all posts post new thread

Kettlebell TGU DOUBT

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Eyetic

Level 6 Valued Member
Good morning,

I'm starting out the S&S program with the 16kgs KB, my main issue is that I feel great with the 1h 16 kgs swings but I'm not able to do the TGU with the same KB due to two main reasons:

Old injury on right shoulder still in healing process and rehab.
New injury on the right wrist due to a recent down the stairs fall....that got my shoulder worse also!

Anyway I'm doing the TGU with a 5kgs dumbbell, what do you think about this?

Eyetic
Are you working with a Physical Therapist on your shoulder rehab and wrist treatments?
Nothing wrong with avoiding the GU for now and adding the first two steps in as your rehab allows.

Yep I did both MRI / xray on the shoulder a just Xray on wrist.

Shoulder got two ligaments tears (supraspinatus and subscapularis) and wrist didn't have any fractures so should heal normally.

Started with therapy for the shoulder one year ago, did for six months, now I do day to day excercises and one visit a month for the physio.

It's fine - carry on.

-S-

Definitely.

Build on that and take your time. Do bottom up presses and consider bottom up tgu if you get 200% confident you won’t drop it on your face, but a light KB is quite safe. Search for ‘Resilient’ get up by Pavel Macek.

I can only say for myself that there is some ‘pain’ that you will experience in your shoulders with tgu if your learning it without a previous strength base. Personally I did feel like my shoulder muscles had been broken down and put together in a way by my first month with tgu. Obviously it’s a ‘good’ pain as some say. the further I went up with bell sizes down the line the less it occurred after the first adaptation.

Just as a point of interest - I've actually found dumbbell TGUs to be slightly more difficult than an equivalent KB. I can't say I understand why - and it may be as simple as the fact that I almost always use a KB, so I'm just not as practiced with the dumbbell.

Anyway - if you're getting off the floor, you're doing a getup, and that's a good thing, regardless of what you're holding. Even unloaded getups can be plenty challenging (elongate, hold positions longer), and have a good toughening effect on the joints and core.

In terms of TGU difficulty KB is the most easy thanks to the fact that center of mass is below your wrist. Dumbbell is harder as it’s in the middle of your hand. And barbell gives even more challenge due to balancing the long bar.

do your therapy strongly and once you are cleared you can start practicing getups without weight.

do your therapy strongly and once you are cleared you can start practicing getups without weight.

If I have to be sincere here, got already tired of therapy, been too long in this journey and wanted to start developing some muscle around the rotator cuff that may help healing itself (those are also my therapist's words) thats why I came up with S&S.

If I have to be sincere here, got already tired of therapy, been too long in this journey and wanted to start developing some muscle around the rotator cuff that may help healing itself (those are also my therapist's words) thats why I came up with S&S.
@Eyetic, before stopping physical therapy, ask your physical therapist. I am not a medical professional, but I do know that there are some rehabilitation protocols that one is supposed to finish, no matter how good or bad you feel or how long they take. There are others where, if you ask your PT permission to stop, you may get it, but you do need to ask, or you may be told you can continue the exercises on your own, or something else. The point is that you should ask before stopping the therapy.

-S-

@Eyetic ... I am not a medical professional either... but I have had shoulder damage to both, and surgical repair of one. (And been around many others) Ligament tears can be notoriously slow to heal (and in severe cases not at all). Be careful. Don't be cavalier about your physical therapy, or about your re entry into training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom