all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Question on “Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2”

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Yurik

Level 6 Valued Member
Hello, I've been training with kettlebells for the last 4 years. It all begun when my first son was born en i had to cut back from kickboxing in order to maintain my social life as a fresh father. Now 4 years and 3 kids later things have changed drastically and i needed some structure in my kettlebell workouts. I was just doing "something" or nothing and learned all the moves from Pavel and Neupert's video's and reading their programs.

On -01-01-19, just after finishing a nightshift, i accomplished the Simple Goal from S&S. After that, followed the RoP with a 28kg for presses and a 20kg on snatches. After 12 weeks of RoP i felt i needed something different. With this article “Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2” i felt i found the key to give my workouts structure. I found great logic in following Simple Goal, RoP, Sinister Goal and the RotK (or TTK Complex). My question: I finished the RoP with the above weigths, but my ultimate goal would be the half bodyweight press with one arm. Is it ok now to follow S&S with the next weight or do i need to stick with RoP untill reaching the standards of half bodyweight press and 24Kg snatches? Or is it better to follow 12 weeks of TTK Complex and then return to RoP? A bit lost here. Many thanks from an enthusiast!

I think that the goals were supposed to be achieved in order.

You say that you have completed the Simple goal. To be clear, that is ten one hand swings every 30 seconds, switching hands each set for a total of 100 swings followed by one minute rest and 1 get-up every minute on the minute alternating sides for a total of ten get-ups. If you are male, that is to be done with a 32kg kettlebell.

The next goal is to achieve the goals from the Rite of Passage. Assuming you are male those are a half bodyweight press and 200 snatches in ten minutes with 24kg. It sounds like you have started towards that, but have not yet completed the goal. That is, your snatch is with the 20kg, which is less than 24kg, and you didn't specify if you tested your press 1RM. Since this goal isn't done yet, the later goals aren't applicable to you yet.

The introduction in the Return of the Kettlebell book, if I remember correctly, tells you to close the book if you haven't achieved the goals in the RoP. So you probably shouldn't try that one. The TTC is a little more vague about for whom it is appropriate, but if you are trying to follow the path from “Things Are Going So Well, Help Me Screw It Up, Part 2” then it probably isn't the right time for it either.

As I see it, you have a couple of options: stick to the plan and keep working towards the goals from the RoP or take a detour. I suspect that after completing the RoP with the 28kg and 20kg you are ready to run it with 32kg and 24kg but only you or your coach can really judge that. If you want to do something other than the RoP for a little while I don't blame you. Working on S&S for a few weeks would be a safe way to go. There are other options like achieving the "Solid" standard between Simple and Sinister using a 40kg.

My advice is: just take a month of detour from ROP. You can go back to SnS or learn double lift during that month. After one month, go back to ROP and finish what you start.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum, @Yurik.

-S-
Hey Steve,

Im a big fan of the SF community but my English is a bit wonky sometimes (from Holland). When the whole world was on the internet somewhere in 92' i was still sleeping under a rock.

Tx all for welcome and answering. I will try to define my priorities for you.

You will help us significantly if you clearly define your priorities

Hey Mark, My first priority would be pressing a 48kg with one hand. Indeed, i never tried my 1 RM, just followed the RoP and figured i had to give the 28kg a try because i felt very strong after finishing the Simple goal (32 press was just a bit to much at start). My goals in training have changed over the years. I have no ambition for fat loss. I started my kickboxing matches at 68 kg and was always overtrained. Now i am 92 kg and finally, allmost in my 40's packing some shoulder muscle.
I would be perfectly happy with "just being strong". In my eyes someone pressing that 48 is strong, but i saw some of you guys where pressing double 32's. Quite impressive.
So if i could press that 48, after that the sinister goal would be my 2nd priority. I figured after pressing half bodyweight the Sinister goal would be easier.
Reaching the RotK standards is my final goal. Tx in advance!

great so now that we know point B, let us map out the route.

where are you at currently?

Not to put words in @Mark Limbaga 's mouth, but a rep max is often at least as informative as a 1RM. That is, you could test how many reps you can do with a kettlebell with which you can get more than one rep. @Fabio Zonin gives some ranges for a 2RM, 3RM, and 5RM in the article How to Intelligently Define, Determine, and Test Your 1RM | StrongFirst With that in mind, a kettlebell that you believe you can press 2, 3, or 5 times is a good one to choose. The 32kg or the 36kg might be appropriate for you to test since you did the RoP with the 28kg.

great so now that we know point B, let us map out the route.

where are you at currently?
32Kg on ladders (now at 1-3 ladders and pull ups), Snatch practice 24kg, Swing and Get-ups at 40 kg (On variety day, practicing doing 10 swings emom and after that get-ups).

Not to put words in @Mark Limbaga 's mouth, but a rep max is often at least as informative as a 1RM. That is, you could test how many reps you can do with a kettlebell with which you can get more than one rep. @Fabio Zonin gives some ranges for a 2RM, 3RM, and 5RM in the article How to Intelligently Define, Determine, and Test Your 1RM | StrongFirst With that in mind, a kettlebell that you believe you can press 2, 3, or 5 times is a good one to choose. The 32kg or the 36kg might be appropriate for you to test since you did the RoP with the 28kg.
Tx 4 the advice. I will definitely read that article!

So from my last post 2 weeks ago, just progressing following S&S with the 40 kg. All i can say is "wow!"
A real shock to my system. Just when i thought i would own swings and get-ups this 40 is giving me a hell of a workout, as if i'm doing Clean and Jerk ladders with double 20's.

Thanks all for all the reply's! I will work a few months with my 40, then get back and let you know how im doing!
"Spasiba".

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom