all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Swinging Above 32kg and Over 50

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oso Rojo

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm 57 and I'm making the transition from 32kg to 36kg. Today it was 40@32 and 60@36.

I'm curious of anyone else is in this age range and driving heavier on the swing?

I'm currently squatting and dead lifting a linear progression starting very light and working 5lbs a session and lifting 3 times a week. This is to rehab from my MCL tear in the right knee. In addition to these two movements I'm alternating swinging and cleans each session. I've never done cleans before so I figured it was a good time to try mixing them into my program. (Plus my trainer wants to see me do them since she taught me, hahaha.)

After a couple of weeks of this I'm noticing my swing strength is actually improving on the once and twice a week schedule. This implies to me the extra days of recovery are needed.

I'm curious how are others scheduling their swing progress as they move above 32kg. Are you everyday, three or four days a week, even less?

Thanks!

In addition to these two movements I'm alternating swinging and cleans each session
So you are only having two ballistic sessions per week, one of them being swings? Or asked another way: what is your weekly template?

Interesting report :)

Week One
Day 1 Squat, Dead, Swing
Day 2 Squat, Dead, Clean
Day 3 Squat, Dead, Swing

Week Two
Day 1 Squat, Dead, Clean
Day 2 Squat, Dead, Swing
Day 3 Squat, Dead, Clean

I'm 56 and currently swinging a 32; TGUs with 28, starting to integrate a 32.

A few months ago I was doing S&S with a 28, 5-6 days a week and started picking up niggles in my traps, wrists and back.

I've backed off to 2 to 3 times a week and the niggles have slowly receded.
I've also progressed to a 32 as stated above.
I know the book says aim for S&S daily, but this seems to work better for me.

I feel that I will progress to a 40kg swing by the end of the year. 40kg TGUs may take a bit longer.

I do however do lot of other sport including running, swimming, cycling and paddling.

I'm one are all the way.

davidlbn "I know the book says aim for S&S daily, but this seems to work better for me."

The second edition says "Cut the training back from nearly daily to three to four times a week: ..."
When talking about moving above 32kg.

I have yet to get my TGU to 32, I'm still at 24, but I tore my MCL and I can't do the movement yet. That's why I'm doing the heavy squatting and dead lifting to build up that knee.

@Oso Rojo
I'm 61 this weekend.. sometimes I swing the 48 2hand, but I'll say it's more about the quality and explosiveness of the swing that really matters.
Snatch is my main movement so I don't do one hand swings much if at all anymore. The 2hsw has made all the difference for knee and lower back health, after decades of weight training using barbell and dumbbell.
At late fifties and above recovery becomes the number one priority.. listen to your body, rest, sleep well and enough, eat right with some fasting etc.. all else seems to then take care of itself.

The more I live, the more I become convinced that "listen to your body" is THE thing when I'm training, eating, etc.
I'm just 43 (still a boy, ehh :D), and I just completed timeless simple, so I'm transitioning to 36kg as well. Being familiar with 100 1 hand swing makes not a big problem to pass to 36 kg.
So, the regiment for me is really flexible. I'm doing Q&D 3-4 times a week, and S&S 1-2 times a week, and the schedule and the load are always highly dependable on how I feel. Actually, for the Q&D training, my own "Flip a coin" is my state of preparedness.
I also experimented in the past with having powerlifting and kb training at the same session, and if you want to dedicate yourself to something particular, in my opinion it's not a best idea to have it at the same session. The more you invest into one of the regiments, the the more mediocre other will be. I won't even have a barbell squat and barbell deadlift at the same day, but this is highly personal approach. It may work for you, seeing you mentioned doing light weights for sq/dl.
I think, that if you're feeling fresh the day after your powerlifting session, it is worth to dedicate 30 minutes on the separate day to S&S. So, one day sq/dl, one day S&S, one day rest - for example.

I also experimented in the past with having powerlifting and kb training at the same session, and if you want to dedicate yourself to something particular, in my opinion it's not a best idea to have it at the same session. The more you invest into one of the regiments, the the more mediocre other will be. I won't even have a barbell squat and barbell deadlift at the same day, but this is highly personal approach. It may work for you, seeing you mentioned doing light weights for sq/dl.
I think, that if you're feeling fresh the day after your powerlifting session, it is worth to dedicate 30 minutes on the separate day to S&S. So, one day sq/dl, one day S&S, one day rest - for example.
Good advice here^^

Every body recovers differently, and at different rates depending on physiology and life conditions. A body and mind under high stress and not sleeping well doesn't recover efficiently, so wise training decisions need to to be made.
It's an art for sure, I still screw it up sometimes..

I’m 59. Had moved up to timed simple with 32 til edition 2. Now following that and progressed steadily from 32 adding in 40’s now at 32x4, 40x6 on swings and get ups 3 days + Fridays timed with 24’s.
Also following ETK press ladders 3 times weekly as per programme and throw in some carries and hanging when feels right.
Find S&S programme perfect as written

I’m 59. Had moved up to timed simple with 32 til edition 2. Now following that and progressed steadily from 32 adding in 40’s now at 32x4, 40x6 on swings and get ups 3 days + Fridays timed with 24’s.
Also following ETK press ladders 3 times weekly as per programme and throw in some carries and hanging when feels right.
Find S&S programme perfect as written

Welcome to the forum! That’s a really impressive volume. What’s your training history?

until 40 running and hillwalking then barbell lifting mainly deadlifts squats Olympic lifts and kettlebells Viking warrior conditioning, pressing ladders and GS sessions. Then after seeing gymnastic body conditioning articles moved over to that exclusively. However tried to progress without adequate mobility and 2 years ago tore something in shoulder doing Korean dips, tried restarting from beginning but struggled to get back to where I was.
Then started S&S a year ago, initially with 16kg at end of whatever else I was doing and was hooked.
Try now to combine what I said before with OS, and mobility like flexible steel
Frustrated that pressing remains relatively weak; ladders with 16 and 20 whereas previously with 32 comfortably, but pleased with S&S progress.

Turned 50 last weekend. Most days I will do sets of 10 1HS for between 8-14 rounds or 1HS for 20-40 rounds with the 32. If I decide to jump to a 36 like I did this afternoon I will do 10-12 rounds with the 32 and 6-10 with the 36 for 5 reps.If I jump up in weight I will cycle back the rounds so as not to kill recovery.

Frustrated that pressing remains relatively weak; ladders with 16 and 20 whereas previously with 32 comfortably, but pleased with S&S progress.
I can relate to this, my OH pressing days are effectively done, these days I'm thankful I can do most everything else without issue.

Started today press cycle with 20kg. 3 ladders of 3 rungs and aim to continue heavy medium light Saturday, Tuesday evening and Thursday evening as per programme and continue timeless S&S Monday Tuesday Thursday am. with timed on Friday again as per programme

58.5 years old. I was doing S&S religiously 3xs/week for about 9 months. I was doing it wrong...but was still making gains.
My problem was that I was doing the simple standard (32kg) every time...but it worked and I had no issues.
Then I got a 40kg in early September and tried to maintain the standard (timing wise). 1 arm swings...no problem...TGU's..a problem.
In mid November I tweaked my shoulder/tri trying to control the Bulldog on the way down on a TGU. (From step 7 all the way to 14).
I'm still recovering...
So...my advice is to set aside your ego, listen to your body, purchase S&S 2.0 and Q&D and read Pavels latest info on mitochondrial growth. Listen to his podcast with Joe Rogan and follow his advice.
Less is more, truly own the kb before moving up and make haste slowly.
Re: swing progress...own the 32kg on 1 arm swings then progress directly to the 40kg. Do what you can in a set, rest for AT LEAST 60 seconds switch sides and repeat. Alternate until you get your allotted set count in. (Hint- your grip will go first so get chalk, it's a lifesaver).
40 years of pushing iron and I'm finally accepting that longer rest periods between sets, not going to failure and limiting workouts to 45 mins max is the intelligent way to go. Reality...your body will let you know if you're messing up.

Started today press cycle with 20kg. 3 ladders of 3 rungs and aim to continue heavy medium light Saturday, Tuesday evening and Thursday evening as per programme and continue timeless S&S Monday Tuesday Thursday am. with timed on Friday again as per programme
This is really impressive!

I’m slowly trying to introduce ROP ladders but only light and medium days, light weight, along S&S 32-40kg transition. At 33 y.o. it’s almost too much. Your overall weekly volume is massive!

Respect!

I think the programme as per S&S2 is incredible. It allows gradual progression at a pace that’s right for you in each session with the ability to scale back if required. I found previously doing daily 32 and trying to reach timed target too frequently much less productive than the latest advice. Now Fridays is timed with the 24 until timeless solid is achieved. With the 24 you can still put a lot into your swings and aim to perfect your getup. You are therefore pacing yourself better the whole week allowing to experiment introducing other training.

I'm 57 and I'm making the transition from 32kg to 36kg. Today it was 40@32 and 60@36.

I'm curious of anyone else is in this age range and driving heavier on the swing?

I'm currently squatting and dead lifting a linear progression starting very light and working 5lbs a session and lifting 3 times a week. This is to rehab from my MCL tear in the right knee. In addition to these two movements I'm alternating swinging and cleans each session. I've never done cleans before so I figured it was a good time to try mixing them into my program. (Plus my trainer wants to see me do them since she taught me, hahaha.)

After a couple of weeks of this I'm noticing my swing strength is actually improving on the once and twice a week schedule. This implies to me the extra days of recovery are needed.

I'm curious how are others scheduling their swing progress as they move above 32kg. Are you everyday, three or four days a week, even less?

Thanks!

At 50, the way I approach almost all training issues is the following question: What can I recover from?

You could also swing more often with or the same less volume, wave the volume, and/or wave the load. For example, a light volume swing day, a medium weight, medium volume day, and a heavier, lower volume day.

The other thing you could do is deadlift and more swings for two weeks and then switch for squats and swings, rather than dead and squat.

You could also do complexes with your KB work. Swing, Swing, clean, Press, repeat Front squat works well with this.
Only cleans is pretty brutal.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom