all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Pros & Cons of a C&P + 1/2 TGU instead of full TGU

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Scottie888

Level 1 Valued Member
Hey guys, just a brief prefix - I've been training mostly S&S closing in on 2.5yrs starting with a 24kg to a 40kg now so I've some experience in the Dao of KBs ie. truly owning a weight instead of always chasing bigger (&bigger) weights with normal free weights. In light of this Dao, I've encounter numerous WTF/wow moments but more importantly, my general overall physical health has made tremendous improvements esp. in the lower back.

Back to the topic, in the course of KB discovery, I've found that I really really like C&P alot more than a TGU but I also see the benefits of grinding slow thru multiple planes as only a TGU can provide. Sure I can incorporate a C&P into the routine but I love the efficiency of Pavel's S&S & the little time it takes. Besides, I've already incorporated a set/s of 15x pseudo planche pushups, 7-8x chin ups (warm up) & a 4-6x windmills (cooldown) so I really don't want to keep adding more & more to my rountine.

So now besides the requisite 100x swings (alternating 2 & 1 arm), I now do a C&P (with a slight push assist on the bulldog) up & a neg TGU down. Besides lesser time under tension, is there any cons in doing it this way? or should the advise be do it the traditional S&S way? Thanks in advance

You can certainly keep doing what you’re doing.
You might consider S&S twice a week and a press program on other days.

-S-

Well, you are way ahead of me so take my ideas with a grain of salt.

If you like windmills and presses, do you happen to like bent presses, too? If so you might want to contact @Pavel Macek for his Royal Simple and Sinister (RSAS) program (snatch and bent press).

Other than that I would imagine that alternating "S&S by the book" with "Sorta S&S" (maybe C&P ladders + 2H swings) would suit you well.

And in a way your current program sounds like an Easy Strength plan with a focus on the pull and carry/press (whatever TGU is). I like the way Dan John has outlined it for KBs here on the forum: KB "Even Easier Strength"

Another idea is to do S&S by the book, and add some grease the groove presses when you can.

You can certainly keep doing what you’re doing.
You might consider S&S twice a week and a press program on other days.

-S-
Thanks Steve, I'll certainly think about other programs but I really like the efficiency of S&S. 20mins (30 with warmup/cooldowns) & I'm outta there. Nothing like it!!!

@Bauer, just read the links u included & it would seem that by chance, I'm very close to the "even easier strength" with all the pulls & gobsquats that I throw in. Thanks for the read.

@Oscar, coincidentally I discovered Pavel via his GTG program. In an effort to rest up my sore joints, I started doing GTG pushups at work reaching way over 1000 daily. It was fun but I found I needed more after a while which was when I pickup up S&S. While I could easily do GTG C&P's, there's really nothing like a C&P on a challenging KB (same with TGUs). It gives the body a very satisfying jolt! lols

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom