all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Easy Strength Aerobics

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Alan Mackey

Level 7 Valued Member
I'm toying with the idea of using a Strength Aerobics type of training on an almost daily basis (PttP/Easy Strength style). But I'm not sure about how long I should go or how many reps I should do.

I mean, I've done thirty-plus minutes of double C&Ps and squats at the top of each minute, two, maybe three times a week, waving the intensity (how long I was at it). And it all adds up pretty quickly.

I'm having trouble discerning the "right" amount of work I should aim for when running Strength Aerobics on a daily basis. Maybe something between five and fifteen minutes, waving randomly the session's duration?

Hello,

@Alan Mackey
I think you'll find here all the answers you are looking for:
Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst

I only used the bodyweight version of this though. It worked extremely well, both in terms of strength and conditioning. Recovery was also very good because this is not taxing at all. It gives some kind of "real world" strength. 20 minutes of this training seems to be the right spot between recovery and S&C gains.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Alan Mackey
I think you'll find here all the answers you are looking for:
Strength Aerobics: A Powerful Alternative to HIIT | StrongFirst

I only used the bodyweight version of this though. It worked extremely well, both in terms of strength and conditioning. Recovery was also very good because this is not taxing at all. It gives some kind of "real world" strength. 20 minutes of this training seems to be the right spot between recovery and S&C gains.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi pet,

When doing the bodyweight strength aerobics, do You follow the same exercises and ladders as recommended in the article?

Since starting The simple strength in difficult times program, I’ve been adding a style of strength aerobics to my variety days- OAPU, single arm inverted row and single leg deadlift in a 1-2-3-4-5 ladder, enjoying it but wandering if I’m missing out on something by not following the exact exercises and ladders stated. The reason for choosing the exercises I’m doing is to provide rest for the muscles used in the simple strength for difficult times program, and to add some extra movements to my overall program. To get some progressive overload I’ve been adding weight to a weighted vest each week.
Cheers
Gorg

Hello,

When doing the bodyweight strength aerobics, do You follow the same exercises and ladders as recommended in the article?
I do another pull up routine, usually, before the pistols and push ups. Indeed, when I go for this kind of "circuits" / or escalating density, I noticed that I reap more benefits when I do exercise by pair. Indeed, there is too much rest when I do exercise three by three:
push up -> pull up -> squat : there is too much time between two squats (regardless I do these moves with singles / doubles / ladders)

but wandering if I’m missing out on something by not following the exact exercises and ladders stated
Ladders are a wonderful tool:
- they incorporate a warm up (usually the first rungs)
- using the same weight, you get an increase of the intensity because you generate a slight fatigue
- once you finish the first ladder, you get some rest while starting the next one
- you get plenty of volume in a minimal amount of time (so this is ideal for complex moves to drill the technique and working the CNS)
- great for gaining strength and some hypertrophy as well (due to the "moderately heavy" (usually around the 5RM) and the significant volume)
- recovery is super fast

I do not use the Simple Strength for Difficult Time so I unfortunately I do not know how taxing he is. I know for instance that S&S pairs well with the Strength Aerobics.

In general, a "go-to" for aerobic conditioning, while performing a strength routine is LSD running, or swimming or cycling or even walking, on alternate days (assuming the strength routine is 3x a week).

Kind regards,

Pet'

I pretty much have run strength aerobics 2x's a week and rucking or MAF cardio on the rower 2x's a week since quarantine (currently doing A+A swings instead)... I took a 3 week break and ran a more specific program from Hec G in that 3 week window...

The great thing about strength aerobics is you can still get some strength work in at the same time and not feel trashed...

I usually set a certain number of sets I'm doing and then let my HR determine the recovery period. I usually never get my HR over the top end of my MAF number (156bpm) and I then let my HR recover to about 70% (128bpm) before going again.

The load I use is usually around a 5-7 rep max on the weakest lift, the article calls for 10rm but through many sessions with that load (10rm) I can tell you it's not heavy enough unless you're using just regular presses. That's why I tend to have a more ballistic pressing movement (jerks, long push presses etc)

As for reps I base that on how many movements I'm doing. The more movements the less reps. I would never go over 3 reps though in any movement. I also would recommend that you use chains not complexes as the main source... complexes tend to generate too much local fatigue in the muscles

Combinations I've used are:
Snatch->press->f.squat
Swing->cleans->long push press
Snatch->jerk->f.squat->dips (bwt)
Swing->high pull->snatch->push press (my favorite)
Swing->clean->f.squat->push ups (double bells)
Clean->f.squat->press->chin up

I've done roughly 40ish sessions since march... so this is just my own experience with it... also follow brett jones blog and Instagram, he has really developed it nicely

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200721-155115_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200721-155115_Chrome.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 84
I pretty much have run strength aerobics 2x's a week and rucking or MAF cardio on the rower 2x's a week since quarantine (currently doing A+A swings instead)... I took a 3 week break and ran a more specific program from Hec G in that 3 week window...

The great thing about strength aerobics is you can still get some strength work in at the same time and not feel trashed...

I usually set a certain number of sets I'm doing and then let my HR determine the recovery period. I usually never get my HR over the top end of my MAF number (156bpm) and I then let my HR recover to about 70% (128bpm) before going again.

The load I use is usually around a 5-7 rep max on the weakest lift, the article calls for 10rm but through many sessions with that load (10rm) I can tell you it's not heavy enough unless you're using just regular presses. That's why I tend to have a more ballistic pressing movement (jerks, long push presses etc)

As for reps I base that on how many movements I'm doing. The more movements the less reps. I would never go over 3 reps though in any movement. I also would recommend that you use chains not complexes as the main source... complexes tend to generate too much local fatigue in the muscles

Combinations I've used are:
Snatch->press->f.squat
Swing->cleans->long push press
Snatch->jerk->f.squat->dips (bwt)
Swing->high pull->snatch->push press (my favorite)
Swing->clean->f.squat->push ups (double bells)
Clean->f.squat->press->chin up

I've done roughly 40ish sessions since march... so this is just my own experience with it... also follow brett jones blog and Instagram, he has really developed it nicely

Link to the blog please?

Link to the blog please?

Here is Brett's log... I've combed over about 8 pages of this... his newer stuff is videoed on Instagram...

I've tried to keep a log on here and I always forget to update it... I'm old school and just use a spiral

I usually select 2 combinations and stick with those for 2 weeks then rotate (same but different)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom