all posts post new thread

Kettlebell From timeless to simple

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

matteo

Level 6 Valued Member
Ok, I am near the timeless simple milestone, my plan now is to go ahead and reach the simple. So my training frequency will go from 5/6 days a week to 3/4 days. One aspect of the program that is in my opinion underestimated is that to reach the simple goal you must also get the timeless goal with the 40 kg! I think It will be a long and stimulating journey.. However, my question is to hear from you if you have any suggestions for structuring the 2/3 days of variety days. Thanks
Matteo

I’m had been on this route since September. Started practicing some variety sessions last month to work on C&P, pistol or front squat, sometimes snatch. It’s filling in the strength gaps left by S&S in my case. But it might be slowing S&S progress a bit, to early to say definitively.

If you want to add variety, considering the following:
- separate session on other part of the same training day, Strenght Shortcut style
- post weekly 24kg ‘test’ style session, you should have enough in the tank for some more training once you catched your breath. I started doing it with 28kg and it’s still fine for some press work later
- if you strip down S&S to 3 days total you can fit in 2-3 days of variety. But it leaves you with just two sessions per week of proper S&S. After one such week I already did not like my TGU strength, but that might have been related to stress and fatigue outside my training.

Good luck and please share your thoughts later down the road.

Thank you Molson, I too have been following the program since September and am thrilled with the results. Thanks for the tips, out of curiosity are you already training with the 40kg?

OK I'm probably gonna catch some flack from the S&S police, but it you have enough energy for variety days, you might have enough energy to do S&S for more than 3/4 days a week. Version 2.0 is obviously the "kinder & gentler" version where Pavel laid more ground rules to remove a lot of questions to get more compliance to the program. But, not everyone has to stop 5/6 days a week when you hit 32kg. It's kind of like, the best variety day exercises to help S&S is more TGU's and swings. Depending on your size and training history, you'll eventually get to a weight that becomes difficult to go that many days, that's when you back off days or make some of them light days. You will make the fast progress doing S&S more frequently. You will make the fastest progress going "heavy" more frequently.

Everybody's different. 32kg is a general point where a lot of guys need to back it down and add in rest days or light recovery days, but if you can actually handle more, then you are leaving a lot on the table. Volume by frequency is why this program works magically as GPP, At some point, when the focus on intensity overcomes the focus on volume it starts to become more of a specialization program for swings and get ups. JMO

First time I unlocked timed simple, the most I can do was timeless 36kg but I had the timed getup with 36kg...

A good barometer is if you can do the swings in 45 second intervals and not be too spent, rest a minute then do getups one getup every 90 seconds..

If you can do this for 3 straight weeks with thrice a week frequency, I have a strong feeling you'll unlock timed simple

thanks guys for your inputs. You know how it is, the program is fine, it gives results and despite this we have a tendency to add something or change something .. I think now my desire is to dominate that 40kg kettlebell that has been looking at me for too long with an air of challenge. I will remain as faithful as possible to the program. I'll keep you up-to-date. Let me say that the s & s is a journey even a little inside ourselves.

The following is talking about variety days in general, rather than talking about variety days for Simple and Sinister specifically. When one is on a program that deliberately has limited variety, having days where one is free to do something completely different outside of that program can make it easier to stick with the program. The last time I did marathon training, I also had a season pass from a local kayak company, and having days where I could just indulge in kayaking made it easier to stick with the marathon program on training days.

Thank you Molson, I too have been following the program since September and am thrilled with the results. Thanks for the tips, out of curiosity are you already training with the 40kg?
I had been on the program for almost 14 months now. I had been incorporating the 40kg bell since September, following Pavel Macek’s Advice for building the strength base with nex bell size, that was to be soon captured in the updated book.

Currently I’m at 32-40-40-40-32, aiming for next jump next week.

Totally agree. Follow the plan as per S&S2.
I started about a year ago with 16 and gradually progressed to timed simple with the 32 until updated programme.
Now completed 32 x 4 and 40 x 6 for 4 weeks, 3 days a week with timed 24 on a Friday so step up next week.
Happy to build strength with 40 and once timeless with 40 achieved, move on with timed 32 and purchase a 48 to progress.
Might rotate for interval to something different and do two days for maintenance and just get used to feel of 48 with walks and cleans/front squats as able

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom