all posts post new thread

Kettlebell A few questions about Enter the kettlebell/S&S

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

gregst

First Post
First of all, Hi all! New to this forum since I'm interested in starting training with kettlebells. I dont know which book to start with, but I'm leaning against Enter the kettlebell, but perhaps S&S would be a better choice, if so, why?

I just have a few questions about the workouts in these books, first of all, how many kettlebells and how heavy should I buy to be able to follow the programs? Im in my early thirties and weigh around 68-70kg on 181cm/5 feet 11 inches. I'm probably pretty strong for my weight (for being an inactive guy that is) since I have a background of working out a lot in a gym for 10 years, but I quit some 5 years ago due to lacking interest in gaining muscles and that whole thing with no pain no gain, eating lots of protein powders and what have you. Not my cup of tea anymore!

And how long are the workouts and how many times per week? I'm looking for a minimalistic approach to training and from the little I have gathered Pavels workouts doesn't seem to be about being in the gym 5 days a week 2 hours at a time.

And also, are the workouts geared towards just strength, or do you get some cardio with them? If not, would training cardio besides these workouts be a good idea?

My goal is to get healthier and strengthen my body in an effiecient way without putting on any muscle weight, or at least as little as possible since I just want my body to feel healthy. I'm interested in improved strength and cardio.

If anyone would take their time to read this and drop some advice, I would deeply appreciate it!

Welcome @gregst !

My goal is to get healthier and strengthen my body in an effiecient way without putting on any muscle weight, or at least as little as possible since I just want my body to feel healthy. I'm interested in improved strength and cardio.
You have definitely picked the right resources!

S&S 2.0 (revised and updated) is actually the newest interation of the "Program Minimum" that is the beginners program in Enter the Kettlebell (ETK). Thus: Get the new book.

It is intended as a "near-daily" program. 2-7 times per week with a 4-5 being the favoured frequencies. As an average strong male you are supposed to start with 16kg swings and GUs. A session last between 30 and 60 minutes, a bit depending on how much rest you take and if you include the cool-down in it or do it before going to sleep. In ETK the sessions are split (one day swings, one day TGU) and in S&S they are combined. However, you are free to do this even with S&S if time is an issue.

By the way, ETK is still a great book and features another program for pressing: Rite of Passage.

And also, are the workouts geared towards just strength, or do you get some cardio with them?
S&S will build your alactic system and also your endurance. It will do a lot for your work capacity and general health. It really is GPP (General Physical Preparation). Probably the best one-top shop there is. However, it is not strict cardio, so additional walking, running, rowing or other steady state activities would be beneficial.

Take your time and spend some time mastering the moves, if possible with an instructor (SFG) in your area. Or post a video for a form check on here. S&S is really really awesome.

This article explains some of the science behind S&S (the sample workouts are not important here, the theory is):
Understanding Why "Less Is More" with Anti-Glycolytic Training | StrongFirst

welcome..

s and s sessions for me average 40 minutes

it is a strength focused approach but you will get some cardio benefits from doing swings

Welcome @gregst !

You have definitely picked the right resources!

S&S 2.0 (revised and updated) is actually the newest interation of the "Program Minimum" that is the beginners program in Enter the Kettlebell (ETK). Thus: Get the new book.

It is intended as a "near-daily" program. 2-7 times per week with a 4-5 being the favoured frequencies. As an average strong male you are supposed to start with 16kg swings and GUs. A session last between 30 and 60 minutes, a bit depending on how much rest you take and if you include the cool-down in it or do it before going to sleep. In ETK the sessions are split (one day swings, one day TGU) and in S&S they are combined. However, you are free to do this even with S&S if time is an issue.

By the way, ETK is still a great book and features another program for pressing: Rite of Passage.

S&S will build your alactic system and also your endurance. It will do a lot for your work capacity and general health. It really is GPP (General Physical Preparation). Probably the best one-top shop there is. However, it is not strict cardio, so additional walking, running, rowing or other steady state activities would be beneficial.

Take your time and spend some time mastering the moves, if possible with an instructor (SFG) in your area. Or post a video for a form check on here. S&S is really really awesome.

This article explains some of the science behind S&S (the sample workouts are not important here, the theory is):
Understanding Why "Less Is More" with Anti-Glycolytic Training | StrongFirst

Thanks for a brilliant reply! I'm ordering simple and sinister today then, along with a 16kg kettlebell. :) I heard him talking about training endurance with kettlebells on joe rogan's podcast, where he talked about doing swings for around 40 minutes, with enough breaks between reps that you would just be slightly out of breath. Wondering if this is mentioned within the S&S book? And by the way, would there be any reason to buy the other book, quick and the dead?

Again, thanks for a really good answer. You made it easy for me to get confident in starting this path of training!

Oh, for cardio that is, doing swings for 40 minutes. Forgot to mention.
I am pretty sure he was referring to A+A swings which is more advanced. S&S will build the same qualities albeit in different measures. S&S + slow jogging or walking will give you plenty of endurance.

Get strong and able with S&S first. There is no rush. The longer it takes to build your physical qualities the longer they will stick. Once you have achieved Timeless Simple you could explore more A+A style stuff. At least that is how strong people like @Harald Motz have done it.

A+A has usually sets of 5 with talk test based rest for 20 to 40 sets (aka "repeats"). S&S is in sets of 10 which build more muscle. Check Harald Motz on youtube for some fine examples of different styles of SF programming. He build is foundation with S&S, btw.

Enjoy the ride and take the time to learn it. Reread the book evry now and then as it is packed with great details.

Will do some training according to S&S and some slow jogging. Thanks a lot for the help!! Much needed. Have a good christmas and a new year my fellow stranger :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom