all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Optimal breathing timing for slow TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

4-bit

Level 5 Valued Member
I've read many articles and posts about the importance of breathing when performing the TGU. I'm currently working hard to level up my technique/mobility and truly "own" the individual movements, so I usually do the movements quite slowly with a weight that I can control, and I take the 5 second pause at each stance.

What breathing timing would you recommend in this case? I.e. at what points would you inhale/exhale? Would you do any active breathing in-between two stances etc?

Any input and details would be appreciated. :)

I don't think there's a right answer here, but with a slow get-up like you describe with 5 second pauses, I like to inhale while in the position and exhale while moving to the next position. If that's not enough air and you feel the urge to breathe more, try to deepen the breath (draw the air in deep with the diaphragm, and exhale more completely), and/or time your movements to the breath, and work towards slower breathing and movement. Let me know what you think...

@Anna C your referring to exhaling more completely. Is it actually safe to go into full/deep exhale while under load in the TGU or any other lift? I thought it should be avoided for back safety?

@4-bit I would say you need to keep your breath steady and under control, quite shallow and focus on maintaining the abs engagement throughout the whole set. Inhale/ exhale moments might be subjective. Keep it natural

@Anna C your referring to exhaling more completely. Is it actually safe to go into full/deep exhale while under load in the TGU or any other lift? I thought it should be avoided for back safety?

I wouldn't do it if it was a heavy TGU, but if it was a heavy TGU, I wouldn't be pausing for 5 seconds at each position :)

So yes in that version you describe (lighter and with pauses), I think it's safe. But you don't have to completely exhale. And keep your abs and other core muscles engaged.

@4-bit I would say you need to keep your breath steady and under control, quite shallow and focus on maintaining the abs engagement throughout the whole set. Inhale/ exhale moments might be subjective. Keep it natural

This version sounds fine, too.

@4-bit, the concept we teach we call "breathing behind the shield." The idea is that you can't always predict your breathing when doing something that requires strength over time, so you learn to breath without giving up your tightness. Personally, I wouldn't think it through more than that - probably hold your breath when moving would be best, and catch your breath while in a support position.

-S-

Not sure if this is recommended or not, but for going slow, I really like taking 3 controlled breaths at each position on the way up. Move on the exhale of the 3rd breath. Probably pretty close to or a little longer than your 5 second holds. Breathing behind the shield, as Steve says.

Breath 3 times at the top, then head on down with no restrictions relative to breathing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom