all posts post new thread

Kettlebell S&S over 50

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike Silsby

Level 3 Valued Member
After a short break from S&S, I’m back at it and ready to finish Sinister. Any thoughts on frequency? S&S calls for near daily training, but after reading Q&D, it seems like more frequent rest days is better for testosterone levels? Thoughts? What are the rest of the over 50’s doing?

3xs per week with a 40kg. But also doing Bent Press, Snatches, Standing Ab-Roller and GTG weighted pull-ups daily.
At 58, recuperation is an issue. I tried 4xs per week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) but was dust by the Friday session.
Making good and steady gains with the 3xs.

After a short break from S&S, I’m back at it and ready to finish Sinister. Any thoughts on frequency? S&S calls for near daily training, but after reading Q&D, it seems like more frequent rest days is better for testosterone levels? Thoughts? What are the rest of the over 50’s doing?

In the past I had most progress with a frequency of 4x per week. And I am probably half your age :p

Testosterone comes with high intensity (as far as i know) And daily training requires a medium/light intensity, unless you do really low volume (6/10 reps daily)

If you want and feel that 3x per week works best for you, do it.

I want to add....if you just have to follow the book and go for 5-7 workouts per week....
I'd alternate heavy and lighter. Go heavy 3xs per week and drop 2 KB sizes for the other.
Overtraining is not only a pain, but far, far too common.

I want to add....if you just have to follow the book and go for 5-7 workouts per week....
I'd alternate heavy and lighter. Go heavy 3xs per week and drop 2 KB sizes for the other.
Overtraining is not only a pain, but far, far too common.

This is interesting, I'm curious if I need something like this. I sometimes notice some strain in my shoulders/traps if I go daily with my normal weights.

When you say 2 sizes lighter, I'm assuming you mean 2x4k? So like 32k on the heavy days, 24k on the light days?

What would you recommend for working up to a heavier weight? I'm currently working from 20k to 24k. I can do all 24k getups in 10 mins, but when I did the 100 swings with 24k 2 days in a row, I was really feeling it and felt like I wasn't able to keep up. This is was convinced me to drop back and try to work in the 24k 1 set at a time, ~5x sessions before adding another. I guess it may just take some experimentation on my part.

I started S&S 5 years ago, doing it by the book 5x a week. As weight increased I felt that my body responded better when I took a 1 week break every 6 weeks. Now I'm working towards owning the 32kg at a body weight of 65kg and over 50. I've had to slow down to 3 times a week to allow for recovery. I've been alternating TGU and Swing days, and also throwing a die to randomize the number of reps. I take 1 week breaks here and there as needed. It's going slow but I'm still making progress and not feeling worn out.

I hope it helps.

@fnds - I’m doing the same with a dice and splitting the lifts and it’s great! Allows me daily practice and breaks up the monotony. After warming up I’m usually done in under 20 minutes and I’m able to focus on just one lift.

This is interesting, I'm curious if I need something like this. I sometimes notice some strain in my shoulders/traps if I go daily with my normal weights.

When you say 2 sizes lighter, I'm assuming you mean 2x4k? So like 32k on the heavy days, 24k on the light days?

What would you recommend for working up to a heavier weight? I'm currently working from 20k to 24k. I can do all 24k getups in 10 mins, but when I did the 100 swings with 24k 2 days in a row, I was really feeling it and felt like I wasn't able to keep up. This is was convinced me to drop back and try to work in the 24k 1 set at a time, ~5x sessions before adding another. I guess it may just take some experimentation on my part.

S&S By the book does basically answer this question.
The book tells you to have 3 bells, 16,24 and 32. When you feel like you need a lighter day, its obviously 8kg lighter and not 4kg.
Simple. Keep it that way. :)

Wave the training. If you feel good do more. If you are OK do medium. If you feel tired, do less. If you are fried from a hard day at work or whatever take a day off.

Everytime I try to follow a strict plan, something gets in the way. This winter I carefully planned a peak for a 1RM max deadlift day for the last day of my gym membership and I suddenly had to take care of my kid.

I would just listen to your body and adjust to what life cooks up for ya but don't lose momentum by breaks of more than a couple days.

I am doing a grease the groove pushup plan right now. I just wave the volume and reps according to my workweek.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom