all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Using transitions between S&S techniques to explore body movement

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Timmer C

Level 6 Valued Member
When I need to get down on the floor prior to starting a glute bridge or Turkish get up, I like to get to the floor by using a back break fall or a forward break fall. (See Judo Fundamentals: Ukemi (Fall breaking) | Judo Channel | Token Corporation: Official partner of the All Japan Judo Federation (Zenjuren) for examples of what I mean.). And when I am done with glute bridges or Turkish get ups, I like to explore ways of getting up from being on my back to standing up without using my hands or arms to support myself.). I’m curious if anyone else is using these transitional moments to explore different ways of getting to the floor and getting off of the floor. I suppose for those of you studying jujutsu, aikido, judo, etc., these movements my seem like old hat. I am not studying any martial art at present, but I still see the value of such body movements...

Have a you seen or tried a double bell TGU? That might be something for you. There’s no use of arms to leverage of the ground.

Actually I do. Either a squating backrollish thing or tgu going down and a tgu to get up after a set. One thing I noticed with doing the get up after a set of tgu's is I have to concentrate to switch sides. One side just feels more comfortable and intuitive.

@Timmer C, when you are old old old, you will look back and thank yourself! I have not trained any martial art in 20+ years. In my early 40's did Aikido (which is more movement training than a martial art I think). Couple years ago, helping a friend load a very heavy piece of equipment on to the roof of his truck it got away from us. I had a good grip and before I could let go, it launched me over the roof and to the asphalt driveway on the other side, head first and ½ upside down. No thought, no hesitation, just a smooth front roll to standing. The fans went wild HAH! And I was unscathed except for a tiny bit of road rash. Pay back for hours spent training ukemi.

I've recently seen a few articles about how "how to fall safely training" for the elderly is much. more effective for injury prevention that "fall prevention training".

Something I usually do when standing up from the TGU is to practice a semi pistol squat. Dont know if it helped much but it certainly didnt hurt.

Thanks all. The responses to this thread have been influential on me. Not only have I been continuing doing these body movements as transitions between Simple and Sinister techniques, but I’ve started modifying the time I typically spend on my personal yoga practice to include more of such body movements. I don’t care if these movements are not yoga, as I find them worth doing. (Of course, I am also a yoga practitioner who replaced the balance work of the tree pose with the balance work of a side kick.....).

I don’t care if these movements are not yoga, as I find them worth doing. (Of course, I am also a yoga practitioner who replaced the balance work of the tree pose with the balance work of a side kick.....).
Yoga has been around for a very long time and there's so much history that there is undoubtedly a whole lot lost or obscure today. If it were possible to know all that has been "yoga" over the millennia, I would not be at all surprised to find side kicks and a whole lot else we might not suspect included

Full disclosure--I can never leave things as I find them, always tweak, improvise, modify. Sometimes to my detriment but mostly it seems, to my benefit.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom