all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Total rebuild?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PDM32

First Post
I’ve been reading through S&S 2.0, on my third time through now, and I’m finding more and more things I haven’t been doing quite right. Some related to technique, mostly related to rest periods and trying to progress too quickly. I‘ve been training for a number of years, first with barbells, the last few years with kettlebells. On my S&S journey, I worked up to ”solid” a couple years ago, bounced around on a few other things, but always more or less maintained ownership of “simple”.

I’m coming back from a two month layoff of all training (not injury related) and want to go back to S&S. Thinking back to some of the mistakes I’ve been making, and some of the wear and tear I’ve accumulated, I’m thinking about trying a total rebuild starting back with the 24 kg and following the progression as outlined in the book. Does this sound like a good plan, or perhaps unnecessary if you have a background with the program and other forms of training?

Use the first session back as a gauge to guide you what your next steps will be and take it from there

I’m coming back from a two month layoff of all training (not injury related) and want to go back to S&S. Thinking back to some of the mistakes I’ve been making, and some of the wear and tear I’ve accumulated, I’m thinking about trying a total rebuild starting back with the 24 kg and following the progression as outlined in the book. Does this sound like a good plan, or perhaps unnecessary if you have a background with the program and other forms of training?

Perhaps unnecessary, but not a bad plan. There's certainly no harm in it, if you do as the phrase in bold says -- follow the progression as outlined in the book. Note that the progression has no specific timeline; you follow standards and guidelines to know when to move up. So you very well might progress through in 3 weeks what previously took you 9 months. No problem.

I had a similar progression last year after recovering from surgery. I just finished an article about it that has been submitted and hopefully will be published as a StrongFirst article in the next couple of months. There are some great opportunities inherent in stepping back and rebuilding. Just don't hold yourself back artificially from progressing -- pay attention to the right signs, and you might ride this potentially faster second wave even farther than the first.

I'm sort of in the same boat. After a few months off, I've started back with S&S 2.0 also.
I started with the 16kg the first week, then the 20kg the second week. I'll move up to the 24 kg next week.
I have been totally focussing on Perfect Technique! As best as I know how, anyways. I find that the lighter the bell, the worse my form is.
So I don't want to progress to quickly without dialling in my form. For me it's getting deeper in the hip hinge and using enough force, as though it were a much heavier bell. I'm trying to make the light bells hard, so the heavy bells will feel easier.
Previously, I have always used sock sleeves. This time I am going to use chalk!
Good luck.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom