position, my 40kg is really hard on my grip. Have added some farmers walks, up-side down presses (with a much lighter bell) and doing some hanging from a pull-up bar for a little variation.
I just tied up an old steel bar with rope and hung it from the ceiling out in the barn...

It's not the sexiest method, but probably the most effective method
Add more volume of lighter 1H swings.

keep chipping away at your 36kg swings, but up the intensity and volume of your 32kg swings to where you are whpping it around like a wet noodle.

You will just have to get used to the thcker handle. Thicker handles will wear your hand a little differently too, so use chalk judiciously and stay on top of your callouses. You will probably have callouses appear in new places on hands.

Good Luck!

Grip strength doesn't have to be the problem. Sweaty hands are. With your competition bells you probably are able to or close to fully close your fingers around the handle.

The comp bells sit firmly within the palm. With the 36 the handle frquently requires engagement of the fingers. As such have noticed some variation in my calluses as predicted.

I occasionally will do bottoms up TGU for some variation. This can be challenging with the grip especially when done v e r y s l o w l y.

Thanks for suggestions!

An update: followed the advice of @Anna C and @Shawn90 with sets of 6, then 7, and now 8 and added some chalk which was new for me.

This has worked in spite of only training S&S with 60, 70, or 80 swings and only 3 days per week over the past month I have gotten stronger!

Last August I tested the simple standard with the 32 and achieved it in 15:19 including 1 minute rest between swings and get ups.

Last night I retested an achieved this “feat” in just under 13 minutes. Not sore today and with sleep deprivation thanks to parenthood.

My training has been super sporadic from November through February thanks to a newborn and all that entails but is back on track.

Thanks, everyone!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom