all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Grip training

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deleted member 316

I wasn't sure whwh to put as the title of this thread. My days are taking a toll. Working twelve hours and commuting almost four hours doesn't leave much time or steam for much. My shift will soon be pretty much two on two off (right now it's four on four off). I was thinking about using my grippers on the way to work and no other training on work days and leave actual training for my days off. I might be able to find time for some bodyweight stuff while at work.

Do you have a pull-up bar (or something that could act like one) at work? I have been solely doing calisthenics for the past years and my grip improved tremendously from just one exercise: hanging.

Start by hanging a total of 2 minutes and gradually increase the time to hang even longer.

Example:

Week 1: 6 sets of 20s = 2 minutes
Week 2: 4 sets of 30s = 2 minutes
Week 3: 5 sets of 30s = 2:30 minutes

And so on.

Once you are comfortable, start doing 1-arm hangs:

Week 1: 4 sets of 30s L/4 sets of 30s right = 2 minutes on each side
Week 2: 4 sets of 35s L/4 sets of 35s right = 2:20 minutes on each side
Week 3: 6 sets of 30s L/6 sets of 30s right = 3 minutes on each side

Not everyone may agree with me on this one, but I feel like grip strength doesn't necessarily have to be worked on directly. You work on it while doing pull-ups, Romanian deadlifts, etc.

And if you can get your hands on a pair of gymnastics rings (not expensive; about $20 or so), doing pulling exercises on those, like pull-ups, inverted rows, and rings scapula retraction, will help your grip tremendously.

And since I've mentioned it...

Doing rings scapula retraction for 3-4 sets of 5-8 reps, holding each repetition at the top for 3 seconds, will kill your forearms and help in other areas too.

If you have any questions let me know.

Long work hours with additional usually non-value added commuting can be challenging. I suppose that squeezing a gripper whilst driving or sitting in a train is better than nothing. It's not really a good substitute for proper grip training, but like I said better than nothing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom