all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Lower back pain during swing.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Hebdomeros

Level 1 Valued Member
My form is something that I’m not 100% confident about

I just went up to the 24kg kettlebell yesterday and felt strong during the lifts yesterday but then my lower back started hurting that night and has been hurting all day so far.

I looked up an article and the few suggestions indicated I may have been leaning back too much to overcompensate during the swing .

I can’t really tell what I’m doing wrong so I just recorded this video but I’m still not sure if what I’m doing is okay or not. I’m using the 16kg in the video .

Thanks for your help,

Jon

I think you squatting too low. It should be a hinge movement, so the bell shouldn't go much lower than the knees. Squat swing tends to force the back into less than ideal position as well.

There are quite a few videos on how to fix this.

Actually, the bell is not heavy enough. A light bell doesn’t reinforce good form. A heavy enough or “Goldilocks” bell keeps your form honest.

Also, you are breaking at the knees early which results in a squat. This prevents loading your hamstrings, what I call “coiling the spring.”

Last thing: forcefully hike the bell back, shoot it forward with your hips, plank upright, and then guide it back to the hinge position. You are starting slowly and accelerating. From start to finish, one should be popping the bell.

I’m gonna see about doing a session with an SFG near me. I have some new habits I need to learn. I thought I was doing it right and didnt need help but I was a damn fool and now my back needs to recover or possibly see a doctor.

I’m gonna see about doing a session with an SFG near me. I have some new habits I need to learn. I thought I was doing it right and didnt need help but I was a damn fool and now my back needs to recover or possibly see a doctor.

It's great that you asked! Your form is seen often in the gym, so don't feel bad. We just know a better way here. You've come to the right place.

I'm guessing your back will be fine after a day or two of rest. Most likely just a little overloading of tissues that weren't used to it.

A session with an SFG is always a great idea!

I developed low back pain in the fall of 2018. All through 2019 it grew worse. My body started hitting the brakes on my strength and I was regressing for the last 4 or 5 months. I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Finally, about a month ago, I was listening to a podcast about swings. The hosts gave the que of "playing chicken with your fly". Right before the kettlebell comes into the groin area, hip hinge.

It was like magic. I'm now doing 100 swings and a 100 push presses almost daily with no pain. My body snapped back so fast it felt like a miracle. Go ahead and give it a try.

just thinking:
tightening a strap around knee while swinging the kettlebell should prevent squatting and force hip hinge, right?

A session with an SFG is the best way to learn to hinge properly. Trying to force anything usually causes one to concentrate on all the negative aspects.

Don't forget to contract your pelvis and abs at the up position...

...leaning back too much to overcompensate during the swing .

Hyperextension

Leaning back too much is usually the reason for back pain on Swings, Back Raises/Extensions, Deadlifts, etc.

Leaning back too far occurs when you look up or throw your head back during a movement.

The way to resolve that issue and maintain a neutral spine is...

Neck Packing

Neck Packing ensure that you don't hyperextend, lean back too much.

Packing The Neck

This article by Dr. Charlie Weingroff, Physical Therapist provide information on it.

Deadlift Neck Packing

Contreras' video demonstrates Neck Packing with the Deadlift. The same concept applies with Swing and Back Raises.

Keying Neck Packing

A simple method to key into tucking your neck into your chest is to put have your shirt tucked into your pants and bit down on it.

Last edited:

Both of these are excellent ideas. The movements look deceptively simple online or in a book. There is no substitute for solid, in-person coaching.

If you're concerned about your back you should get it diagnosed by a professional. Hopefully it's just a little sore from bad form!

Stay strong, my friend!
John

I just went up to the 24kg kettlebell yesterday and felt strong during the lifts yesterday but then my lower back started hurting that night and has been hurting all day so far.

I looked up an article and the few suggestions indicated I may have been leaning back too much to overcompensate during the swing .

I can’t really tell what I’m doing wrong so I just recorded this video but I’m still not sure if what I’m doing is okay or not. I’m using the 16kg in the video .

Thanks for your help,

Jon
Sure you can and should improve the technique but I think your lower back is just week. To make your lower back stronger you need to work your lower back, not to avoid loading it like some people say. I would do some grinds first before moving to dynamic moves. Barbell deadlift is your solution. Back extensions and reverse hypers will work too.

Thanks for your help,

Jon

Thanks for your help,

Jon

Don't feel bad, just get some instruction. The one day SF course is useful. I now think that people should not do the swing without instruction. I just see such awful swings at the gym that may result in back pain. I also hyperextended and did not realize it.

The Pavel M. video is great. Really helped me. The other thing is make sure you concentrate on the standing plank. That is the way to fix the hyperextension. I agree that the bell is not too heavy. In fact, it is hard to do a very light swing properly. You will quickly adjust.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom