all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S with Original Strength Resets

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Nacho

Level 6 Valued Member
OS Resets are mentioned on this awesome forum quite often, so I bought and read the book. Seems quite interesting so I will start doing them daily and of course keep doing S&S as well. Would you recommend doing the resets before or after S&S session, in the morning, evening, throughout the day... or does it really matter? Would you highlight any of the reset movements as especially good spice for S&S?

Whatever floats your boat :)

Get some experience with the resets and then experiment. I will usually do some rocking and adductor rocking before my goblet squats to reset my hips. And some standing cross crawls between sets of swings. Probably some rolling before or after getups - helps with thorastic and shoulder mobility and relieves my back. And some rocking and head nods as a cool down. Sometimes some shin box rolling (?) between 9090 stretches.

I guess it depends on your needs and preferences.

Trust your instincts and be mindful of how you feel and what results you get.

Last edited:
Would you recommend doing the resets before or after S&S session, in the morning, evening, throughout the day... or does it really matter?

I found that doing the resets first thing in the morning was very refreshing and helped prepare mentally for the day. I replaced the "Roll around on the floor" portion of the resets with unweighted arm bars to practice rolling from side to side and I replaced the "Practice moving from the ground to standing" portion with naked getups.

Resets are amazing and can be done any time, preferably often.

I do them throughout the day every day. Morning and before bed. Before during and after workouts. At work, in the shower, watching tv, while reading.

There are hundreds of variations. Just pick some and experiment. I often watch a random YouTube video from Tim Anderson and just do whatever he does in that video to try something new

Standard two minutes of breathing, nods, rocking, rolling, crawling does WONDERS. Massively improved my posture

Edit: I didn't even notice I typed this message from the TV watching position. It's become that normal for me. Ha!

Thanks for answers so far.

One more thing.
How much better/faster results can one expect if OS session is done 3 x 10mins a day instead of 1 x 10mins a day... ? I suppose its hard to overtrain the beginner resets but does it help to do more?

As long as it feels good and it nourishes you it is better to do more :)

However, you can even take it too far with resets, for example with commando rocking or crawling. But you can of course always back off if you need to.

Don't be too aggressive with it. Trust the design and explore the movements! It is about feeling good and nourishing your body and nervous system. The results will follow along in their own pace.

OS Resets are mentioned on this awesome forum quite often, so I bought and read the book. Seems quite interesting so I will start doing them daily and of course keep doing S&S as well. Would you recommend doing the resets before or after S&S session, in the morning, evening, throughout the day... or does it really matter? Would you highlight any of the reset movements as especially good spice for S&S?

Yes to all.

Thanks for answers so far.

One more thing.
How much better/faster results can one expect if OS session is done 3 x 10mins a day instead of 1 x 10mins a day... ? I suppose its hard to overtrain the beginner resets but does it help to do more?

only time will tell.. seek the minimal effective dose and enjoy the process

OS to warmup and cool down

You mean as a warmup before S&S warmup, or by replacing it? I suppose you could even replace it by choosing proper OS movements? I was travelling last week and I had only one kettlebell with me, the one that I swing and do get ups with. Its bit too heavy for prying goblet squats (or getting back up 3x5 times is a bit much) and especially for halos, so I needed to improvise a bit with my warm up. I did unweighted prying squats, hip bridges and some shoulder mobility work with a broomstick and I had very good S&S sessions. Therefore I would actually like the idea of a ”kettlebell free” warmup, because I would only need one kettlebell for my training session.

@Nacho I think this would work, especially for travelling. Segmental Rolling and Elevated Rolling could replace Halos. Rocking and Adductor Rocking could replace Goblet Squats. Enter some Hip Bridges and either BW squats (like Hindu Squats) or Elevated Rocking (knees off the floor) and you should be good to go.

In a lot of programs, for example from Hector G. or Aleks Salkin, you go straight to Swings and GUs. In one program Hec has you do 2 of your 5 GUs as a warmup for your swings.

Another variation, actually in line with OS resets, would be to use warm up moves from Enter the Kettlebell:
"Shoulder Pump" (switching between downward dog and cobra poses) and Face the Wall Squats. I often do "Door Knob" squats or Hindu Squats in my warmups, when I want to treat my knees to some full ROM movement.

You mean as a warmup before S&S warmup, or by replacing it? I suppose you could even replace it by choosing proper OS movements? I was travelling last week and I had only one kettlebell with me, the one that I swing and do get ups with. Its bit too heavy for prying goblet squats (or getting back up 3x5 times is a bit much) and especially for halos, so I needed to improvise a bit with my warm up. I did unweighted prying squats, hip bridges and some shoulder mobility work with a broomstick and I had very good S&S sessions. Therefore I would actually like the idea of a ”kettlebell free” warmup, because I would only need one kettlebell for my training session.

As an add in or as a substitute depending on your needs

I use OS Resets as warmups, or if I am beat up after a few tough BJJ sessions, I might even just do OS Resets as the workout.

I wouldn't worry too much about how long it takes - usually 7-8 mins of this is plenty if you are using it as a warmup.

@Nacho I think this would work, especially for travelling. Segmental Rolling and Elevated Rolling could replace Halos. Rocking and Adductor Rocking could replace Goblet Squats. Enter some Hip Bridges and either BW squats (like Hindu Squats) or Elevated Rocking (knees off the floor) and you should be good to go.

I think I will give it a try replacing S&S warmup and see how it goes. I can always go back if it doesn´t feel right. I always used goblet squats mainly for mobility, halos havent really done anything for me, or at least thats how I feel. Hip thrusts I will keep on doing. Maybe I could do OS resets, SF hip bridges and then one set of goblet squats with swing weight as a warmup. I just feel that OS resets + full S&S warmup is a bit much of warmup. After all, someone once said: ”keep it short, sissy,”

I need to mention, that for as long as I can remember (20+ years), I couldn´t reach my right arm very high behind my back, as with left I could always reach my scapula. I have been doing resets now for only 3-4 days and while rolling I noticed some (good) popping in my right shoulder. Today I scratched my back or something realized I could go almost as high as with my left arm. I had never really tried to address the lack of mobility with my right shoulder because it never bothered anything, but this is quite amazing!

Ok so I have played with resets every day now for only a week and I have noticed benefits especially from diaphragmatic breathing and segmental rolling.

I had a couple of days off from s&s. Today as I started my ”as written” s&s session and got down into goblet squat, I was amazed how free my hips were as I started prying. Prying actually felt very unnesessary, which is far from normal. Also sf hip bridges felt easy.

If I do my resets every day, maybe I could and should leave the prying out of goblet squat and do it more as a strenght movement. (Matching the weight to swing weight.) I feel very good about this! We’ll see how it goes.

Ok so I have played with resets every day now for only a week and I have noticed benefits especially from diaphragmatic breathing and segmental rolling.

I had a couple of days off from s&s. Today as I started my ”as written” s&s session and got down into goblet squat, I was amazed how free my hips were as I started prying. Prying actually felt very unnesessary, which is far from normal. Also sf hip bridges felt easy.

If I do my resets every day, maybe I could and should leave the prying out of goblet squat and do it more as a strenght movement. (Matching the weight to swing weight.) I feel very good about this! We’ll see how it goes.
Sounds great! I always like it when people report results, so thanks for sharing :)

A question

Crawling (especially advanced variations) does offer some antirotational benefits, doesn`t it?
So if a person does crawls, would a heavier two arm swing & max power two arm swing (kb 30% of bodyweight) fit quite well to the picture, instead of just doing one hand swings?

A question

Crawling (especially advanced variations) does offer some antirotational benefits, doesn`t it?
So if a person does crawls, would a heavier two arm swing & max power two arm swing (kb 30% of bodyweight) fit quite well to the picture, instead of just doing one hand swings?
IMO, crawling should not have any bearing on the type of swings you choose to do.

IMO, crawling should not have any bearing on the type of swings you choose to do.

OK, thats good because I enjoy 1 hand swings. :)

Out of curiosity, yesterday I tried the "simple strength routine" from OS resets reload book.
(Reset, 10 mins of crawling, 10 mins of front loaded carries 10 yds at time, Reset)
New to crawling, (well its been awhile) I chose to baby crawl. It was fun! I was able to do whole 10 mins no problem.
For carries I picked 18kg kettlebell. Last couple of minutes I really felt my back muscles firing to keep a good posture.
After the session I felt just awesome.

S&S 3-4 times a week, this OS routine twice a week and resets every day might make a good program to stick with for years, maybe lifetime... ?

Would you recommend doing the resets before or after S&S session, in the morning, evening, throughout the day... or does it really matter?

For me personally, I do the resets on my rest days. I just do 10 minutes of crawling, and find that my shoulders, back and hips feel great. Crawling is also challenging, in a different way, so I appreciate the stimulation. I use it as a way to stay loose.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom