all posts post new thread

Bodyweight "Running is the fastest way to get in shape"

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

@Kozushi
"Fastest", I do not know. Easiest maybe.

In my humble opinion, running and physical activities (overall) are more a "lifestyle" than anything else. If you run on an easy pace 5k a day, but still eat plenty of sodas, junk food and stuff, I do not think this will work.

Running remain excellent to maintain an acceptable level of cardio vascular endurance, provided lifestyle is balanced.

Kind regards,

Pet'

To explain myself, this is a quote from my judo coach, who knows what he's talking about. Also, when I want to trim my body down, to make myself visibly thinner, I run, and it works. It's not about burning fat, I don't think, but about tightening up muscles all through the body, including the neck and face even. Also, I notice, besides the obvious cardio benefits (which I think are mostly running-specific mind you since I find little cross over to much of judo or kettlebells) that I develop power and speed for running, jumping, skipping etc. In other words I think it's also a power and speed exercise, and worth doing for this reason. And, power and speed based in the legs transfers to other kinds of movements to some extent. In any case, I don't think it's just "cardio", and in a much more pronounced way of course that I don't think walking is just "cardio" - it is also a strength building or maintaining activity to a certain decent, moderate level.

I think running in many instances might be the fastest way of getting in shape, provided you are average lean or leaner. However I do think running can have the potential to hurt your knees, ESPECIALLY if you are a bit on the larger side and have bad technique. There is a joke about Cooper, the man who invented Cooper´s test. They call him: "The man who wrecked the knees of America."

I think kettlebell swings are the fastest, safest and easiest way of getting in shape. It is just one exercise. It does not hurt your knees. You get a strong back, strong glutes, quite strong abs, strong grip, better conditioning AND it does not take a whole lot of practice to do it averagely well.

Running doesn't hurt your knees. How YOU run hurts your knees. Same thing has been said about the squat. If you get off your heels and onto your mid/forefoot, your knees will thank you for it.

The fastest way to get in shape is to find an exercise that will train what you want trained and that you can stick with over a period of months. Run, swing, bike, weight training...all will get you "in shape", but running and biking won't make you all that strong.

Yep... it's how you run that counts.

As far as 'getting into shape'...

Getting into shape for what?
Getting strong? Strong for what?

It's all contextual and goal dependent....
Sure, but I'm talking speed of conditioning. It just seems that you engage more of yourself, for longer with running than most other things, and anyone can do it. The quote isn't that it's the best way to get in shape, just the fastest.

I guess "in shape" means to an acceptable level of athletic functionality and also in terms of appearance - thinner, "fitter".

My coach is a several times Olympic coach and national team coach for a few different countries. In other words I give credence to the quote based on life experience.

Relevant points:

"Medically speaking, it is far healthier to have a robust cardiovascular system and carry a minimal amount of visceral body fat than it is to have the strength-endurance required to perform extended moving planks and trunk flexes (push ups and sit ups)"

"The 1.5 mile run is a test of your aerobic fitness and a very strong indicator of your overall health. Covering one and one-half miles in the allotted time is not (or, should not be) the goal. Even when meeting this standard, if it means that you need to take a few days off from work to recover from the effort, then you are not “fit”. However, having the capacity to repeat the run test with little need for recovery is the goal of running training. Think about that."

"no other cardiovascular (CV) training carries over well to running.What this means is that to run well AND WITHOUT INJURY, you actually have to run. No amount of spin cycle, elliptical, treadmill running, swimming, bootcamp, or any other CV work is effective at improving injury-free running."

This is key: "The absolute minimum frequency that you should train to improve your aerobic capacity (and thus, the run) is 3 sessions per week lasting 45-60 min each… this is the absolute minimum."

Sure, but I'm talking speed of conditioning. It just seems that you engage more of yourself, for longer with running than most other things, and anyone can do it. The quote isn't that it's the best way to get in shape, just the fastest.

I guess "in shape" means to an acceptable level of athletic functionality and also in terms of appearance - thinner, "fitter".

My coach is a several times Olympic coach and national team coach for a few different countries. In other words I give credence to the quote based on life experience.
5 decades of running, competitive cycling, serious alpine climbing, etc... I base my perspective on relevant life experience also...
Just sayin'

I've done a fair bit of running, ranging from half marathons, long distance obstacle runs, and general conditioning runs and from my personal experience indoor rowing tops running for general fitness. It's way less impactful and a much faster method to get "fit".
What about the kettlebell swings?

5 decades of running, competitive cycling, serious alpine climbing, etc... I base my perspective on relevant life experience also...
Just sayin'
Didn't catch your perspective though. What is your perspective? You'd be someone who would know a lot better than I would.

I guess my judo coach's perspective interests me since he is applying running to the general concept of "getting in shape" and he is probably thinking of getting in shape "for judo" also, which is interesting since judo is not at all the same thing as running.

But you specialize in endurance distance activities (me, no). Is running "the fastest way to get in shape" in your mind, or is something else, or...?

What about the kettlebell swings?

I do lots of those as well! ;) Jokes aside, KB swings are fantastic, and done the hardstyle-way will bestow a great foundation of conditioning and strength. We all know and agree that there are the WTH effects that come with this practice. For engine building however, I think indoor rowing will get you there faster if you implement the right protocols of course. Once again, it depends on what your definition is of getting fit, and the goals surrounding that.

I've been having a reoccurring dream in which I started a KB gym called 'Bells-n-Ergs. I'm a firm believer that with just those two pieces of equipment you can sculpt an incredible strong-as-hell person with a engine to match.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom